Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ride-On goes Subaru power
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I think you'll have a really fun ride home!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Let's hope it doesn't include this.... Laughing Laughing [/img]

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Only if someone steals the engine!?! 🤪
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

and steals the pop top and engine lid Shocked

and if it does break, we'll handle it. it's mechanical. don't think for a second that it won't break. I do my best to make sure it doesn't happen. it will be just fine...think happy thoughts.

who want's in on the speeding ticket pool? Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

and steals the pop top and engine lid Shocked

and if it does break, we'll handle it. it's mechanical. don't think for a second that it won't break. I do my best to make sure it doesn't happen. it will be just fine...think happy thoughts.

who want's in on the speeding ticket pool? Laughing

I was clearly being a wise guy with that post. Very Happy Another beautiful job Don with this installation. The engine compartment looks beautiful.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

^^^I know you were. remember, I am a professional ball buster Very Happy

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Awesome job Don. Looks fantastic. RideOn, your bus is bad ass. Enjoy, I look forward to your own updates. The MVP’s of this whole thread is Mrs RideOn and the parents who treated that bus with love. Good on you all.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Awesome job Don. Looks fantastic. RideOn, your bus is bad ass. Enjoy, I look forward to your own updates. The MVP’s of this whole thread is Mrs RideOn and the parents who treated that bus with love. Good on you all.

Indeed! The grandparents still take the bus out for trips, but had slowed a little when the inevitable gremlins appeared. This swap will get them back in action, plus they LOVE how much we and especially our boys love Fourbie!

Speaking of the grandparents... for the speeding ticket pool, bear in mind that I'll be convoying back with Puppa. My nephew once (in all seriousness) while driving with Puppa on the 401 (our I-95) exclaimed "Puppa!! Why are you driving backwards!!!" They were in the middle lane and a transport was passing them on the right with ease... Smile I'm hoping curiosity and charm work for at least one speeding ticket!
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

I want to see the video of you getting pulled over and the cop asking "How is this thing doing 80".

Awesome build for sure and can't wait to see it being enjoyed. Remember to keep the intake a secret hehe.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Chochobeef wrote:
I want to see the video of you getting pulled over and the cop asking "How is this thing doing 80".

80? Pfft .. that's cruising speed.

Twisted Evil Laughing
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
Chochobeef wrote:

80? Pfft .. that's cruising speed.

Twisted Evil Laughing

meh....80 on a perfect day with no wind. they seem to be plenty happy at 75 with the right weather.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

My daily driver is a 2016 Subie Forester. When I first opened the hood I couldn't help thinking of how much it reminded me of a Type IV engine and I immediately pictured it in my bus. I know it probably wouldn't fit. But I have this dream...

After 8 or so years of being the family dumpster, the AC will be shot, pennies and cheerios in the CD player, random electrical shit not working, peanut buttery booger handprints everywhere the engine will still be running strong and will take up residence in my bus.

Maybe not possible, but a man can dream...
plane_ben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Skills wrote:
Quote:
meh....80 on a perfect day with no wind. they seem to be plenty happy at 75 with the right weather.

Perfect weather. That's key for sure. A little story of mine that happened the week before Thanksgiving. I was up in Moab, UT and Grand Junction CO in my bus. It's a '58 DD panel with Subie conversion. On the way home I stopped for the night in Flagstaff, AZ. In the morning, leaving Flag, I somehow missed getting on I17 south and ended up on I40 West. Didn't really dawn on me until I was 40 miles down the road. I was pissed as you can imagine. So, it was either backtrack 40 miles or do another 40 miles and take the Wickieup exit and come in to Phoenix from the west. All in all about 140 miles further added to my trip home. So I lay on the gas and ran 75-80 on I40. Weather was perfect, just a slight tailwind. Man, was it a hoot! At first, I was a little puckered with the speed in an old bus, but after I settled in, I just enjoyed it. I got many looks of amazement from other cars I was passing.

Ride-on, you're going to love it!
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Very nice build Skills. Still no salt on the roads up here so hopefully Ride_on will enjoy a snow-free trip back up here. Starting to get enough Subaru busses up here to start our own club.
gs2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

ha!

I had to build a VSS bracket. the top weld is a pin machined to fit into the trans case. one thing I have learned over the years is an ECU likes CLEAN signals. this is rock solid and will not twist had it only been bolted in one spot

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Where did you get the VSS kit from? That is one of the cleanest looking flanges I have seen and I can't seem to find one anywhere.
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

gs2 wrote:

Where did you get the VSS kit from? That is one of the cleanest looking flanges I have seen and I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Rocky Mountain Westy:

http://www.rockymountainwesty.com/product_p/rmw-ch395ss.htm
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

as pointed out earlier in the thread, you COULD use the subarugears hub flange as a VSS pick up, but I haven't tested the accuracy of that and with little time to spare I opted to use the tried and true method. were this my own build, I would have played around somewhat with the setup, however with the clock ticking it didn't make sense to take a chance on something that may not have worked the way I wanted it to

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
gs2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Thanks, the one on the RMW site doesn't look nearly as good as the one used here. Hopefully they have switched to the better one that was used here.

This will be going on a VW trans so I won't be able to use the hub.

Thanks again
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

Should be good to go. Ours was ordered in Sept or Oct, so definitely current stock.

Good luck!

gs2 wrote:
Thanks, the one on the RMW site doesn't look nearly as good as the one used here. Hopefully they have switched to the better one that was used here.

This will be going on a VW trans so I won't be able to use the hub.

Thanks again

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

well....

ride-on rolled out yesterday during a bit of a wintery mess. we went on 1 small drive and he is headed back to the great white north as we speak.

like a nervous mother, I told him to get me updates as he traveled. he dropped anchor in MA yesterday and rolled out this AM. it took him a minute or 2 to learn the clutch again but beyond that I think he will be just fine.

he seemed to be pretty excited, so lets see if I met expectations Shocked

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride-On goes Subaru power Reply with quote

I bet he feels like a five-year-old on Xmas morning...

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 23

Jump to: