Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Neal dual handle cutting brakes rebuild
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deebrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Neal dual handle cutting brakes rebuild Reply with quote

First time vw owner/first time poster... I would greatly appreciate some advice on rebuilding these neal cutting brakes. I can't seem to figure out how they come apart or what size rebuild kit I need.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Neal dual handle cutting brakes rebuild Reply with quote

Crack the jam nuts loose on the blue anodized clevises, and take off the chrome handles. There should be an internal circlip under the rubber boot you can get off with circlip pliers. Then the guts will pull out of it, sometimes I use compressed air to pop them out, but be careful not to take a master cylinder piston to the eye. Also try not to take atomized brake fluid to to eye.

If your car has drum brakes, it will likely be 5/8", and disc brakes usually use a 3/4" turning brake bore.

If they have led a decent life you'll see the internal bore is in decent shape, and you'll just need something like this.

https://dunebuggywarehouse.com/cnc-dual-handle-cutting-brake-rebuild-kit-for-5-8-bore.html

This is clearly a stretch from one detailed close picture, but it seems your car is clean and set up well just based on the attention to detail I see in that shot. But... do I see a missing shift bushing on your shift rod, north of the cutting brake? Good luck keeping her healthy!
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Deebrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Neal dual handle cutting brakes rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks for the help Jimmy. I tore into them today and the pics show what I found... I can't see a way, besides maybe a hammer and chisel to get these things apart. [/quote]
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Neal dual handle cutting brakes rebuild Reply with quote

Woah, you ran me out of talent there. Shocked I've never seen that style of rod retainer. Maybe push in on that inner ring surrounding the rod and see if it exposes a retaining ring you can pick out?

If not, check out those stake marks on the edges of the cylinder bodies. Maybe those rod retainers are threaded and you have to drill out that peening or something to allow them to be unthreaded.

All of the primary braking hardware in my Chenowth was Neal too, and I have about 3 dfferent types of Neal Masters and all my new CNC ones I bought as well to replace them on my Neal pedal set, as well as my CNC turning brake, and none of them work that way and I've taken all of them apart.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Deebrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Neal dual handle cutting brakes rebuild Reply with quote

Talked to CNC today about these levers... no good ideas from them on how to rebuild them. Fortunately they think my problem is probably a bleeding issue.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Neal dual handle cutting brakes rebuild Reply with quote

Somewhere on my build thread, I talked about bleeding issues. Simply put, let gravity help you out! Jack the rear of the car as high as you can, and crack the bleeders overnight. Air will escape most of the system, then commence the bleeding process. I used a 1" ratchet strap without the ratchet to pull the brake lever and open the bleeders at the same time, slowly. One pump per bleed, unlike normal car systems when you pump pump pump hold, crack, tighten, pump pump pump...

Good luck!

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fernairbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: How are the Plungers removed for Rebuild? Reply with quote

I have a CNC dual handle cutting brake that I need to rebuild, and it looks just like that. How in the world do you get those plungers out? There's no retainer that I can see at all. They almost look pressed in. Sad
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Neal dual handle cutting brakes rebuild Reply with quote

I did this but for the life of me I can't remember. It was simple. I'm thinking push the plunger in there will be an internal clip?
race-desert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Neal dual handle cutting brakes rebuild Reply with quote

it looks like the one pictured above is staked in- you can see the punch marks on each outer side.!?
SmokeyRanger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Neal dual handle cutting brakes rebuild Reply with quote

Necroing a old thread, Sorry but I have almost the same CNC Turning brake and could not find any information on removing the pistons. Mine have small set screws, the retainers on the ones pictured are staked. Anyway back to my point .... They unscrew out ... Right hand thread ... Just FYI
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: