Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weekender kitchen
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

I hear ya on that. At first we used the stock interior but I found myself sometimes kicking the table during the night. I have the jump seat on the garage . No harm no foul.
This tool chest is a bit heavy but it has lots of storage . The portable fridge freezer is a newer item . I’m wired with solar and shore charging so all is well
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

This is what I ended up doing.
Have the fridge next to it. Water tank on the underside. Eats up that trunk space but we prefer it over the alternative.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

All4Him
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647477&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

Whoa...this ^^^ just blew my mind...sweet!

Now if I could convince the Mrs. to sleep upstairs...???!!!

Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
This isn't in our Wolfsburg Weekender, but it's our kitchen setup:

Does the lower unit with the four colored storage boxes under the tabletop fold up? Like so I can stick the four rectangular storage units where ever I like on the road, and collapse the table top for storage up under the poptop?
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:

Does the lower unit with the four colored storage boxes under the tabletop fold up? Like so I can stick the four rectangular storage units where ever I like on the road, and collapse the table top for storage up under the poptop?

The legs are telescopic and the top folds up and stores in a pouch on the side of the container. There's no real efficient way to break it all the way down, but it's certainly possible; the tubes just push into the corner plastic pieces and the bottom tubes are secured with velcro straps.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amkelly28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

Looking for updates info on where I am find a kitchen insert or plans to make one. All these links don’t work?!
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

Friends gave me this LL Bean collapsible camping kitchen for my TinTop.
It fits nicely behind the front seats either side as well as folds up small
and stored in its case. Light enough to move to the outside when camping.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
Friends gave me this LL Bean collapsible camping kitchen for my TinTop.

I like it! I was looking at these last fall (see the previous page in this thread) and wondered if it would work. Amazon sells a similar version with a bamboo top:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010DHTHO4/?coliid=I2MH8..._lig_dp_it

As is usually the case with the Samba, seeing the item inside a Vanagon has brought me that much closer to getting one myself...

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

Hey All!

I have a 71 Tin-Top Baywindow, (I know, I know WRONG section haha but figured for those in the future may help them when they search for what I did as well )

In regards to the Multi-van/Weekender posted a few pages back;

Would this also work in my bus? It appears that this set-up allows the bed to roll up and back a bit in order for the seat to lay flat in bed mode?

Here's a direct link to the page for convenience

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6964149#6964149

1986 Multivan / "Weekender" rear side cabinet Dimensions.........

I have heard that the newer grey / gray ? interior has the rear seat angle different from the brown/beige interior.
Not sure if this is true...... but if it is....... Is the Weekender cabinet size different?

Here is what I have.........

Not very high tech but masking tape and a Sharpie work!

Overall length........ 32 3/4".......
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

In my ongoing search for a truly portable, compact kitchen, I came across this rather ingenious design...And it can be yours for the price of a Syncro transmission rebuild...only $5,740!

http://www.homecrux.com/fpm-packs-everyday-household-items-in-a-luggage/100579/

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

Nice Joe,

This is exactly what i've envisioned as an ideal weekender type kitchen! To rich for my blood though. It would be easy enough to improvise something similar.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

dkoesyncro wrote:
Nice Joe,

This is exactly what i've envisioned as an ideal weekender type kitchen! To rich for my blood though. It would be easy enough to improvise something similar.

I agree, there are some good ideas there. I'm working through a few different possibilities for my Syncro interior. I want to be able to have the kitchen unit set up out under the awning or in the van depending on the circumstances. My wife and daughters have given me a few wants as well.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

I've seen these, if you want to spend some money, super nice.

https://fifthelementcamping.com/honda-element-micro-camper-system/camp-kitchen

Obviously does not have to be exclusive to an element.

I still, however, have not seen a need to "upgrade" from a folding table and a stove. Maybe someday I will, but not yet.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
I've seen these, if you want to spend some money, super nice.

https://fifthelementcamping.com/honda-element-micro-camper-system/camp-kitchen

Obviously does not have to be exclusive to an element.

I still, however, have not seen a need to "upgrade" from a folding table and a stove. Maybe someday I will, but not yet.

I like that, simple and relatively compact.

In all honesty, it's not so much about cooking in the van. We prefer the Coleman stove and a table. However, my wife and daughters want to brush their teeth in the van. We rented a full Westy a couple of summers ago in Washington and that was truly the only thing that they liked better about the full Westy vs. our Weekender.

I have a long-simmering hatred of plastic storage bins so my objective is to remove them from the equation. I hate stacking things up in the interior at bedtime when we're in bear country without a bear box.

I want an inexpensive, lightweight unit that holds kitchen supplies and possibly food, has a simple sink of some sort for brushing teeth, and can be moved freely around the campsite but also has a relatively unobtrusive spot in the van. And I want to be able to take it all out, store it in the garage, and put jump seats in when we're not camping.

I've been doing a lot of research and think I have an idea that will probably require some redneck engineering but might accomplish the goal. Once I have all of the pieces together (and see if it works!) I'll post it up.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

For a portable camp kitchen, we've used the "Grub Hub" for about 6 years now.

NOT the food delivery service! Shocked

See here: https://www.grubhubusa.com/

I like how compact it is when folded, it's ability to hold our kitchen stuff and the counter space it provides when set up. I hang a hiking-style water bladder on the poles to provide water for the unit's sink.

We got it after I was on about rev 6 of my plan to build my own "Patrol Box". Patrol Box is the Boy Scouts term for their portable-camp- kitchen-in-a-box. Thousands of versions built by scouting units over many years. Meant to serve the kitchen needs of a patrol of about 6 people.

Doing a web search on "patrol box" will show a lot of varieties and may lead to some custom inspiration.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22patrol+box%22&atb=v124-7a_&ia=web

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

Our set-up is pretty simple. A roll-up metal table that takes the room of a bag chair when folded up, yet it is metal, so the Coleman green suitcase stove can cook right on top. It's similar to this below.
Good for other vehicles and uses too. Even fits behind the rear seats in the Porsche when I camped out it!

This allows a cooking table separate from a camp site picnic table, for when you have such.

Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yCnvf5T9tw

Ours came from REI (or was it L.L.Bean?), but a current offering from REI looks good.
https://www.rei.com/product/765280/rei-co-op-camp-roll-table
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

I think I learned about this table here.

We don't cook where we sleep

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I think I learned about this table here.

We don't cook where we sleep

I completely agree on the cooking outdorrs thing! We have a very similar folding kitchen centre we got on sale at REI. It does a great job of supporting all our cooking and washing up endeavours. Cheap, too!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

We've narrowed down that cooking our van is not necessary, but brushing teeth and washing faces is a priority.

Last summer, I made this fabulous device from an oil drain pan, a pet water bowl, and some silicone, but it didn't work very well. The lid wouldn't stay on and cleaning it was gross.

I also had this cheap Ozark Trail cabinet thing mentioned on the previous page. It's a great design and holds lots of stuff, but it's really flimsy for full-time duty.

I was thinking about reinforcing it somehow, but then I happened upon one of these hd kitchen carts, used (in price) but still in the box:

https://www.homedepot.com/canvas/pep/StyleWell-Gle...lsrc=aw.ds

If my measurements are correct, it will fit behind the driver's seat. I'll anchor it to existing hooks and mount it with the casters to roll it in or out for camping.

I found a little marine sink on ebay that's only 3.75" deep and should top-mount in the butcher block.

If it all works out (big if) then we'll have a bit of storage and a sink.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender kitchen Reply with quote

^^^ And a nice platform to put a portable stove on to heat meals if desired.....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: