Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mixture Screw Access on Dual-Carb Setup
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Mixture Screw Access on Dual-Carb Setup Reply with quote

Hello All,
I've a dilemma with accessing the mixture screw on one of the dual carbs on my recently acquired '69 Bug.
I believe the setup was done sometime in the 80's, and the carbs are Brazilian Webers. The obvious problem is that the carbs are not left and right configuration, thereby making one of the carb mixture screws facing outward from the engine (and accessible via a carb window in the wheel well), whereas the second carb mixture screw faces inward - and actually is within 1/8" of the fan housing - NOT at all accessible!!
This there an obvious remedy to this predicament that I am not seeing?
Are there carburetors available that have left & right configurations for use on dual carb setups? Using a different intake manifold(s) for an altered carb orientation? I thought about using an access panel behind the back seat for access, but that would not be exactly convenient or preferable.
Any advice or shared wisdom will be appreciated -- Thank You!
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Mixture Screw Access on Dual-Carb Setup Reply with quote

Can you please post a few pictures of your engine bay and carburetor configuration?
Charlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Mixture Screw Access on Dual-Carb Setup Reply with quote

Yes, Joey, I can/will do that tomorrow. Thank You.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mixture Screw Access on Dual-Carb Setup Reply with quote

Cool. Is just difficult to offer a solution to a "lack of space" problem without really seeing it.
Charlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Mixture Screw Access on Dual-Carb Setup Reply with quote

Adding photos of left side carb to my forum post from yesterday:
Recapping, since the manufactured configuration of these carbs are identical (Brazilian Webers), the dual carb setup makes for the left side carb mixture screw to be positioned inward and tight against the fan housing, and not accessible to adjust. (This does make the right side carb mixture screw accessible for adjustment - via a carb window in the wheel well).
I'm looking for possible solutions to make the left screw accessible.
New carbs made specifically for a dual setup? Different intake manifolds? 1969 Type 1 w/1970 dual port engine.
Thank you for your thoughts and wisdom.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Mixture Screw Access on Dual-Carb Setup Reply with quote

Could it be that you have a mismatched set of two right side carburators on there?

Or... Could it be that this set of carburators was intended for a different type VW that had different tin, like maybe a squareback or a bus with a pancake motor or something? The dual intakes have the VW logo on them.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Mixture Screw Access on Dual-Carb Setup Reply with quote

I can't really see how that mixture screw would be accessible in any way, shape or form. I can't imagine how a legit company would make such a setup, so I'm guessing it wasn't supposed to be installed on this engine.

If, big IF, I was to keep such a setup, I would drill a hole(s) on the fan housing at an angle which would allow me to access the screw. I'm not even sure if that's actually possible. Then I would cover them with tape (or some nice covers) and remove (replace) them when needed.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Mixture Screw Access on Dual-Carb Setup Reply with quote

I don't recognize this particular single-throat Weber carb, but just checking theSamba classifieds, does resemble a 36 ICT a lot: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2084878

The current most commonly available single-throat Weber is the 34 ICT, which also has a similar mounting flange onto the intake manifold as your ? Weber. Some versions of 34 ICT carbs have a mirror image design for left and right sides of the engine. They're immediately recognizable due to the "snout" on the front of the carb body-
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1980663

I wonder- you see that brass plug just to the right of the bolt that fastens the carb to the manifold? Can you remove that, then swap in the mixture screw and spring from the other (inaccessible) side of the carb, and put the plug into the original mixture hole? Certainly you'd need to take at least one carb off the manifold and then apart, clean it, and closely examine the respective bore holes to see if the passages come out diagonally opposite into the throttle valve passage... "IF" that works, it would bring the mixtures screws to the rear of the carbs where you would have a better chance of reaching them with the engine back in the car.
Charlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Mixture Screw Access on Dual-Carb Setup Reply with quote

Thank you Joey, Buggee and Rome.
I'm going to look into swapping the brass plug and mixture screw as you suggested I might try, Rome.
I'll report back on what I find ...
Also, good to have the add'l info on the Weber carbs.
I do appreciate all of your replies and suggestions!
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Mixture Screw Access on Dual-Carb Setup Reply with quote

that looks like a pair of stock 67 type III manifolds ... 311 carb swaps were popular in the 70's before aftermarket stuff became available...think they usually ran 36 hp fan housings with them...someone slapped a set of webers on this one....they might be a weber replacement carb for a really early 356....maybe not cause they're both the "same side" carb...basically a homemade setup
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Mixture Screw Access on Dual-Carb Setup Reply with quote

Those carbs are DFV228 webers,made in Brazil. Rebuilt kits are available from CB performance.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=312347&highlight=dfv

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Mixture Screw Access on Dual-Carb Setup Reply with quote

the intake manifold flang looks like it can accomidate turn the carb around, then youd want to place the linkagenon the other side and have it pull differently. is it possible to swap the throotle plate linkage around to the other side? that if possible should be the fix, make a pair of left and right handed carbs out of this set of like handed carbs.

Sure you can go with the 36 hp fan shroud, but you loose the fresh air heater, not a good trade off for me, Id buy new carbs before deleting my heater., although I have seen 36 hp type aftermarket shrouds with heater outlets, I am not aware if there are cooling problems with that or not. note also stock 36 hp shrouds take the smaller thin fan, verses the fatter fan used in the dog house shrouds. if cooling is a concern, stick with dog house type, that leads use to a dog house type aftermarket 36 hp shroud, with add on heater ducts. as another possible fix.

but anyway see if the carb is convertible to the other hand configuration,

also note the trhootl plate section appears to be a seperate piece, can the body of carb be rotated on this to be the other way

let us know, Good Luck, Bug On, may your carbs be adjsutable, no matter how.!!!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Charlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mixture Screw Access on Dual-Carb Setup Reply with quote

OK, here's what I'm finding with my research...
First of all, it appears that my Weber DFV228's were not available 'mirrored' as to have both mixture screws accessible. Even though they are tagged 228092 and 228093 (and 'supposedly' mirrored), they are not - they are identical in configuration. Next, what I'm finding is repair parts are nearly impossible to find for these carburetors.
Rome, I looked into trying to reverse the mixture screw 180 d. As you can see from the pix, it unfortunately is not possible. You can see the small pin-size hole (barely) where the tip of the mixture screw pokes through, and a much larger hole visible on the opposite side of the brass plug. Sad
Rome, the first link you added in your post shows the exact carbs that I have. Bluebus86, unfortunately as well, the throttle plate is not reversible.
Sooooo....
Further research on the forum, looking at the classifieds, and the tech info on aircooled.net, pretty much tells me I need to update my carburetion setup - Weber ICT's for dual single bbl's (my pick), or Weber IDF's for dual double bbl's.
I found the tech info on aircooled.net very informative and fascinating. Interesting that they recommend aluminum intake manifolds in lieu of steel, and crossbar linkage in lieu of the centerpull variety.
Ok, thanks of you all - Joey, Bugeee, Rome, Volksworld, APPLEGREENVW, and bluebus86. This forum is a blessing!

Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mixture Screw Access on Dual-Carb Setup Reply with quote

Those are Bazillion Webers (I have two sets). You have two options, turn the carbs around and fab up your own linkage, or braze small nuts on the mixture screws and use a wrench to adjust them. In truth, they're not very good carbs, and the resale value is zilch.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Mixture Screw Access on Dual-Carb Setup Reply with quote

Thanks for posting photos of the passages, Charlo. That eliminates my suggestion.

If you try to turn both carbs around so that the mixture screws face rearwards, then your throttle arms are at the front of the engine and at the front of the fan shroud. You'd have to resort to a linkage that has arms that come down, such as the GeneBerg linkage. Problem with that approach is Berg's linkage uses the 3 M6 bolt holes on the rear face of the fan shroud to position and hold the linkage's main angle bracket. Repositioning that bracket to the front face of the shroud, you have no fastening holes at all, and have the ring from the fan opening. So such a linkage would not work. You might be able to relocate your current swivel linkage to the front of the engine, but it'd be a real bear to access once the engine is back in the car and you have nearly no room between the firewall and the shroud.

Easiest alternative would be to use this type of 36hp shroud, as mentioned previously. This narrower shroud gives you about 2" more space on each side to reach the mixture screws, whereby the added space is really only needed the left carb. The recommendation to braze/solder a nut (e.g., 13mm wrench thin valve adjusting nut) over the mixture screw is very good, since you can then feed a 13mm wrench in from the rear in that new space on the left carb. Doing that 13mm screw on the right carb would enable you to reach down (air filter removed) and turn the mixture screw by hand. Your current engine does not have a doghouse shroud and the offset oil cooler, so installing a fan shroud like this one would be easy to do while the engine is still out of the car/on the rail buggy.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1397010
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: