Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I installed a BA6 in my 1973 Wild Westerner!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I installed a BA6 in my 1973 Wild Westerner! Reply with quote

Ha ha, well I'll be happy to take a little bit off your workload!

Got a lot closer to finishing up the install. Using the rubber mount quieted the fuel pump significantly (as expected).

Got the exhaust pipe hooked up through the frame.

I used a 1 3/4" flexible pipe because that was the largest flexible section that fit through the hole in my frame. Unfortunately, it didn't fit over the exhaust of the heater, so I used a coupling from the FLAPS that slipped inside both parts, and clamped it all together.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Because others had commented (in other threads) about concern over the proximity of the exhaust pipe to the rubber duct, I wrapped a few layers of heavy duty foil around the duct to act as a kind of heat shield.

Continued working on the acid treatment of the floors, and decided to go ahead and do the front floor too.

Dissected the safety switch. It certainly is a bimetal strip that warms up and trips it. There is a sprung contact inside, and the strip presses against the reset lever arm to hold the contact together. When the strip warms up, it slips past the lever which allows the contact to open and cut off the system.

There is an adjustment screw. Turning it in between 3 and 4 turns got the switch to where it operates in just over 3 minutes.

Sorry the video is in portrait mode... I thought I had my phone turned correctly to be in landscape but I guess it had other ideas. Ticking in the background is the heater running!

Link

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I installed a BA6 in my 1973 Wild Westerner! Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the switch guts, the operation is pretty much identical to the BN4 safety switch! I wonder why the wiring diagram shows a transistor and mentions the switch is "solid state?" Clearly that is not the case.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: I installed a BA6 in my 1973 Wild Westerner! Reply with quote

Perhaps the later Vanagon ones are transistorized? There seems to have been a few parts and installs changed or upgraded slightly along the way. For example, I had some difficulty determining the "proper" mounting locations for a few components because they seemed to be in somewhat different places in different pics in the manual, or different pics posted by people around here that were showing factory installs.

(Especially the exact location of the coil and fuel pump.)

Or perhaps Üter was simply mistaken when he was asked to draw the wiring diagram!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: I installed a BA6 in my 1973 Wild Westerner! Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Thanks for posting the switch guts, the operation is pretty much identical to the BN4 safety switch! I wonder why the wiring diagram shows a transistor and mentions the switch is "solid state?" Clearly that is not the case.

No vacuum tubes ??

Laughing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I installed a BA6 in my 1973 Wild Westerner! Reply with quote

Yesterday I sprayed the area that is contained by the belly pan with the Fluid Film and installed the pan.

Also grabbed a dryer vent thingy for the return air duct. I was going to screw it down but it seems that just sort of pressure fitting will be sufficient. If needed I'll screw it in later. I figure this with the screen will keep the majority of the junk from getting sucked in by the fan.

The acid treatment should be good to go, hopefully I'll get the Master Series down tomorrow or Wednesday so I can get the seats back in over the weekend.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I installed a BA6 in my 1973 Wild Westerner! Reply with quote

You went all out brother. This was a nice install and makes for one unique WW Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: I installed a BA6 in my 1973 Wild Westerner! Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
You went all out brother. This was a nice install and makes for one unique WW Cool

Thanks! I figure for me to justify owning all these old VWs on my social-work salary, I have to actually use them as somewhat regular transportation too! If nothing else, they are back up for when the old Golf needs maintenance or for the times I have a foster kid with a license (they drive the beat up Golf, not the old VWs!) This should make driving the WW on cold days much more pleasant and doable.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in ideas to help out! Hopefully I've documented my install well enough to help someone else down the road who wants to do the same thing.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: I installed a BA6 in my 1973 Wild Westerner! Reply with quote

Congrats on the install! Your thread definitely had me researching gas heaters for my bus, but my wallet said 'no.'

What's the M-Code for the green transaxle?
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: I installed a BA6 in my 1973 Wild Westerner! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Congrats on the install! Your thread definitely had me researching gas heaters for my bus, but my wallet said 'no.'

What's the M-Code for the green transaxle?

Robbie

I don't recall offhand. It is super-rare!

I painted it Westerner-style when I installed it (it is an 091 mated to a 2.0 motor) and the fuel injection a couple years ago.

I don't know if you can see it in any of the pics, but I also have a torn CV boot to deal with. Yuck. I hate that job.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: I installed a BA6 in my 1973 Wild Westerner! Reply with quote

Just look at that melted frost this morning!

All I had to do was go out and twist the dial a few minutes before I was ready, and by the time I came back out, the frost was all melted and wiped away easily by the wipers.

This thing is awesome!

I got the interior reinstalled this Friday evening and have been enjoying driving the Westerner since.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Chris Morrice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I installed a BA6 in my 1973 Wild Westerner! Reply with quote

I'm just about to begin this same job in my new '71 Westy... I like this heater version because I'm running dual batteries in the back.

Thanks for helping illuminate the way forward! It's encouraging to see someone having just accomplished it.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: I installed a BA6 in my 1973 Wild Westerner! Reply with quote

Chris Morrice wrote:
I'm just about to begin this same job in my new '71 Westy... I like this heater version because I'm running dual batteries in the back.

Thanks for helping illuminate the way forward! It's encouraging to see someone having just accomplished it.

Nice! Be sure to document it, and good luck!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I installed a BA6 in my 1973 Wild Westerner! Reply with quote

Couple things:

First: Could someone please take a pic of their exhaust pipe and how it's mounted and how it exits the Bus? At the moment, I just have the pipe kinda hanging down, and I believe that fumes may be getting sucked in while driving.

Second: I may need to possibly check/calibrate the gas pump's pumping. I sorta wonder if this thing could be firing a little hotter.

Third: Is it supposed to stay running all the time if the engine is running? Mine only works with the timer, so on longer trips I have to reset the timer every 10 minutes. If it is supposed to stay running, do any of you have any ideas on trouble shooting this or could you say if maybe I have something hooked up incorrectly still?

Thanks all!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I installed a BA6 in my 1973 Wild Westerner! Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
If it is supposed to stay running, do any of you have any ideas on trouble shooting this or could you say if maybe I have something hooked up incorrectly still?

Thanks all!

Yeah it's supposed to switch to a different power circuit when the engine is running but I'm not really sure about the details.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: