Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SACO front disc brake installation experience
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: SACO front disc brake installation experience Reply with quote

After a month of looking into a disc brake kit for my 1959 Westfalia, I decided to go with SACO despite some of the negative responses on the site, which by and large seemed to date back at least two years or more.
I chose them because their kit looked less like something cobbled together from spare parts off other cars, allowed me to use my stock wheels and was several hundred dollars less then the other kit I was considering which was the CSP kit.
In addition I also ordered a 1967 dual master cylinder from German Auto which makes the SACO kit.
Everything's arrived quick and packaged well. No parts were missing. What was lacking was installation directions, but this has been covered for years so like everyone else I had to figure it out myself and had to make a couple calls to SACO, ask questions on the site and get expert advice from the world famous Boger City Bus Repair.
To help others Who might chose this kit I figured I would do a short write up on installation and preliminary reaction to the product.

Step 1: remove your old drums and backing plates along with bearings and big bearing washer. You can use your old rubber brake lines but if you do you will have to remove them from the retaining bracket if you are going to run your calipers in the back of the rotor.

Step 2: inner bearing spacer orientation is important. Make sure after you pull it off to remove the backing plate you install it the same way, with the beveled side FACING in, not out. If you screw this up the caliper will not fit on the rotor and if you do not use the spacer it will not fit correctly. Someone else who posted pictures on the Samba of an attempt to install this kit and failed did so because they messed up on this part.

Step 3: install caliper mounting bracket, the big square aluminum plate, using four beveled Allen head bolts. I called SACO and they told me to torque them down to 20lbs and use Locktite. I installed mine so the caliper is behind the spindle.

Step 4: install inner bearing into hub. I had fitment issues with the inner bearing. Not uncommon, so I had to use a file and go over the mounting area for the bearing on the spindle to get it to slide on freely. best to dry fit the bearing first to make sure it will slide on and off freely before installing and greasing everything up. Also, the inner bearings grease seal seats pretty far into the hub.

Step 5: slide hub onto spindle.

Step 6: install outer bearing and retaining washer from kit. Use your original axle nuts. Adjust your bearings and use stock lockplate.

Step 7: install dust cover with three screws.

Step 8: install caliper. Here is where it got tricky. Installing the caliper is pretty straight forward. Screw your rubber line into it first and tighten, then mount it on the bracket from behind using the two bolts torqued down to 15lbs with locktite. Pad installation is easy, they slide in and are held in with a single bolt. I had no issues with fit of the caliper or disc like a previous poster but again, I think it was because of the fore mentioned bearing spacer issue.
The problem was after I added fluid and bled the system the calipers leaked where the brass fittings for the bleeding screws screw in to the aluminum housing.
The fittings had what I thought was teflon tape around them and I did not touch them. The bleeders were all loose, so I tightened the four bottom ones naturally along with the tops when I installed, but did not mess with the brass fittings. So I can only assume this was a manufacturing problem. SACO Was more than willing to exchange them when I called adding they couldn't figure out what the problem was and said they have not had this problem before.
I tried tightening the pipe fittings, removing and per SACOs advice, reapplying teflon tape, but it did no good. I was advised instead by someone else to use Permetex high temp pipe fitting compound. So, I pulled all the fittings, cleaned them with brake cleaner as well as the calipers where they screwed in, applied the permetex stuff, installed , let it sit overnight and then added brake fluid, bled and no leaks so far.

The other issue I had was the rotor was hitting the caliper in a few spots on both wheels. There were two or three slight high spots which I had to use my grinder to remove.

Once I removed all the air from the system and adjusted the master cylinder brake rod correctly there was a short break in period. There was a clattering noise coming from the pads, but it went away.
I cannot say much about performance to date, they for sure work as well as my old drums on surface streets, but I need to try them out in different circumstances to see if there is a real big improve in performance. I will update later if problems arise and when I get a better sense of the brakes performance.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now

Last edited by Braukuche on Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: SACO front disc brake installation experience Reply with quote

That bearing spacer must be removed in order to remove the backing plate.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: SACO front disc brake installation experience Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
That bearing spacer must be removed in order to remove the backing plate.

Correct.
That's where I messed up, putting it back on backward the first time.
Directions have been edited.
Anyone else notices any other glaring mistakes please point them out and I will edit my post.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: SACO front disc brake installation experience Reply with quote

No mistakes, just the "square" piece of aluminum could have been formed better IMO. Think

What was the co$t of this kit? Confused
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: SACO front disc brake installation experience Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
No mistakes, just the "square" piece of aluminum could have been formed better IMO. Think

Yeah, what were they thinking!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: SACO front disc brake installation experience Reply with quote

Including the master cylinder and shipping it was like $1200.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: SACO front disc brake installation experience Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
pyrOman wrote:

Yeah, what were they thinking!

They were thinking the added materials cost was less than the labor to profile the mounting plate to the spindle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: SACO front disc brake installation experience Reply with quote

I do agree with ^^^that^^^, and it is something you don't see unless you are under it. But it's just ugly looking to my taste. If they are using a CNC to machined the part it shouldn't take that much more to throw a bit of profile into it. Again, just IMO. Confused
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: SACO front disc brake installation experience Reply with quote

I agree, that is flat out fugly. I'd expect something like that on an economy kit, not an upper end kit. And that increases the unsprung weight which will hurt your handing (not that busses handle.....). Very Happy
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubman67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: SACO front disc brake installation experience Reply with quote

I purchased a DC project with Saco discs. Everything is installed but the flexible brake lines. What lines work with this kit? Stock?
Thanks
"At 17 got my first Volkswagen...and mastered the life long art of dragin...." Ice Cube
Icehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: SACO front disc brake installation experience Reply with quote

I have them on my bus for 10 years. They are okay. They have always felt slightly warped even when they were new. Way better then drums though.

Does anyone know where to buy the brake pads? Mine finally made it to metal on metal.
dubman67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: SACO front disc brake installation experience Reply with quote

Icehouse wrote:
I have them on my bus for 10 years. They are okay. They have always felt slightly warped even when they were new. Way better then drums though.

Does anyone know where to buy the brake pads? Mine finally made it to metal on metal.

They're basically Willwood. I'd start there.
"At 17 got my first Volkswagen...and mastered the life long art of dragin...." Ice Cube
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: SACO front disc brake installation experience Reply with quote

Icehouse wrote:

I got tired of the warpage and bought a set of EMPI ones, much nicer now. It was eating up the pads.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: