Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Push--button starter wiring?...
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Push--button starter wiring?... Reply with quote

While working on a friend's Ghia today, I noticed he had a push-button starter setup. If I had a problem with the ignition, I would have replaced the ingnition, but it wasn't my car, so I let the matter go.

However, I noticed that th gauge of the wiring was no more than 12 awg, going to his starter. This seems to be too small a gauge to me. Anyone else wired up your bug, using a push button? What gauge wire did you use?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Push--button starter wiring?... Reply with quote

8 gauge at a minimum. The 12 gauge would work if they have a relay/solenoid near the starter then come off that device with 6/8 gauge to the starter solenoid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Push--button starter wiring?... Reply with quote

Stock wiring for the starter solenoid circuit is 4.0 square millimeter, roughly equivalent to 11 gauge though generally considered equal to 12 AWG stranded wire. Using 12 gauge in that application would work, but would be right on the edge of acceptable voltage drop for the run required -- 10 gauge or larger would be preferable.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: