Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ECU Tester: What's it worth?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSMskater wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
How do test a E.C.U. by itself with a volt meter? Confused

You don't. The 1218 can test a few of the circuits, but not comprehensively. But the fact is, if it runs at all, the ECU is probably fine.

You test the wires and sensors with a VOM, though. That's all the VW and Bosch testers do. They just automate it.

The P.O. of Mr. P cut most of the harness wires, but left everything else in its place. So, now she has an E.C.U. that needs to be tested, to derive whether it is usable.

I've got a 1218 Tester.

But, you are never available, and do not want to depend on you. Wink I have to depend on myself, because Jack is busy, and Paul has issues (trying to be polite).

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Nice to play with for actually checking ECU functions in order....but other than that....and liking to have a cool piece of trivia....you can do more and better with a digital volt meter. Totally uncessary in this day and age to work on D-jet...

I disagree. The tester allows one to quickly diagnose the system with minimal learning and fuss.
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
JSMskater wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
How do test a E.C.U. by itself with a volt meter? Confused

You don't. The 1218 can test a few of the circuits, but not comprehensively. But the fact is, if it runs at all, the ECU is probably fine.

You test the wires and sensors with a VOM, though. That's all the VW and Bosch testers do. They just automate it.

The P.O. of Mr. P cut most of the harness wires, but left everything else in its place. So, now she has an E.C.U. that needs to be tested, to derive whether it is usable.

I've got a 1218 Tester.

But, you are never available, and do not want to depend on you. Wink I have to depend on myself, because Jack is busy, and Paul has issues (trying to be polite).

Not much I can do about that Laughing
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:

Unless you know it was damaged, assume it is fine. You are 99.9% likely to be right if you do. And if you aren't, you will have set everything else right, and can buy another ECU for under $50.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

Unless you know it was damaged, assume it is fine. You are 99.9% likely to be right if you do. And if you aren't, you will have set everything else right, and can buy another ECU for under $50.

Thank you! Very Happy

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alex608
Fat Chick T3s Rule

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the tester i got at bugorama

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I tried it out on my square and found a few faults(higher than specified resistence)

It does give you that "mad doctor" feeling with all the switches and buttons.
does any one know where i can get a test procedure for it?I used the one in the bently but it seemed to not cover all the settings on the tester.

'71 FI square...The daily driver

" At times It is better for one to keep his mouth shut and be thought of as a fool...

Than to open his mouth and erase all doubts..."
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex608 wrote:
Here is the tester i got at bugorama

I tried it out on my square and found a few faults(higher than specified resistence)

It does give you that "mad doctor" feeling with all the switches and buttons.
does any one know where i can get a test procedure for it?I used the one in the bently but it seemed to not cover all the settings on the tester.

I get a chub every time i see one of those. I have the 1218 but I want to get my hands on one similar to yours, perhaps at the classic if I can score one.
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours is a later model and has modes that do not apply to the earlier models. The only other things not covered in Bentley are the buttons to manually fire the injectors.
BrentGroth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: I'm trying to find a EFI associates tester Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
This is the one we used back when I was at the dealers. It made it fairly simple to adjust the MPS. Along with an exhaust gas analyzer.

I sold one of these recently to a person in Europe. Seeing as how the Europeans never go the FI on their cars, I can only assume that buyer had an American version car.

I personally have the 1218 tester. It works pretty good, and will tell you pretty quick what part of the system the trouble is in, and where to use your VOM.

I'm looking for EFI Associates testers or at least copies of their instructions. I worked at VW America and VW Pacific when Luis Ero designed them.
[email protected]
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: ECU Tester: What's it worth? Reply with quote

Paul Anders (914 site) had a good discussion of the testers, and where they came from. I don't think he was able to drill down and find anyone now, but you might start with an email to him to not retrace his steps.

https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/

https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/Testers.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: