Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thoughts on a Bradley GT
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReVo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on a Bradley GT Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I'm new to this site and sort of new to the VW world. Since I was a kid I have dreamed of two things. 1. Owning a sports car of some type. 2. Owning a VW Split window. Since I can't do the second thing due to the fact my funds won't allow I felt I could at the very least sort of kill two birds with one proverbial stone. Ergo the kit car. I found a complete Bradley GT on a 69 chassis with a 1900 dual port. The car runs, drives and needs little to get it up to speed. However, it needs floorpans and a little love. The frame is strait and solid but has some surface rust on the rear suspension components and it needs a oil pressure sensor. The gel coat is there but needs a good buffing. My main question here would be is it worth 1600 dollars? It has a clean title. (as a beetle)
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a Bradley GT Reply with quote

$1600 is not unreasonable. Does it have its doors? Those are almost impossible to find.

What are your mechanical abilities?
ReVo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a Bradley GT Reply with quote

I was an auto mechanic for 7 years plus I took two years of an engineering class in high school where I hand built three full suspension buggies from scratch. I also currently work on medical endoscopes. So I guess I'm relatively good with my hands. lol Very Happy The Bradley has both plexiglass doors which I'm certain have been remade with lexan. It also has the fastback rear glass.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a Bradley GT Reply with quote

Sounds like you could handle the mechanical aspects of the car. The price sounds reasonable. If you posted some pictures we might be able to tell you more. Get it. Have fun with it. I drive my Kelmark all over the place! Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
ReVo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a Bradley GT Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not the best photos but they will work!
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a Bradley GT Reply with quote

Yup....worth $1600. If would buy it.
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a Bradley GT Reply with quote

$1600 is a great price for the car. Looks like a freshen up will be perfect. Drive it for at least a summer BEFORE you do any upgrades (other than safety or minimum efforts), otherwise it will be a money hole.

What part of MI?
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a Bradley GT Reply with quote

Not a huge Bradley fan but I think that looks like it is all there and has huge fun potential!

I would throw out only a few questions which anyone buying any kit car should ask themselves:

Once it is done, do I expect to get my money back out of it in cash, or fun? If its fun, go for it.

Am I looking for a project or something that "just needs a few things" that I can drive? I think you are a project guy, so again, I'd say go for it. The guy wanting to just drive it is likely to get frustrated.

Its low, its slippery aerodynamically (relative to other ACVWs) and with even minor suspension and powerplant work, can give you a lotta good times. If you've got the money, the space, the skills and the time, I don't know why its not already in your shop!

Good luck. If you buy it start a build thread here, its nice to see a car like this get good treatment!

Love that the same material used on the seats was used on the whole interior of the car. If that stuff isn't really glued down, removing it and coating those drum heads, I mean interior body panels, with some sound deadening material would be good. The two Bradleys I rode in were noisier than my buggy.

Last edited by wythac on Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a Bradley GT Reply with quote

I would have already brought it home! Very Happy

And my wife would have killed me. Rolling Eyes

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a Bradley GT Reply with quote

Be cautious with rubbing compiound. Mequires makes a variety of cleaner waxes for boats and I would try the mildest one first. Thats assuming you buy it.
Looks like a deal - get it and have fun.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a Bradley GT Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
Not a huge Bradley fan but I think that looks like it is all there and has huge fun potential!

I would throw out only a few questions which anyone buying any kit car should ask themselves:

Once it is done, do I expect to get my money back out of it in cash, or fun? If its fun, go for it.

Am I looking for a project or something that "just needs a few things" that I can drive? I think you are a project guy, so again, I'd say go for it. The guy wanting to just drive it is likely to get frustrated.

Its low, its slippery aerodynamically (relative to other ACVWs) and with even minor suspension and powerplant work, can give you a lotta good times. If you've got the money, the space, the skills and the time, I don't know why its not already in your shop!

Good luck. If you buy it start a build thread here, its nice to see a car like this get good treatment!

Love that the same material used on the seats was used on the whole interior of the car. If that stuff isn't really glued down, removing it and coating those drum heads, I mean interior body panels, with some sound deadening material would be good. The two Bradleys I rode in were noisier than my buggy.

X2

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
woodoctr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a Bradley GT Reply with quote

I was an original builder/tester for Bradley back in the day. My father and I would build the car and keep notes so they could make a better build manual later. In exchange we got quite a bit knocked off the price and free delivery of everything. You are looking at a full tilt kit equipped with every factory option that they sold. Factory full upholstery package (can't believe that it still in that shape!), nerf bars, deck pins, fender mirrors, and complete VDO package along with steering wheel.
I would not hesitate to buy that car. It should be an easy save and could be easily modded for a lot of fun.
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a Bradley GT Reply with quote

Keep in mind this is a sicko magnet. A friend has a nice one, he said he can not leave it unattended or it will be vandalized by some sick, jealous, deranged moron. Happen to him many times.

I would go for it, have fun fixing it up and driving it around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a Bradley GT Reply with quote

Before you drive it anywhere remove the power pulley and replace it with a stock size pulley. If you don't you will burn up the engine (if it hasn't already been damaged).
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a Bradley GT Reply with quote

R-Dave... It the 'power pulley' the degree'd wheel on the crankshaft? How can you tell if it is under/oversize without a stock pulley next to it? (jumping on ReVo's thread, but assume he does not also know) ...and maybe you can expand what you mean by 'burn up' for us greenies.

ReVo.. I am not a fan of small, low, enclosed cars but the price is sure seductive. I'm sure you could have fun with it.

Jim
Manx #2614
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a Bradley GT Reply with quote

Wetstuff wrote:
R-Dave... It the 'power pulley' the degree'd wheel on the crankshaft? Jim
Yes.

Wetstuff wrote:
How can you tell if it is under/oversize without a stock pulley next to it? (jumping on ReVo's thread, but assume he does not also know)Jim
When you've been around these cars for a while you can tell just by looking.

Wetstuff wrote:
...and maybe you can expand what you mean by 'burn up' for us greenies.
Jim
Overheat. Burn up. Destroy. The fan turns slower so there's less cooling air to the engine and oil cooler. These cars also don't have a sealed engine compartment so they tend to recirculate the hot air that's already cooled the motor.

mark tucker wrote:
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a Bradley GT Reply with quote

Notice how the bottom crank pulley is much smaller than the curve of the sheet metal behind it. The curve is how big a stock sized pulley should be. The smaller pulley called a "power pulley" turns the fan much slower which uses less horsepower. Less cooling air causes the engine to run a lot hotter. Most kit cars with enclosed engine compartments have design problems with airflow and cause the engines to run much hotter causing them to overheat and seize requiring a complete rebuild.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a Bradley GT Reply with quote

Excellent R-D and SBD. I love a visual clue. Things get sketchy for me when you need a micrometer. Thanks.

That's also your clue ReVo.... Good luck with your new ride.

Jim
Manx #2614
ReVo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a Bradley GT Reply with quote

It seems like you all think its a good buy so I'm putting that into consideration. I appreciate all the feedback! Here is one more question. I'm 6' 2" and I would want to lower the pan under the seat by an inch or so and move them back a few inches to help me fit a little better. ( I have already driven the car and I know I can make it work. It's pretty stinking fast as it is, too! The engine is not stock.) Is there a method for making a drop pan? I was just going to purchase some new pans and mod them a tad. My brother and I are both skilled in metal fab and have access to a welder and metal working tools. I would also want to pop some seat sliders under them so my fiance can drive, too. Albeit when I finally teach her to drive a manual. (She can drive a tractor though! Laughing )
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on a Bradley GT Reply with quote

An ocean of sweet naugahyde! Nice Bradley
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: