Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's this Ghia part and Where does it go?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jtjimmie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

4965 Ghia Coupe - This part is between the rear wheel well and fender panel (on the inside, accessible from the engine compartment), one on each side.

It is sewn cheesecloth-like material stuffed with wool, or similar material.
What is its purpose?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Deadens noise, not super good at it but I believe that was their purpose.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Agree, this is sound deadener material of the day. Its secondary purpose is trapping moisture and then cause rust behind the rear wheel arch. Best to dispose of it and live without it.

Nicholas
Jtjimmie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Thank you! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

OK, as I get ready to reassemble my Ghia, in the coming months, I'm trying to get clarity on a few things. In the below pic, I found this hole coming into the area on the right side where the tail light housing is located. Is this for the wiring to that tail light? Or is it for some kind of drain tube?

I am then confused about this hole. Could it be where the old air breather tubes ran, or is it where the battery and other cables route to the starter?

And this pic, on the left side. One hole is obviously for the wiring harness, not sure which. The other I would refer to my first question, and the small hole I assume is for the cable to pop the trunk. Can I get a confirmation please?

And finally a question re the wiring harness, when I run from the front, I see where it drops down from under the dash, near where the fresh air tube is located. Does it then run to the back under the door sill and then through the hole at the back, or do I somehow run it inside the area where the heat runs? and if so, suggestions on how to guide it? Run some kind of wire to hook it and pull through? Very confused on this point.
Thanks!

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
I found this hole coming into the area on the right side where the tail light housing is located. Is this for the wiring to that tail light? Or is it for some kind of drain tube?

That's the pass through for your rear window drain tube. The second larger hole on the driver's side is for the harness.

rbsurfguy wrote:
And finally a question re the wiring harness, when I run from the front, I see where it drops down from under the dash, near where the fresh air tube is located. Does it then run to the back under the door sill and then through the hole at the back, or do I somehow run it inside the area where the heat runs...
For the '71 the harness runs along the floor beside the channel, not through it. (see pics from Nicholas at https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=314838)

Last edited by crocteau on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
OK, as I get ready to reassemble my Ghia, in the coming months, I'm trying to get clarity on a few things. In the below pic, I found this hole coming into the area on the right side where the tail light housing is located. Is this for the wiring to that tail light? Or is it for some kind of drain tube?

I am then confused about this hole. Could it be where the old air breather tubes ran, or is it where the battery and other cables route to the starter?

And this pic, on the left side. One hole is obviously for the wiring harness, not sure which. The other I would refer to my first question, and the small hole I assume is for the cable to pop the trunk. Can I get a confirmation please?

And finally a question re the wiring harness, when I run from the front, I see where it drops down from under the dash, near where the fresh air tube is located. Does it then run to the back under the door sill and then through the hole at the back, or do I somehow run it inside the area where the heat runs? and if so, suggestions on how to guide it? Run some kind of wire to hook it and pull through? Very confused on this point.
Thanks!

Having been where you are now, here are my suggestions:

1. The hole above the R side rear wheel arch is not for the taillights wiring. Those wires run from left to right inside the engine compartment (from the main wiring loom). I used that hole above the R rear wheel arch for a second wiring loom (5 wires) running from the engine in front of the dash so that I can fit additional gauges later. Maybe tach, oil pressure and engine temp.

2. The hole lower down in the R rear wheel arch area may be for the vent you mention - if you have the US system. We don't have that elsewhere in our Ghias, as far as I know.

3. The large hole in the L side (third photo) is for the main wiring loom. I threaded my old wiring loom from the back towards the front. It's easier that way to get it through that hole. It runs from there to the area in front of the firewall (R wheel arch area behind the R quarter panel) and then through a hole to UNDER the L door sillplate; then up behind the panel in front of the door. From there it goes into a hole into the area behind the dash.

The holes are small and the edges sharp. I would suggest that you make sure you have the right protective grommets in place at every hole. Coated with dishwashing liquid/water mix to facilitate the progress through the holes. It will also help if you have heatshrink over the front of the wiring loom to keep all the loose wires secure during their progress from the engine compartment to in front of the dash.

Good luck. You're at an exciting (and challenging) part of your restoration.

Last edited by kiwighia68 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Is this for the wiring to that tail light?
I forget to mention that if you look up under the overhang just above the deck lid hinges you should see some openings and short squared-off metal tabs that are supposed to help hold the wiring in place as it crosses from the driver's side to the passenger side of the engine compartment where the wire to the tail light passes by the tar board should you choose to install it. The wire to the license plate light splits off just before that point and can be held out of the way by the rain tray.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Thanks as always Crocteau and Kiwi. I knew someone would have an answer. I'll have to locate those drain holes on the inside, so I can attach the tubes properly. Crocteau, I will have to look for those little tabs to run the wires to the right side and LP light. I had a bunch of those tar board tabs removed so I can put sound mat and chrome sheet metal or some kind of cover. Will figure out if the wire tabs were removed. Thanks fellas!

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Can someone remind me what connects to this relay? Emergency Flashers?

I seem to remember it was mounted on one of the little support posts near the wiring/fuse panel, and the were a couple grounding plugs hooked to that same post. Clarification please?????

60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

turn signal relay
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Thank you Sir.

alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

I have some rubbers i didnt label and need help working out where they go.

this thick rubber around 4ft

and this rubber, its which is about 6ft long

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

The 1st one looks like engine surround seal. #2 could be the seal that goes under 1st on qtr windows. (1st as in under the metal).
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

I thought that too but no its not the engine seal. Part #2 is close to the rubber that goes under the aluminium strip but no its not.
I'm thinking have I got some old rubbers from my Lbug mixed in with the ghia rubbers?
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Ok, digging through my boxes of parts to clean, I came across the below items. The first two look like some type of cable brace. The third one I thought was part of the license plate mounting bracket but the holes don't match, then I thought it must hold something under the dash. I defer to the experts!

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Ok, digging through my boxes of parts to clean, I came across the below items. The first two look like some type of cable brace. The third one I thought was part of the license plate mounting bracket but the holes don't match, then I thought it must hold something under the dash. I defer to the experts!

This piece goes under the dash, between the steering column assembly and the metal of the dash. There should be matching bolt holes.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Noted, thanks Kiwi!

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Is this a Ghia knob of some sort? Where does it go, and to what years, Yeah, I know this knob is missing a domed cap. part number on the base of the knob is 131 255 569. Thanks for any help!

Bill

Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Is this a Ghia knob of some sort? Where does it go, and to what years, Yeah, I know this knob is missing a domed cap. part number on the base of the knob is 131 255 569. Thanks for any help!

Bill

"Dana Champion" asked the same question back in 2012 Bill: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6377441

He didn't get an answer in the forum but may have some more info...PM him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 37

Jump to: