Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanhalla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

So last summer I installed a second valve under the dash, I've insulated the floor and hump area, and I've duct taped the fresh air intake mesh screen. I still get some hot air coming out of the vents.
What's the next step? And can anything else be done before/without pulling the dash and re-sealing the old heater box?

https://www.instagram.com/bjornthebus/

Parts wanted/needed - A high top. CLK wheels. A weekender rear cabinet and head banger.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

cover the fresh air intake behind the upper grill with something impervious to wind/water.
roll down a winder if you want some fresh air..

stop all airflow from entering the airbox.

if your floor still heats from the radiator.
I've made a shroud of aluminized bubble wrap that fastens to the shroud and directs the radiator heated air down and not in direct contact with the 'firewall'
cheap, easy and waterproof
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

i think the hot air is coming from the radiating heat from the radiator. Since the radiator sandwich between the firewall. I put the reflective bubble insulation in between the firewall and radiator and it helps a bit but still get hot eventually on a long drive. Also even with the shut off valve, the heater will eventually heat up with long hot day of driving. Maybe install two shut off valve on the inlet and outlet line of the heater so it completely shut it off will help??
During the hot summer in So Cal, i have been jamming a small towel or anything to block the fresh air vent and just use the window/wing window to bring in fresh air.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McVanagon wrote:
I've seen this mod before. This guy made a trip to the Home Depot.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is it possible to do this mod in a way that makes it possible to shut off the flow without removing the trim panel? If so, pics?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:

Is it possible to do this mod in a way that makes it possible to shut off the flow without removing the trim panel? If so, pics?

Once installed you don't have to remove the panel again to open and shut off. At least I don't, but I have small hands. You just have to reach from the side and grab the lever.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662374
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

FINALLY took the time to do this mod...after many summer road trips, completely
rebuilding AC system, this should be the final step to relative road trip comfort...

Recent documentation from trip across the state & back (daughter back to college):

FWIW - We never see triple-digit temps here in Northern MN, but I do NOT
need my foot roasting in these conditions ever again... (temp at foot pedal
is actually 99° F!!! (96°F+3° correction; 88° ambient) Uff da... Rolling Eyes

This is with the reworked AC keeping the rest of the cabin comfortably 20°
below ambient & a 12" fan blowing cool air forward towards driver's foot well... Evil or Very Mad

Reflectix under all front carpet, as well as inside radiator/transmission hump
and resealing/insulating the plastic pedal linkage shroud should be good... Cool

Keep cool & see you on the road!

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

Glad you did this!

It was life changing for us, we roasted across the Country, it was HORRIBLE!!!

Since I made this mod and fixed the A/C..... "can you turn the heat on just a little?"

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HOPS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

Hey guys,

A few questions:

Will I need to drain the coolant to perform this mod?

If not - do I need to be careful of coolant spilling onto the carpet during cutting (hose)?

What size ball valve is required?

Thanks in advance.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

This is a bit pricey...gasp...cough.cough!
From GoWesty. If you check online or local FLAPS you might find better price.

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=24371

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

HOPS wrote:
Hey guys,

A few questions:

Will I need to drain the coolant to perform this mod?

If not - do I need to be careful of coolant spilling onto the carpet during cutting (hose)?

What size ball valve is required?

Thanks in advance.

Not if you buy some hose clamps to squeeze the hoses flat to stop the coolant flow.
Alternately you could use 2 pieces of wood and large vise grips, but you'd probably have to buy a vise or 2 to get both sides of the hose where the valve will go. So maybe better to get hose clamps from Harbor Freight.

It is 5/8th's heater hose so you will also need to hose barbs to fit into 5/8th hose plus teflon tape and the valve 1/2" or 3/4", but I think 1/2" would work.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

I went with TK's valve because I didn't want the big lever found on many/most 1/2" water valves.

The small control lever is much less obtrusive.

The valves with small levers aren't commonly available around here. You can get gas valves with the small levers but I'm not sure if they play with with engine coolant???

I also installed the Ford heater Valve instead of the failure prone aftermarket VW valve. Some say that the in line shut off isn't needed with a good main cable operated control valve.

I HATE to travel hot so while I had the system out and torn down I installed both for good measure.

No regrets.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

I was thinking of just using a gate valve with the "old fashioned" red round handle coming through the plastic cover just for the look of it!

HOPS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

Thanks Steve.

How do you remove the cover with an automatic transmission? I've seen instructions for the Manual trans, however I'm a little hesitant to pull it off with force
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

HOPS wrote:
Thanks Steve.

How do you remove the cover with an automatic transmission? I've seen instructions for the Manual trans, however I'm a little hesitant to pull it off with force

Never force anything especially 30 year old brittle plastic!
It was "assembled" so it can be un-assembled.

I don't have an auto so someone else will have to give you insights.
Best I can do is study the IPB of the controls.

RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
McVanagon wrote:

In my experience, the answer is yes . . . sorta.

Some time ago I got tired of the junk plastic heater valves now found in cars, so I bought four or five brass heater valves which were originally spec'd for 60's era Ford Econolines (among others). I wish I had bought a case of them because when my stock was getting low, I ordered up some more from Four Seasons and the same part number had morphed into useless plastic Chinese dreck.

I've plugged these brass valves into Vanagons at about the same spot as that ball valve shown above. The only complication is that the operating cable from the heater control panel has to be lengthened about a foot and a half.

I rout the cable around the top of the heater box left to right and approach the heater valve from the right side.

Since the operating levers on the valves I use take less of a stroke than a stock Vanagon heater valve, the lever at the control panel now stops about an inch from its original full on position at maximum heat.

Also, I remove the stock heater valve and replace it with a hose splice fitting. I know I could just open the valve fully and leave it in place, but how long will it be before a plastic valve with an internal leak starts to piss to atmosphere?

By the way, ball valves come in standard port or full port. I'm not sure why, but for any particular size a standard port valve has a greatly reduced cross sectional area compared to the full port flavor. The next time you're in Home Depot, or wherever you source your ball valves, put an eyeball on the port size. You'll probably be surprised how small a standard port is.

Richie (near The Burgh)
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

HOPS wrote:
Thanks Steve.

Put parking brake on,
Shift to low (engine off)
Firmy grasp both ends of the cover fairly high up,
Pull to the rear with strong steady force..... it will come off.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

...and then clean the tracks & add a dab of silicone grease -or- dry lube
(jig-a-loo, graphite...) before reinstalling - it'll come off easily the next time...

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

Quote:
useless plastic Chinese dreck.

Priceless.... Laughing
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon/Westy Hot Foot! Reply with quote

OMG, no wonder TK became so cynical. 9 pages for this mod seems excessive. So simple.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
McVanagon wrote:

This mod is crying to be put on vertical so that the handle tucks nicelyalong side that glovebox.

Don’t they teach aesthetics in engineering anymore.

Time for Matlock, then my nap
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: