Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What compression ratios are you turbo lot running
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What compression ratios are you turbo lot running Reply with quote

Yes I agree, it's all about CFM.

My '03 Cummins starts boost at about 1100 rpm and red lines at 3100rpm and about 320 HP.

So 5.9 ltr Cummins is 3.69 times more CFM than a 1.6 ltr VW. Therefore I could expect the VW with the Holset to start boost at 4,060 rpm and deliver about 300 hp at 11,440 rpm. Now increase the VW to 2.3 ltrs and we get an engine 2.57 times smaller in CFM out put. Run the numbers and you will start boost at 2,830 rpm with 300 hp at 7,970 rpm.
The first engine would be very short lived and virtually impossible to try and drive but the second one would actually function at the drag strip.

Yup, sounds about right in line with what you are saying.

All theoretical naturally but sounds reasonable.
AKSTEWIE84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What compression ratios are you turbo lot running Reply with quote

Whos header is that?

Dauz wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hot side turbine was custom cut for an "o trim" wheel in a t3. Quick spool up.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: What compression ratios are you turbo lot running Reply with quote

AJ sim's, CarCraft ,Brothers, pick one LOL
I've heard sims won't sell just the header
I'm very happy with my CarCraft Wink

76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: What compression ratios are you turbo lot running Reply with quote

I should of said both of my CarCraft's I have two,lol
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: What compression ratios are you turbo lot running Reply with quote

I'm running 8.3:1 in my 2332

brad
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What compression ratios are you turbo lot running Reply with quote

Wish those hideaway headers came in 1 3/4”
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What compression ratios are you turbo lot running Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:

How much power can a 1-5/8” support? I’ve heard some pretty fast guys going 1-5/8, or 1-3/4 at the head depending on the exhaust port, then stepping down to 1-5/8.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What compression ratios are you turbo lot running Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I'm running 8.3:1 in my 2332

brad

How much boost with that compression? What fuel?
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What compression ratios are you turbo lot running Reply with quote

Tell us more about your setup Brad, or post in a new thread so we can follow along.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: What compression ratios are you turbo lot running Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:

Seems like I read they do these in 1 3/4"
https://www.vwspeedshop.com/product.php?productid=16152&cat=&page=3
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: What compression ratios are you turbo lot running Reply with quote

My over the alternator header is 1 3/4" feeding a full sized T4 with a 4" inlet. I also have 46x40 valves and an 86mm stroke.

But with that said, I've previously ran a T60-1 HiFi with a 1 5/8" OD header and dyno'd at just over 400hp (wheel) in a street driven T1.

Both headers came from AJ.

I've been wanting to tuck it all away and it seems my only option is a made-to-order RLR.

BTW, I can't remember what my static CR was set to on my new motor. We were only concerned with valve clearance (ACN Squishies).

Last edited by Dauz on Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: What compression ratios are you turbo lot running Reply with quote

AKSTEWIE84 wrote:
Whos header is that?

Dauz wrote:

Hot side turbine was custom cut for an "o trim" wheel in a t3. Quick spool up.

The one in that pic came from Carcraft. It was 1.5"
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What compression ratios are you turbo lot running Reply with quote

With squishies, I would guess your near the 9:1 range.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What compression ratios are you turbo lot running Reply with quote

My chambers are 78cc. That would render squishies quite moot. Laughing

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What compression ratios are you turbo lot running Reply with quote

I'm at 7.8:1 compression. I run E85 mostly (Flex fuel sensor) though. 30 psi of boost before the cam change, and 23 psi so far on the new one. I also run a water to air intercooler.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: What compression ratios are you turbo lot running Reply with quote

I'm waiting on Santa to bring me a Snow water/meth kit Laughing
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: What compression ratios are you turbo lot running Reply with quote

HotStreetVw wrote:
Tell us more about your setup Brad, or post in a new thread so we can follow along.

CB Gen4 FI/turbo. To start I'm going to run 8-10lbs boost. I'm running a 4"x10" barrel water to air intercooler with an ice water tank. Im converting my N/A aluminum cased 2332 to run boost. Heads are CB Utra Wedgeports with 69cc chambers. Web 251 and 1.3 Pauter rockers. It's not a street engine so I'm not worried about low speed performance. The engine lives well above the rpms where it gets up on the cam.

I'm posting the conversion in the kit car section in my build thread Landspeed Buggy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=220

brad
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: What compression ratios are you turbo lot running Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
HotStreetVw wrote:

CB Gen4 FI/turbo. To start I'm going to run 8-10lbs boost. I'm running a 4"x10" barrel water to air intercooler with an ice water tank. Im converting my N/A aluminum cased 2332 to run boost. Heads are CB Utra Wedgeports with 69cc chambers. Web 251 and 1.3 Pauter rockers. It's not a street engine so I'm not worried about low speed performance. The engine lives well above the rpms where it gets up on the cam.

I'm posting the conversion in the kit car section in my build thread Landspeed Buggy

brad

What happened with your green bug? That was one of my favorites of all time on this site.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: What compression ratios are you turbo lot running Reply with quote

I sold it to a friend of mine. I'm building a 1904 for it . Every time I see a picture of the car I regret selling it. It might end up back with me some day, who knows. Had a lot of fun on the street with that car. This would be a fun combination..... Twisted Evil

brad
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: What compression ratios are you turbo lot running Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
HotStreetVw wrote:

brad

That barrel cooler should work great. My 4x6 keeps my intake temps down real well even with a long boost or multiple boosts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: