Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

58 Ghia family gem
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
22manybugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: 58 Ghia family gem Reply with quote

I just noticed on the birth certificate "Country of Destination: Syria". That would be a great story how it got from Syria to California.

1969 Karmann Ghia convertible
1971 Westfalia camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: 58 Ghia family gem Reply with quote

22manybugs wrote:
I just noticed on the birth certificate "Country of Destination: Syria". That would be a great story how it got from Syria to California.

I'm guessing by boat Wink

Seriously though there was a Lowlight Ghia from Syria in a topic here about 5 years ago before the terrible troubles kicked off. Sadly the owner was located in an area at the heart of the conflict and we've heard nothing from him in the years since his early posts.

I hope he and his loved ones are safe.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by John Moxon on Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 58 Ghia family gem Reply with quote

Here's the story of the other Syrian Karmann Ghia...a '55: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497229
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zapatoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 Ghia family gem Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Here's the story of the other Syrian Karmann Ghia...a '55: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497229

wow that was interesting! we have to remember syria, (and most of the middle east) in the 50s/60s was very westernized before religious extremism destroyed their cultures. If you have seen pics from syria in the 60s it was a very vibrant place embracing modernism, its not surprising Ghias were being exported to there or in his story a couple driving one back from Germany. Thanks for the link I hope the poster survived the war.
Mawaheb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: 58 Ghia family gem Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
22manybugs wrote:

Seriously though there was a Lowlight Ghia from Syria in a topic here about 5 years ago before the terrible troubles kicked off. Sadly the owner was located in an area at the heart of the conflict and we've heard nothing from him in the years since his early posts.

Hey hey Smile yeah, that guy is me, I re-alocated out of syria, the car has been setting there for the past 5 years actually, it witnessed too much horror, I decided to sell it, and today I got the news that it was sold in the Capital Damascus.

I feel really sad about selling it, but it was impossible to bring it here to Europe.

1955 Karmann Ghia
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 58 Ghia family gem Reply with quote

Mawaheb wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
22manybugs wrote:

Hey hey Smile yeah, that guy is me, I re-alocated out of syria, the car has been setting there for the past 5 years actually, it witnessed too much horror, I decided to sell it, and today I got the news that it was sold in the Capital Damascus.

I feel really sad about selling it, but it was impossible to bring it here to Europe.

Great to hear from you again "Mawaheb" hope you're settling into your new home. Smile
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: 58 Ghia family gem Reply with quote

Zapatoo wrote:
birth certificate arrived from germany finally. thanks for the advice. interesting it was originally sent to syria not sure how my late father in law acquired it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

Dolphin Blue.....Love it! I get compliments on mine every time I take it out. Just make sure your mix is OK before you shoot the color. Best of luck with the restoration. Very Happy I don't drop in here often but you can shoot me some questions if you want. I am currently doing a 914 custom now that I think I am mr metal man HA. After that I will restore a 62 T3 Notch Sunroof that was originally sent to Hong Kong and then I have a 61 Westy that was sold here in Riverside from Econo and has spent its entire life here. I hope my skills are much better by then. Cool Welcome to the Addiction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: