Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone ever put a DC generator on a VW engine IN a car
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharkskinman
Lateral Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Anyone ever put a DC generator on a VW engine IN a car Reply with quote

Bout to go on a road trip tow baring the Thing..
Thought was either putting in an Inverter
But thought Why not just put a set up off a gas powered generator on it so I can merely idle or high idle the car and use 110 outlets

Me of Course wrote:
Extremity is relative to how far your willing to jump

Ward Cleaver wrote:
You ever try a pink golf ball, Wally? Why, the wind shear alone on a pink golf ball can take the head off a 90-pound midget at over 300 yards

PS4 "NKOGNEATO"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever put a DC generator on a VW engine IN a car Reply with quote

What do you need power for and when do you need it? Be way easier to just buy a small generator setup than to try to figure out how to use the car's engine to power one.
sharkskinman
Lateral Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever put a DC generator on a VW engine IN a car Reply with quote

Well.. I originally thought about a dual battery and an Inverter
(Mostly used for charging phone computer and portable marshall music box.. but Also to run a projector or electric tools...

I'm about to go on an adventure where I'm towbar in my thing I'm going to take it around to a couple places and off-road it but at the same time whenever I'm not off roading at the back seats will be down where I will have a pallet and I can use it kind of has a very small camper

Yes an Inverter is fairly simple for charging things here and there but again I guess my question would be why put in inverter in when I could just put an electric AC generator or alternator on it to create the same power as a portable generator one. And not limited to what the inverter can do.. doesn't car alternator Amp output govern wattage capabilities of the inverter

Also with ac gen/alt I can simply start car to idle or slightly higher and use a clutch like an a/c or a mount that allows me to move Onto the belt and back when not in use

Me of Course wrote:

Ward Cleaver wrote:
You ever try a pink golf ball, Wally? Why, the wind shear alone on a pink golf ball can take the head off a 90-pound midget at over 300 yards

PS4 "NKOGNEATO"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever put a DC generator on a VW engine IN a car Reply with quote

Think you will find there is more to 110vts than spinning a gen- a look "under the hood" of a generator will reveal a complicated collection of throttle controls and breakers for shorts etc. Then there is the concern of voltage spikes when a load is applied - that now being conquered by the computer friendly generators.

If your going to use a generator- it's not going to be your friend just spinning off your engine.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever put a DC generator on a VW engine IN a car Reply with quote

While I generally applaud out-of-the-box thinking, in this case I'd say that solutions to your problem have already been greatly refined, and the simplest cheapest answer is an inverter. If your power needs are great then add a dual battery setup.

A great downside to using a car as a generator is that it uses much more fuel than a standalone generator.
sharkskinman
Lateral Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever put a DC generator on a VW engine IN a car Reply with quote

That what I was looking at..
Maybe I can mount 1 (complete little 2000w generator in the engine compartment of the thing.. in also idea of Removing gas tank and feeding off car tank

Just want something More solid than an inverter coupled with 55a alternator

Me of Course wrote:

Ward Cleaver wrote:

PS4 "NKOGNEATO"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: