Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil level with external filter?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VolkswagenNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Oil level with external filter? Reply with quote

I have a external oil filter under the fender, ran from a empi oil pump cover. I guess about 3 ft of oil line. What's the correct way to check the oil level? Seems like i read somewhere to check right after shutdown, but that doesnt sound right.

Thanks in advance!
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level with external filter? Reply with quote

The top line is full, the one under it typically is 1 qt. down.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
VolkswagenNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level with external filter? Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:

So just check it as i would any other car, ext filter doesnt matter? Maybe a few minutes after turning car off?
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level with external filter? Reply with quote

VolkswagenNate wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

So just check it as i would any other car, ext filter doesnt matter? Maybe a few minutes after turning car off?

Yep

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level with external filter? Reply with quote

The intent is that the oil level in the engine case when the engine is running, would be at the same level that it would be in a stock engine.

Your task is to figure out how that relates on YOUR engine to the dipstick marks.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
VolkswagenNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level with external filter? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
The intent is that the oil level in the engine case when the engine is running, would be at the same level that it would be in a stock engine.

Your task is to figure out how that relates on YOUR engine to the dipstick marks.

So basically, figure out what the filter and lines hold, add that to 2.6, put it in and see where that lands on the dipstick.

As far as getting home tonight, will "between the lines, with motor cooled down" be close enough?
VolkswagenNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level with external filter? Reply with quote

Thanks y'all. I've got it filled up to the top line for the drive home. I'll change the oil this week and see exactly how much it takes.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level with external filter? Reply with quote

Here's a picture of where I located my external oil filter, just to give you a comparison:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The lines and the filter hold about an extra quart, so I need about three and a half quarts to get me where I need to be. I know the external system holds about an extra quart because the filter has an anti-drain back valve in it, so immediately after I change the oil, the dipstick reads over-full, but as soon as I turn the engine over and prime the system, the extra quart stays in the filter and the dipstick then reads normal-full, just like a stocker. Oh, that's with no deep sump or external oil cooler.

Hope that helps.
VolkswagenNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level with external filter? Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
Here's a picture of where I located my external oil filter, just to give you a comparison:

The lines and the filter hold about an extra quart, so I need about three and a half quarts to get me where I need to be. I know the external system holds about an extra quart because the filter has an anti-drain back valve in it, so immediately after I change the oil, the dipstick reads over-full, but as soon as I turn the engine over and prime the system, the extra quart stays in the filter and the dipstick then reads normal-full, just like a stocker. Oh, that's with no deep sump or external oil cooler.

Hope that helps.

Here's what i'm thinking with my setup, i could be way off but..
The filter is located low, below the oil pump. So even with the motor cold the lines and filter are always full (right?). So then if the dipstick reads right between the lines(cold) that would be the correct 3.6 quarts (or whatever mine actually is). Does that sound about right?
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level with external filter? Reply with quote

Yep, sounds good to me.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level with external filter? Reply with quote

You're over thinking...

Pre-fill the filter with oil before installing it. Fill the engine with oil until it reaches the "fill" line. Start the engine and wait for the oil pressure light to go out. Check the dipstick and note it. Wait 10 minutes and check again. Top up the oil to the fill line.

Now forget about it.

I assume your setup is similar to mine with the filter mounted in the left rear tire well.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VolkswagenNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level with external filter? Reply with quote

I tend to overthink things Smile yep similar setup to yours Glenn. Thanks for the help everyone!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level with external filter? Reply with quote

VolkswagenNate wrote:
I tend to overthink things Smile

I've been known to do the same.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level with external filter? Reply with quote

Mine with an external filter and thermostat controlled oil cooler is right at about 3.5 quarts.
I also fill the filter before I install it.
I dump the rest of the first three quarts into the engine. I then start it and let it run for about a minute to circulate the oil. Shut it off and give it a minute to settle....check and add whatever it takes to top it off.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Oil level with external filter? Reply with quote

The only time you have to worry about oil level is if you add an external cooler on the roof, those can drain down, any other combo, check like stock.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Das67bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level with external filter? Reply with quote

So if you have an external filter, external oil cooler attached to frame with about 4' of line, I'm guessing you would need about 4 qts of oil.

Does that sound right?

COMFORTABLY NUMB!!
-Pink Floyd
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level with external filter? Reply with quote

Old thread, but didn’t want to start another:

Just bought a 65:

external oil cooler mounted above transaxle on drivers side, and filter on passenger side of transaxle...with 1.5 qt sump.

2.5+1.5+1.5

So fill filter, add 4 to engine and run. Let sit and then fill to full mark?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Oil level with external filter? Reply with quote

Someone wiser will correct me if I'm wrong, but here's my take on it. While it may be possible to determine the exact amount of oil you will need by measuring distances and circumferences of hoses and all that extra information, the EASIEST method is basically this:

Assuming you just drained oil for a change:

- Fill new oil filter and install it (don't forget to smear some on the gasket..)
- pour oil in until the level is between the two marks on the dipstick.
- start engine and add more oil until the level is back between the two marks while it is running.

How many quarts is that? no idea. but I know that allows enough oil to be in the system while it is pumping through all parts of your oil set up.

It's a good habit to check where that level is after shut down and when the engine is cold just so you have reference points for all scenarios. Sometimes I randomly check my oil before driving, sometimes i'll randomly check it after driving. It shouldn't vary too much, but it might. only YOU can know the particular characteristics of YOUR car.

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raggmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level with external filter? Reply with quote

I have a Brazilian case with a 2 quart add on sump, a spin on oil filter, an oil temp thermostat, and an add on auxillary cooler with hoses under the car in the air flow. the stock doghouse cooler is in place. 2165 engine.

My question is: how much oil should I run with this set up?

I've heard too much oil is about as dangerous as not enough, but I dont know where the too much point is with this set up...Where's the happy medium and how do I transfer that level to the dip stick reading? I have a VDO dipstick oil temp sensor.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level with external filter? Reply with quote

raggmann wrote:
I have a Brazilian case with a 2 quart add on sump, a spin on oil filter, an oil temp thermostat, and an add on auxillary cooler with hoses under the car in the air flow. the stock doghouse cooler is in place. 2165 engine.

My question is: how much oil should I run with this set up?

I've heard too much oil is about as dangerous as not enough, but I dont know where the too much point is with this set up...Where's the happy medium and how do I transfer that level to the dip stick reading? I have a VDO dipstick oil temp sensor.

Fill with oil to the top line on the dipstick. Start the engine and lat it run for a few minutes then turn it off. Wait a minute and check the dipstick. Top it up and do it again. Take it for a 15 minute drive and let it sit for a minute or two and check the dipstick. As long as the level is between the line... you're OK.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: