Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
Very cool. Post your thoughts on the final product, fit, finish, etc., with pics of course.

That ad is funny in that it's an aol.com email address. Don't see that too often these days.

Yeah Brent doesn't have any social media either, but he's a real good guy. He's called me twice already to verify everything is good and make sure shipping was right. So far I'm really impressed with him. And of coarse I'll post updates Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
Very cool. Post your thoughts on the final product, fit, finish, etc., with pics of course.

That ad is funny in that it's an aol.com email address. Don't see that too often these days.

This made me want to do a quick check.
For people who have logged in over the past 30 days, 5% have AOL emails.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
zozo wrote:

are you hijacking my thread Everett? Smile I'm going to venture to guess that 60% are Gmail and 20% are yahoo Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
zozo wrote:

I'm surprised it's that many. LOL or should I say AOLOL?
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Yeah Brent doesn't have any social media either, but so he's a real good guy.

FIFY
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I got the bumper and was impressed with you solid it is! I weighs over 50lbs

These big brackets connect to the lower front beam bolt. The connect to the lower bolt of the bumper. Note how the side on the beam has a slant upwards. It was a little confusing which end when where.

I was able to get it on myself but it was a bit of a chore

Overall I'm happy!

Next project is three point retractable belts for the front. Ordered a set from RetroBelts
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

I haz a envy.
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

I envy 2!
We'll need you to be at the front of the caravan through Big Bend this year. Confused

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

both cargo doors are crusty

last year at big bend a lot of dust came up though the holes so i cleaned up the metal with a wheel and cleaned it with mineral spirits

I didn't have any POR15 left so I'm trying this (way cheaper)

After it dries I'll be able to glue in the seals.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

got my belts from retro belts

anchor plates

I'm not putting it behind the pillar. i'm not worried about the aesthetics and after it's all welded around and in the plug holes it should be plenty strong.

also ordered the L brackets. they are a must
Travis Woodard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Your bus has came along ways looks great.

56 PGSG OG paint Wilson Avenue church bus

57 deluxe 23 window OG paint

59 mango

69 bay deluxe bay

66 beetle
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

found an external speaker for the CB for really cheap on ebay, turns out it's really lout. (which is good cause it's hard to hear in the bus)

Glued a couple of hard drive magnets to it

and snapped it on to the fresh air box and pointing right at me so it's loud and clear!
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

with the help of a friend we got the brackets welded in!

he's a good welder!

I figured if anyone is interested in how I set mine up. First i purchased this kit from retro belts... https://www.retrobelt.com/products/shoulder-belt-with-aviation-style-buckles-rear-seat along with their two L brackets and bolt kit. The plates we welded in I got from CIP1

Test fitted everything before committing to painting it.

After lots of taping off I got them painted. I'm real happy with how it turned out!

tomorrow i'm pulling apart my carb to clean it and replace the fuel lines with a metal braided lines that look like stock ones.
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Very nice. Can you provide more info on the new fuel lines you're installing, the metal, braided ones?
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
Very nice. Can you provide more info on the new fuel lines you're installing, the metal, braided ones?

Stainless Steel/Nylon Braided AN4 4-AN Black Oil/Fuel Line Hose By Foot/Feet
Description
100% Brand Bew, Has Never Been Shipped
Color: Black
Inner hose Materail: CPE Synthetic material hose
Outside: coverd with high quality Nylon and stainless steel wires
Working Temperature:-40 F to +350 F
Working Pressure:500 PSI
Burst pressure:2000 PSI
Inner diameter:0.22"
Outside diameter:0.44"

Package includes:
1 feet an4 oil line
If you order 10 feet, we will ship you a continuous-ten foot

$2.44 a foot free shipping https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F252833662702
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

All done! The little plastic cover finishes it off. They feel good, don't seem to be in the way or uncomfortable.

tore apart my carb because the float stuck the other day. Turns out the needle valve was sticking.

Ended up stripping the few threads that were left in one of the five top screws, so i retapped it and put a nut on the other side.

the throttle spring cut a grove in this arm so i put a little grease on it.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

found these 2 inch plugs at Lowes

broke off the tabs and put a hole in the center

sandwiched them between the breastplate to plug the hole. Still need to paint it black

Also replaced the throttle cable, the one in there was too long and i had less and less pedal as it stretched out. Ended up running a clutch cable through the tube connected to a drill to keep it from binding. Also replaced the throttle spring on the carb and it is way better now! Nice high pedal, get full throttle and it comes back to idle quick.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

new fuel lines

hold cover installed
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Since I have no cabinets like most campers I found this table. It's called the Camp Chef Sherpa Table. It's about 27" wide and has four bins and legs that extend. One of the bins is waterproof and can act as a cooler or wash basin. I think it is going to be big enough to hold all my camping gear and it can double as a table in the bus.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

In my experience, the best stuff for inside a bus is the stuff you can put outside when you are inside. Except the bed, of course.

That table fits that bill

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 26

Jump to: