Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mechanic Died after rebuild.AC Compressor pulley eats serpentine
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCFox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Mechanic Died after rebuild.AC Compressor pulley eats serpentine Reply with quote

2000 EuroVan with AES 12v Engine.

Rebuilt the engine, and the mechanic delivered it, and up and died. (Nice guy too, stomach cancer. Gone in 90 days.)

Anyway, AC was acting up, so I took it into AC shop for service. Compressor is dead, so we pull it, get an identical compressor, new belt, and the belt does not line up with the pulleys of the other accessories. Like the pulley is too short, so the serpentine rides off the edge of the pulley by about an inch.

So, it eats the serpentine belt. A $75 belt.

We try a compreasor from a 2001, won't fit.

So, from what we can tell, the other pulleys are not lining up with the compressor, and it should. No way to adjust the pulley, so I'm wondering if the dead mechanic messed up lining up the others. If that's possible.

So...... Has anyone seen this? Is there a solution?

Help please.

Thanks.

JC
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanic Died after rebuild.AC Compressor pulley eats serpentine Reply with quote

I'm thinking that it's the aftermarket compressor that's at fault. There is no way that the mechanic could alter the brackets to cause the misalignment. Besides, this belt issue didn't start until the compressor was replaced.
This issue falls on the shop that replaced your A/C compressor, not the deceased mechanic.

Some of the VWs had aluminum spacers sandwiched between the compressor & the bracket to allow the compressor bolts to be removed with the compressor since there was not enough room between the compressor & frame rail to completely remove the bolts. I don't remember if this was the case on this particular VW but it might be a possibility that the A/C shop failed to reinstall these (or reinstalled them on the wrong side of the bracket.).

Last edited by TDCTDI on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:50 am; edited 2 times in total
JMB3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanic Died after rebuild.AC Compressor pulley eats serpentine Reply with quote

JCFox wrote:
Like the pulley is too short, so the serpentine rides off the edge of the pulley by about an inch.

Too short? Wouldn't the pulley have to be too long for the belt to ride off the way it is? It's in the background and out of focus, but it doesn't look like the belt is properly seated on the power steering pump.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanic Died after rebuild.AC Compressor pulley eats serpentine Reply with quote

JMB3 wrote:
JCFox wrote:
Like the pulley is too short, so the serpentine rides off the edge of the pulley by about an inch.

Too short? Wouldn't the pulley have to be too long for the belt to ride off the way it is? It's in the background and out of focus, but it doesn't look like the belt is properly seated on the power steering pump.

First pic is of the PS pump pulley.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
JMB3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanic Died after rebuild.AC Compressor pulley eats serpentine Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
JMB3 wrote:
JCFox wrote:

First pic is of the PS pump pulley.

OK, so on both these pulleys the belt rides too close to the engine. These photos don't really show a misalignment between pulleys. Just a belt that isn't seated on either pulley.
JCFox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanic Died after rebuild.AC Compressor pulley eats serpentine Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments.

The problem actually existed with the prior OEM compressor, but now that I think of it I took it in for a Power Steering pump just before this all started.

The AC guy said the belt on the OEM pump was also riding outside the pulley.

I'm looking for a new mechanic to tow the van to, as it shot another belt last night leaving the AC guy. At $75 a pop, those things get expensive.

Thanks again.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanic Died after rebuild.AC Compressor pulley eats serpentine Reply with quote

Wow.

I don't think I've ever recommended this before: take it to the dealership.

I don't think electrickery works that way
JCFox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanic Died after rebuild.AC Compressor pulley eats serpentine Reply with quote

That is not entirely a bad idea - only because I'm on the border with México, and their shop rates are not that out of line.

I've got 2 of these vans, the 2000 with an AES, that I've rebuilt the engine, transmission, and now the AC - that I just want to sell, and a 2002 that I've done the same to, that is in the middle of a high end paint job and customization. (Client with high end shop is only charging for Materials.)

It's getting the full treatment, including replacing the middle seats and back bench with front seats - so it only seats 6, but all can recline and move forward and back as needed.

Should be a fun Van, if he'd ever finish.

Thanks!
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanic Died after rebuild.AC Compressor pulley eats serpentine Reply with quote

You know what, I take that back...

...I bet $20 that somebody installed the power-steering pump pulley backwards.

Take a picture of the face of the pulley. The pulley hub should be convex:

if it's concave:

it's on backwards.

If this is the case, you can fix this in your driveway (you might need to rent a pulley-puller from Autozone) and save you further $$$ and idiocy from dealing with incompetent mechanics.

JCFox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanic Died after rebuild.AC Compressor pulley eats serpentine Reply with quote

Thank you so much!!!!

I'll check it out over the weekend.

My mechanic was a good guy, it's a shame I can't give him a hard time about this.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out and post some pictures so the thread is complete for anyone with a similar problem in the future.
JCFox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mechanic Died after rebuild.AC Compressor pulley eats serpentine Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
You know what, I take that back...

...I bet $20 that somebody installed the power-steering pump pulley backwards.

Take a picture of the face of the pulley. The pulley hub should be convex:

if it's concave:

it's on backwards.

If this is the case, you can fix this in your driveway (you might need to rent a pulley-puller from Autozone) and save you further $$$ and idiocy from dealing with incompetent mechanics.

We have a winner. The pulley is on the Power Steering pump backwards. Now I have to search the forums to learn how to remove the darn thing.

Thank you so much. This saved me a ton of time, and frustration. I was getting ready to part it out!

Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mechanic Died after rebuild.AC Compressor pulley eats serpentine Reply with quote

Purchase a 3/8"-drive set of metric allen "sockets" (assuming you have a ratchet/socket set). It should be a 5 or 6mm allen. I don't recall how much of a press-fit may be holding the center of the pulley onto the hub, so after you remove the allen bolts, you may be able to wiggle the pulley off, or you might need to use a 2 or 3-jaw puller (Autozone usually rents these out for free, with a nominal deposit).

It's not a complicated job at all, ~10 minutes for a shop (though, they may happily charge you for an hour's work regardless, so you'll likely be ahead financially buying the tools and doing it yourself).

Glad it was something simple, and glad you found the culprit before sinking more money into searching for the fix!!!

JCFox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Fixed: AC Compressor pulley eats serpentine Reply with quote

Thanks for the assistance, it was exactly as you said.

One thing to note, is that it takes an M8 bolt I to the tensioner to release it so the Serpentine can be installed.

The bolt on the pulley was a 6mm allen, and the middle was likely a 9mm, but I could not find one, so I just put the jack handle through one of the holes to hold it in place.

Backed the van up to a curb to hold it in placed, jacked up the passenger side high, removed the wheen and put in under the van, and did the work in an hour.

Thanks for the assistance. I don't think I could have figured this out without your help.
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanic Died after rebuild.AC Compressor pulley eats serpentine Reply with quote

Guys,

I'm having a related problem and I think it makes sense to attach it to this thread .

I just paid a shop to install a new A/C compressor/components. When I picked the van up, it was making some loud, whirring belt noise. The shop took it back in and was uncertain if there was a pulley problem or a problem with the serpentine belt. $120 later, we had replaced the serpentine belt, and the whirring was not as loud, but definitely still present.

I followed this thread and took off the skid plate and looked at the A/C compressor and pulleys. The power steering pulley appears to be correctly installed (it's convex), but the pulley right behind it (The one that looks like the power steering pulley but only has three holes in it rather than four) is concave. Should it be?

I took the van out for a 50+ mile drive yesterday and the belt noise disappeared after the first fifteen miles. Started it back up this morning and the noise was back.

Your thoughts are appreciated!
JCFox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Mechanic Died after rebuild.AC Compressor pulley eats serpentine Reply with quote

Scottn59c wrote:
Guys,

I'm having a related problem and I think it makes sense to attach it to this thread .

I just paid a shop to install a new A/C compressor/components. When I picked the van up, it was making some loud, whirring belt noise. The shop took it back in and was uncertain if there was a pulley problem or a problem with the serpentine belt. $120 later, we had replaced the serpentine belt, and the whirring was not as loud, but definitely still present.

I followed this thread and took off the skid plate and looked at the A/C compressor and pulleys. The power steering pulley appears to be correctly installed (it's convex), but the pulley right behind it (The one that looks like the power steering pulley but only has three holes in it rather than four) is concave. Should it be?

I took the van out for a 50+ mile drive yesterday and the belt noise disappeared after the first fifteen miles. Started it back up this morning and the noise was back.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

I am far from an expert, but if your van was running normal, and the only thing you changed out was the AC Compressor, it is either the compressor or the Tensioner.

Did they replace the tensioner? Did they check it?

Good luck. I'm sure smarter folks will help you nail the problem down.

JC
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Mechanic Died after rebuild.AC Compressor pulley eats serpentine Reply with quote

They told me they suspected a pulley, though the pulley wasn't making noise prior to the installation of the new compressor. The shop mentioned that finding a replacement pulley by itself was difficult and that they could only get it through VW.

The new compressor that was installed wasn't the most expensive OEM one, but it wasn't the cheapest option either. I'm wondering if the problem is with the compressor itself. The noise I'm hearing could be from a bad bearing on the A/C compressor? I'm not sure.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mechanic Died after rebuild.AC Compressor pulley eats serpentine Reply with quote

Did they leave the release bolt in the tensioner? It seems plausible that they left the bolt in the tensioner and it's not allowing the belt to be fully under the proper level of tension, and thus the noises.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Mechanic Died after rebuild.AC Compressor pulley eats serpentine Reply with quote

Casey, it's possible, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. Can you give me more details on the release bolt on the tensioner? I'm confused as to what is what. Should I be looking at the drive belt tensioner or drive belt idler pulley? A/C belt tensioner? I'm not even sure which is which. Pictures would sure be helpful if anyone has any. Keep in mind that I am a total numbskull/novice.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mechanic Died after rebuild.AC Compressor pulley eats serpentine Reply with quote

Here's a vid showing the bolt I'm referencing

Link

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mechanic Died after rebuild.AC Compressor pulley eats serpentine Reply with quote

There's no bolt in the tensioner.

Still trying to troubleshoot. Is the noise due to my new compressor, or is there possibly pulley misalignment? Again, the shop tech thought it was a pulley problem, and the shop floated the possibility of replacing the pulley (I don't know that they told me which one) but I thought it was strange that there was no noise prior to the installation of the new compressor.

Also, any thoughts on why I hear the noise at startup, during accelerations, but then not after driving for awhile?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: