Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356 industrial engines on the dyno
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: 356 industrial engines on the dyno Reply with quote

Hi

From time to time you hear the talk about using Porsche 356 industrial engines in cars. Some people say it can't be done without exchanging cams, lifters, pistons etc.

We had 2 of these industrial engines put on the dyno this friday. Both engines are completely stock internally, and have never been opened up. Only carbs, distributor, oil filter and exhaust are bolted on, long block is stock industrial engine.

One engine is a 1600 industrial engine from 1961.
It runs a set of 32mm Solex PBIC, Bosch BR18 distributor and a homebuilt Abarth style muffler

Second engine is a 1680 industrial engine from 1964 (616/33).
It runs a set of Zeniths (28mm venturis - 75hp 356 engine), Bosch 022 distributor and a homebuilt sidewinder header system with 2" twin muffler setup.

The engines have been running strong for some time now, and we had them dyno tested just to get the numbers, and also check up on the AFR readings.
Pictures show the results.
Check out those flat torque curves! They are a true pleasure to drive Smile

1. engine - 69hp/136nm
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2. engine - 76hp/135nm

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 industrial engines on the dyno Reply with quote

Very nice and both installs look very clean

In this photo, is the fuel line coiled on the left to prevent vapor lock?

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 industrial engines on the dyno Reply with quote

I assume the rockers and valve springs have been upgraded?
Rasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 industrial engines on the dyno Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
I assume the rockers and valve springs have been upgraded?

No. The valve springs are the same 4,5mm type, just as you would find in any Porsche 356 car engine. However, if I were to change the cam I would check the valve spring install height/shims. But this is no issue on these engines with these low rpms.

Why the rockers?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 industrial engines on the dyno Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Very nice and both installs look very clean

In this photo, is the fuel line coiled on the left to prevent vapor lock?

Thanks
This photo explains better I Think Smile

gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 industrial engines on the dyno Reply with quote

Man, those were a steal when Berg was selling them .. I bought 2 for $800 each .. virtually new engines. I still have one of the magnetos ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 356 industrial engines on the dyno Reply with quote

gears wrote:
Man, those were a steal when Berg was selling them .. I bought 2 for $800 each .. virtually new engines. I still have one of the magnetos ..

We bought these engines 6 years ago, and they were reasonable priced back then. Now they are too much money for me, so glad we got them in time. Great little engines!!
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 industrial engines on the dyno Reply with quote

What is the compression ratio if it's 8 or under it has the perfect cam for a turbo. Just think 250 HP @ 10 P.S.I.
Rasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 industrial engines on the dyno Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
What is the compression ratio if it's 8 or under it has the perfect cam for a turbo. Just think 250 HP @ 10 P.S.I.

I dont know, but it is way less than a car engine. The piston has almost no dome.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 industrial engines on the dyno Reply with quote

Rasser wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

I dont know, but it is way less than a car engine. The piston has almost no dome.

Is the head domed? That's what makes it a Hemi. Pistons have little dome to lower the compression.
Rasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 industrial engines on the dyno Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Rasser wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

Is the head domed? That's what makes it a Hemi. Pistons have little dome to lower the compression.

Yes the piston tops go into the cylinder head chamber. The pistons on these industrial engines have almost no dome on the top, hence the low compression. Don’t know the ratio sorry
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: 356 industrial engines on the dyno Reply with quote

So, the flow thru the carbs is what sets the horsepower?
32PBCI = 70 hp (It was 60hp in 1957 1600)
Zeniths = 75 hp
Nice motors.
I was at Valley Core company in 1969 and they had a lot of them laying around.
Dirt cheap, but I'd only paid $200 for my 57 cab and was not gonna buy no stinkin expensive motor for it.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 356 industrial engines on the dyno Reply with quote

What did you do for the muffler? I've got a 356 and a Ghia I'm getting ready to put it in after I replace the Pistons/cyl.s.
Rasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 356 industrial engines on the dyno Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
What did you do for the muffler? I've got a 356 and a Ghia I'm getting ready to put it in after I replace the Pistons/cyl.s.

I built a custom muffler, using parts from a industrial 356 muffler. Built it in Abarth style.
An original 356 muffler is to wide to fit. You need to cut an original one up at each end, and then make it narrower. The ends needs to almost align with the primary pipes coming from the heads.

I´ll see if I can find a few pictures and post in this thread.

Good luck with the conversion, you'll love it Smile
Rasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 356 industrial engines on the dyno Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
So, the flow thru the carbs is what sets the horsepower?
32PBCI = 70 hp (It was 60hp in 1957 1600)
Zeniths = 75 hp
Nice motors.
I was at Valley Core company in 1969 and they had a lot of them laying around.
Dirt cheap, but I'd only paid $200 for my 57 cab and was not gonna buy no stinkin expensive motor for it.
Al

No you can't put it like that, cause the engines are different types. The "75hp" version is a later type which has different heads and bigger valves (356C/912), and it is also 1680cc (64-> industrial engines had low compression 85mm piston/cylinderset mounted from the factory).
The "69hp" engine is a 1961 model and has the old heads and smaller valves, and only around 1580cc.

Camshafts we do not know, but based on the dyne readings, were guessing they are the same. Maybe 60hp Normal cams? (I have a spare one lying around, would be fun to get it measured using a cam doctor tool.

Also the Solex carbs are not 100% original Porsche carbs (the Zeniths are direct from a stock 75hp Porsche super engine with 28mm venturis). The solex carbs have 25mm venturis (I think stock is 26mm?)

So there are quite a few differences between the two core engines. Also the exhaust systems are different. I think the header system on the bus is more effective than my custom built muffler on the ghia.
sleepywiesel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 356 industrial engines on the dyno Reply with quote

Thank you for the information. Very good job! Very Happy
Do you know how many hours these engines ran before you put them into your cars?

Does your lowlight gearbox take the torque or are you running a later gearbox?
Rasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 356 industrial engines on the dyno Reply with quote

sleepywiesel wrote:
Thank you for the information. Very good job! Very Happy
Do you know how many hours these engines ran before you put them into your cars?

Does your lowlight gearbox take the torque or are you running a later gearbox?

The engine in the ghia had 61 hours of use when I got it. The other one about 100 hours.

The gearbox is the original to the car (never been out before).
But actually I have the ghia gearbox apart right now to check up on things and possible replace worn out parts (Maintenance is cheaper than repairs Wink). Only thing not ok, was the bushing the reverse gear is running on - I will replace that with the newer style reverse shaft/gear.
The ring/pinion looks good, and so does the gears and bearings.
I hope to have many years of use with this gearbox in the future. So thats why i took it apart now.

I have little experience with these old split style gearboxes - what is the weakest parts in these gearboxes, when putting extra powers through them?
Anything I can do to add strength to it, while it is apart?
sleepywiesel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 industrial engines on the dyno Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

The problem I had with my '59 original gearbox was that it poped out of gear while driving. Confused
I read on the internet that this can be caused by bigger engines. But I think my gearbox was just worn out.
But apart from that I heard several times that the split transmissions are weak.

Sorry that I can't bring you a better answer Embarassed
But maybe there are some guys in the beetle forum that can help you out. Would be really interesting what experiences they made.
Rasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 industrial engines on the dyno Reply with quote

Jumping out of gear is common fault when the gear and slider are worn so the angled slider teeth can’t keep the gears engaged any longer. This happens on newer gearboxes too.
The early gearbox is definitely weaker. No doubt.

sleepywiesel wrote:
Thanks for the reply!

The problem I had with my '59 original gearbox was that it poped out of gear while driving. Confused
I read on the internet that this can be caused by bigger engines. But I think my gearbox was just worn out.
But apart from that I heard several times that the split transmissions are weak.

Sorry that I can't bring you a better answer Embarassed
But maybe there are some guys in the beetle forum that can help you out. Would be really interesting what experiences they made.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: