Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drop spindle conversion
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpd419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Drop spindle conversion Reply with quote

My 66 beetle has 2.5" drop spindles with drum brakes. Does anyone know if they can be converted to disk brakes? I don't know if the drop spindles that were bought specifically for drum brakes can even be converted. Many thanks.
rabbit20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Drop spindle conversion Reply with quote

IIRC, you need drop spindles specifically for disc brakes.
Otherwise there is no where to attach the caliper carrier.
HomeGrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Drop spindle conversion Reply with quote

buy a disk brake kit for drum spindles
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop spindle conversion Reply with quote

FWIW... a good working drum system will work just as good in most cases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cpd419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop spindle conversion Reply with quote

Thanks! My brakes are decent to good anyway might be a waste.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop spindle conversion Reply with quote

My 62 beetle has a well sorted stock drum system all the way around... works perfect and will lock up all four wheels if you jump on them.

I have a 57 Ghia that I put wide five disc on the front... they are a little more assuring than the OE drums... takes a little less pedal pressure to lock it up...

But ultimately, the weak point is the light front end and tiny tire foot print that most of us have.

In an emergency situation, we’re just gonna slide, hold on and hope for the best.

The trick is, drive within the means of your car and your environment... always drive defensively and watch out for dummies....just let’em go on by.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cpd419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop spindle conversion Reply with quote

My brakes work well. They have all been replaced with new seals and a new master cylinder (unfortunately). I always allow a little more space between me and the next vehicle and don't get in a hurry. I just thought if they could be converted why not. Thanks for all the help everyone.
cpd419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop spindle conversion Reply with quote

This is the bug by the way
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop spindle conversion Reply with quote

That's a lovely Beetle
What wheels and tyres sizes are you running ?
2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
cpd419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop spindle conversion Reply with quote

Wheels are 15" maybe by 5.5. Not sure. The front tires are smart car tires, again not sure about the size. Maybe 145's?
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop spindle conversion Reply with quote

Great looking beetle .
cpd419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Drop spindle conversion Reply with quote

New pic

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Drop spindle conversion Reply with quote

cpd419 wrote:
Wheels are 15" maybe by 5.5. Not sure. The front tires are smart car tires, again not sure about the size. Maybe 145's?

You do realize the tire size is clearly molded into the sidewall right?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Drop spindle conversion Reply with quote

Try CB Performance. They seem to have the adapters and disc kits.
cpd419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop spindle conversion Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
cpd419 wrote:

You do realize the tire size is clearly molded into the sidewall right?

Yea but it's in winter storage so it will be awhile.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop spindle conversion Reply with quote

Just abut everyone will tell you that adapters won`t work with dropped spindles. But I`ve seen posts on here of people modifying them to work. But I would just change spindles.
cpd419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Drop spindle conversion Reply with quote

Since I already changed the tie rods and what not to use the drop spindles would it be as easy as changing the spindles only to a disc type? I had to change quite a bit to convert to the drop spindle.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Drop spindle conversion Reply with quote

cpd419 wrote:
Since I already changed the tie rods and what not to use the drop spindles would it be as easy as changing the spindles only to a disc type? I had to change quite a bit to convert to the drop spindle.

Why did you have to change the tie rods? Spindles are a bolt on. Nothing else should have required changing. What else did you change?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Drop spindle conversion Reply with quote

Dropped spindles use later tie rod ends. And wheel bearings. Nothing major though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: