Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 Super Beetle Clutch/Shifting Issues
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbaron42517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: 73 Super Beetle Clutch/Shifting Issues Reply with quote

I was driving home last night and stupidly downshifted from 3rd to 1st. car made some lovely noises whilst over revving the engine, all with the clutch disengaged and now its more difficult to shift between gears. after the fact as im finishing my trip home, everything sounds normal. no grinding of gears, or engine or tranny clanking or anything. Went out this morning and adjusted the clutch cable but no dice there. what could my issue be? Thanks in advance.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle Clutch/Shifting Issues Reply with quote

Is it all gears having shift issues or only a specific few?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle Clutch/Shifting Issues Reply with quote

Never hurts to check the shift rod bushing. Maybe it was on its last "legs" and you broke it when you made that shift.

Check the coupling under the rear seat too.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle Clutch/Shifting Issues Reply with quote

redbaron42517 wrote:
I was driving home last night and stupidly downshifted from 3rd to 1st.

Do you normally downshift into 1st from 3rd?? If you were in 3rd gear I'd guess you were still rolling along above 20mph? I could never get the 1st gear synchro to mesh above a slow crawl so never attempted to shift into 1st until I was very nearly stopped. If you forced it into 1st I can image you have damaged the 1st gear synchro.

redbaron42517 wrote:
car made some lovely noises whilst over revving the engine, all with the clutch disengaged and now its more difficult to shift between gears.

Please clarify... while you had the clutch pedal depressed and slid into 1st gear did it make a grinding noise? Is this the "lovely noise" you described?

Then, once you released the clutch, the engine rpms would have spiked. Did you hear some other transmission noise other than the engine rpms jumping thru the roof?

And now, what do you mean by "more difficult to shift"? Does it take more effort to slide into each gear? Are you more prone to a grinding sound when you shift into a gear? Is there a thunk sound as you drop into a gear? Is it more difficult to find the correct gear (can't tell if it is 1st or 3rd; Rev, 2nd or 4th?) Please be more specific.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
redbaron42517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle Clutch/Shifting Issues Reply with quote

i dont normally go from first to third. i was tired last night and had a brain fart, honestly. the noise i heard was the sound of screeching tires and the over revving of the engine. cant remember what else i may have heard. happened so fast... and i had the clutch pedal in when i shifted into first, somehow it went right in without much effort. heard no grinding. and the engine rpms spiked even tho i still had the clutch in. now it takes more effort to shift into first and second gears, especially when downshifting. first gear is near impossible to get into if the car is moving. im usually able to get it into first when i get below 15 mph with no issues. i havent heard any grinding of gears when shifting so i guess thats a good thing. but i do hear the thunk when going into first, either when downshifting or from a dead stop occcasionally.

i did try and drive it around a parking lot a bit and just noticed that when i slowly let the clutch out from a stop, either in 1st or reverse, the car and/or transaxle kinda shudders a bit. has a brand new clutch in it with less than 2,000 miles on it.
redbaron42517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle Clutch/Shifting Issues Reply with quote

i forgot to mention that after i made the first gear to third mistake, the clutch pedal seemed more sloppy and thats why i went and adjusted the wingnut of the clutch cable to take up some of the freeplay. i am starting to wonder if the problem is something to do with the throwout bearing or clutch fork not fully disengaging.
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle Clutch/Shifting Issues Reply with quote

if the rpm increased while the clutch was engaged it is a problem right there as well
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle Clutch/Shifting Issues Reply with quote

TheViking wrote:
if the rpm increased while the clutch was engaged it is a problem right there as well

True. If the clutch pedal was pushed down (depressed) and the rpm's revved and the trans jolted, that indicates that the cable was either not adjusted properly before or there were wear issues already present.

Can you post pictures of the clutch pivot arm while engaged and disengaged?
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle Clutch/Shifting Issues Reply with quote

I would start looking at possible physical movement of the transmission on it's mountings or with it's mountings Shocked . When u mistakenly shifted u put a large torque on the gearbox - enough to use it as a rear brake - tyres screeched. So it would not surprise me if the front mount or rear forks are out of alignment. I hope it's only a minor problem. Check the mounting points for the tranny and see if they look straight.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle Clutch/Shifting Issues Reply with quote

This is an easy one.
You have exploded your clutch disc.
With the clutch pedal to the floor, there's a gap surrounding the disc, then stuffing it into 1st causes the input shaft to rev to the moon. Since it's not clamped together, the friction material flies apart. A piece of friction material landed between other friction material and the flywheel or clutch. That's what caused the rear tires to skid, even though your clutch pedal was still depressed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle Clutch/Shifting Issues Reply with quote

Actually, Bruce has probably hit the nail on the head. If so you'll probably need to resurface the flywheel and change the throwout bearing and the pilot bearing as well as get a new clutch and pp. Inspect the input shaft too and all the tranny mounts.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
redbaron42517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle Clutch/Shifting Issues Reply with quote

Greetings Gentlemen. Sorry I've been away from the computer for a while. Christmas season gets busy for my family. I ended up pulling the engine and low and behold the clutch disk was indeed exploded. New clutch kit going in very soon and my old girl will be back plowing thru SD Snow. Thank you all very much for the help and guidance. It is much appreciated.

Till next time, keep your powder dry and your stick on the ice.
Taylor [/img]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: