Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can someone ID my engine and what it's missing?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct distrbutor is a 131 905 205 with no letter suffix.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malachai wrote:
[ if you want to make life even easier that would be a good time to fit a cut off tap so that next time you need to change your filter you don't get so much petrol in your eyes/mouth/nose/belly button.

nice tip
'65 Honda Dream
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my engine has no number, but a vw symbol with a recycle symbol around it and an H next to it. After a search, I found out it's a factory rebuilt 1500 H engine.
'65 Honda Dream
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving an old thread here. I have a few updates and more questions.

Here is all of my tin off of the engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am obviously missing a few pieces. I now have the 67 only front and rear tin with matching heat exchanger. (thanks Camerod!).

I have no flaps in the fan shroud, the cylinder tins are still on the engine, and the generator piece is a chinese chrome pos so thats getting replaced along with the generator nut and pulley and the chrome oil filler.

Clara said i need to replace the tin piece behind the crank pulley. Im not sure what piece i would need to look for though.

What is the correct carb for a late 67 bus?

What else is missing?
'65 Honda Dream
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OG Velvet wrote:

What else is missing?

See that little piece at the bottom of the photo? It shouldn't have a hole in it (if it does) and you need the right side one with no hole or cutout. Your heat riser-to-fan shroud pair are missing as well as the top pulley cover. Does the air cleaner have the heat riser flap?

OG Velvet wrote:
What is the correct carb for a late 67 bus?

30 PICT-1
211 129 027K or 211 129 027K with VW 78-1 modification

OG Velvet wrote:
What else is missing?

Although not tin, if you want the carb elbow to line up with the aircleaner elbow you'll want the 211 129 701G intake manifold and the 28 DR-1.5 governor (or the replacement spacer).
tasb

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the middle of your rear tin there is a weld nut/hole. There is a piece of tin that screws into that hole and covers the space between the reat tin and the crankshaft pulley. I've seen quite a few in the classifieds.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
galexander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great stuff on making something correct, I love this.
OK, couple of things:
fresh air hose rubber gasket goes between tin and 'h' pipe.
Not sure if a Bus generator had the plastic cover on it where the brushes are, I thought it was for Beetles only, possibly to keep moisture from gen brushes maybe?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Old Paint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You going to the show this weekend in Woodburn???? You should be able to get all those missing pieces at the swap meet, $1-$10. I have a H engine also and went with the 30 pict-1 and k vacuum advance distributor. RUNS AMAZINGLY!! PM me for sources.

Just swapped my plastic fuel filter, less than a year old, not many miles, damn thing fell apart. I went from "yeah yeah whatever" to a believer.

1961 Ragtop
1961 Single Cab (Old Paint)
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone ID my engine and what it's missing? Reply with quote

Ok. It's been a minute. Bus is restored and painted. I'm slowly putting it all back together (build thread to come)...

I have been collecting engine pieces based off of the info in this thread (thank you). Here is an updated pic of my tin. I have replaced almost everything. The fan shroud is still the same from the 68 beetle, but I have found flaps and linkage. The top of cylinder tin is also the same. Everything else is new. Can anyone confirm that I do or do not have all of the correct tin?

I also have a 30 pict 1 that I am rebuilding right now. I still need the correct distributor.
'65 Honda Dream
tasb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone ID my engine and what it's missing? Reply with quote

One example of the correct distributor.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1138141

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone ID my engine and what it's missing? Reply with quote

Mocked some things up. Getting somewhere!

'65 Honda Dream
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone ID my engine and what it's missing? Reply with quote

I've had this for a few years now, just waiting for when I put this motor back together correctly. I thought this was the 67 only heat exchanger... Just realized it's for the wrong side... Also the hole is plugged. Kinda sucks because I want to have the correct pre heat going for my bus. The search continues...
'65 Honda Dream
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone ID my engine and what it's missing? Reply with quote

OG Velvet wrote:

I've had this for a few years now, just waiting for when I put this motor back together correctly. I thought this was the 67 only heat exchanger... Just realized it's for the wrong side... Also the hole is plugged. Kinda sucks because I want to have the correct pre heat going for my bus. The search continues...

For now you can pull the plug and route the hose to it. Most of the older heavy replacement HE's had those provisions on them and the mounting kits had the plugs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone ID my engine and what it's missing? Reply with quote

Leave the left side hole plugged. A 67 needs that snout on the right side only.

They are not that hard to find. Do a search in general parts for heat exchangers and I bet you find a seller with what you are looking for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone ID my engine and what it's missing? Reply with quote

Be a very good time to upgrade to dog house shroud and oil cooling system. Old non-DH shroud preheats the cooling air to #3&4 cylinders, which leads to failure of #3 cylinder all too often. You will need matching DH cooling fan and crankshaft pulley to pump more air thru the fan shroud to get enough cooling.

Might as well add a CB Maxi 2 or VW of Mexico stock oil filter/pump to keep metal shavings in the oil from chewing up the bearings. Need to match oil pump to the camshaft you are using, and do a little research on having the filter clear the muffler heat riser tube.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone ID my engine and what it's missing? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Be a very good time to upgrade to dog house shroud and oil cooling system.

Might as well add a CB Maxi 2 or VW of Mexico stock oil filter/pump to keep metal shavings in the oil from chewing up the bearings.

^^^

Good advice. If you're using the muffler in the first post, the CB MaxiPump 2 filter/pump will fit.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone ID my engine and what it's missing? Reply with quote

Super funny. I was just researching the doghouse setup last night because I just happen to have all the pieces for a DH setup except the Hoover bit and the cooler itself. I’ll just drill the front tin for the correct 67 pre heat. I still want to have a correct “appearing” engine. Sounds like DH is the way to go.
'65 Honda Dream
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone ID my engine and what it's missing? Reply with quote

I need the hoover bit, thermostat and the DH pulley. Anything else? What’s the nipple on top of the DH shroud for?

'65 Honda Dream
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone ID my engine and what it's missing? Reply with quote

What width of cooling fan do you have? Inside measurement at the outer diameter.
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone ID my engine and what it's missing? Reply with quote

I don’t have the exact measurement, but it came off of the same car with the DH stuff and it’s wider than my other one. What size crank pulley should I be looking for?
'65 Honda Dream
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: