Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

I'll have to check them out, thanks!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tyzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

andre b wrote:
if you go with a 670..look up Power Kings bias plys...there cheep and a stiff side wall for light trucks,,,good luck

These one's Andre?

https://www.tires-easy.com/6.70-15/power-king-tires/super-highway-ii/tirecode/WLD34
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

tyzel wrote:
andre b wrote:
if you go with a 670..look up Power Kings bias plys...there cheep and a stiff side wall for light trucks,,,good luck

These one's Andre?

https://www.tires-easy.com/6.70-15/power-king-tires/super-highway-ii/tirecode/WLD34

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391569267338

These ones on eBay are really similar, great price
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

tyzel wrote:
andre b wrote:

These one's Andre?

That sounds like them but that stock photo is way off!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

Well it's been a while since I've updated and I have no good excuse for that but I've got some progress to report.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I cleaned everything out of the bus in preparation for dragging it out to work where I can get it indoors to work on it. The bus has been a storage for parts I've collected over the years for this project. I reduced it down to only the parts I'm going to be welding in or parts I need to bolt on to line stuff up.

Unfortunately the original 6 leg floor is pretty wavy.

Before the corner went in I had to do a little filling where I'd gotten a little aggressive removing what was left of the old corner. I clamped a piece of aluminum angle back there to prevent blow through.

The first tac of many!

I was able to get the rear corner welded in. I still need to put the battery tray in and replace the lower corner but it was a huge step to get this done. I've looked at this bus for years with the corner hacked out.

With a little time to spare Sunday evening I decided to get one of the front signal holes filled in. I think I've mentioned that this bus has had a nose job at some point in its life. Needless to say, those bullets have to go when you have original semaphore posts.

62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
Travis Woodard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

The patina on that bus is great. And that corner made it look so different.

56 PGSG OG paint Wilson Avenue church bus

57 deluxe 23 window OG paint

59 mango

69 bay deluxe bay

66 beetle
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
Well it's been a while since I've updated and I have no good excuse for that but I've got some progress to report.

Don't know about anyone else, but I love these "peek-a-boo" pictures, when a project is moving forward (literally) from one phase to the next. Love the discoloration too! Keep it going!

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

OMG yes my favorite shot too! Keep up the good work.

62DoKaGuy wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:

Don't know about anyone else, but I love these "peek-a-boo" pictures, when a project is moving forward (literally) from one phase to the next. Love the discoloration too! Keep it going!

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Travis Woodard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

I’m excited to just see that bus has moved. Adam is making some tracks now.

56 PGSG OG paint Wilson Avenue church bus

57 deluxe 23 window OG paint

59 mango

69 bay deluxe bay

66 beetle
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

completely on board with the blinker delete. Semaphores rule.

From the back it won't make a difference and up front you can see what is going on, even if the people can not

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

Well, once again some time has passed but I have some work to show for it. I sent some time working on the dash this weekend.

This is where I was starting from. It was real close from when I fit it years ago but definitely lacking final fit.

I went ahead and got the steering column and heater tube out of the way.

And this is what I ended up with after some grinding and cleaning and I'm real happy with it!

I still need to clean up the back side of the nose where i filled in the bullet turn signal holes and speaking of bullet holes, the donor dash came from a bus that had been used for target practice. Luckily the dash survived well enough but the parcel tray/dash support and heater Y-pipe didn't come out as clean. I heated the metal a bit and folded back what I could and I will weld them up from there.

I lifted the bus up when I needed a little brake and did some inspecting and I was really happy to see the lower shock bolts still had their lock tabs in place. It's the little things!

62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

I know the guy that used the bus the dash came from for target practice, if you want to return the favor to him.. Shocked Wink
Looking good!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

Nice bus.

Looks like my dash swap. I needed to squeeze the front to make the dash fit nice. Appears you have the same issue.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=176
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Nice bus.

Looks like my dash swap. I needed to squeeze the front to make the dash fit nice. Appears you have the same issue.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=176

I had not even considered that! There is a gap on each end but I assumed it was where I had maybe ground too much away and would have to fill it. I will measure my other buses that aren't cut apart and match the 55 to them. Thanks for the tip!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
BATComm1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

I'm watchin.....

1965 Beetle, 1966 13 window deluxe walk thru (SOLD) 84 Rabbit 16V Swap
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

So, I'm not great with these updates so here's some recent progress.

Before getting the dash in there was some patching that was necessary in the A pillars.

Both sides got the same treatment. It was mentioned that the nose might flex without the dash and parcel tray support in there so I measured a couple of my other buses and it looked as if it held its dimension. The dash was a little gaped at the pillar though so I did a little weld line to help bridge the gap at install.

I got the unnecessary holes filled in the dash too.

While fitting the dash and heater pipe and parcel tray support I ran into an unexpected obstacle. Things just were't fitting. Again, luckily I had other buses to measure and I found that the heater pipe had been installed almost an inch to high above the floor when the bus had a nose job. I later confirmed this when I found a donor heater pipe in my collection and could see that the one that came out had been shortened. So out it came! Probably for the better as I would soon find.

While I was down there, I decided to remove all four bumper bolts that were broken off in the frame.

My good friend Dewayne wanted to work on the dents in the buses nose a bit so I halted work on the dash install until we could schedule a time to get together on it. In the mean time I looked for other projects and decided to get on removing the decklid carrier that had been hacked. I had a donor that still needs some serious fitting and cleaning up but luckily it still had the backing piece on it which had been hacked on my bus also.

A couple weeks later Dewayne and I got together with a stud gun and a foot ball and made some serious progress on a nose that at first I had thought wasn't too bad LOL Some other friends joined in on the fun that day too.

Much much more to do to this old bus but I am making progress despite my lack of updates.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:

Hopefully you have got those axle boots now turned properly.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Hopefully you have got those axle boots now turned properly.

That's the least of my worries right now! Laughing Laughing Laughing
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

Got the chance to spend some time on the 55 recently. My good friend Dewayne offered to come help again. I think he is getting in some good old VW therapy while he waits to get started on the mole. His patience is something I long to learn. I really enjoy watching him pull the nose of the bus. The subtle tugs and use of the shrinking disc to get rid of tin canning is captivating for a BFH guy like me.

I think we were both surprised how good it looked once we shot primer on it. You'd expect it to look worse with a consistent color on it but I'm pretty pleased.

While he is working on the nose we decided to leave the dash out so I was back to working on the rear corner. The donor needs a little straightening but I got it cut down and started fitting it along with the OG battery tray. Nothing fits like OG metal even if it is a little worse for the wear Laughing I removed the pillar section from the skin and I plan to use it to repair the lower corner but decided it would produce a better outcome doing them as separate jobs.

Also go the decklid carrier trimmed and fit better before having to call it a day.

62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: