Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

23-Window conversion kit
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthony232
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: 23-Window conversion kit Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of a company making a Samba 23 window Bus conversion kit? If so, any feedback on it?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 23-Window conversion kit Reply with quote

This guy does it and sells tons of conversion parts:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2103839
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: 23-Window conversion kit Reply with quote

Do the math........You have to buy the window seals and all the roof a$$y., Redo the headliner. They do good work, but it is not cheap
Grumpy's Metal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 23-Window conversion kit Reply with quote

Hey Anthony,

we do that work day in and day out--

WE STAMP YOUR ROOF .. so it's your hardtop and we stamp the windows into the existing roof.

here is a video

https://grumpysmetal.com/what-we-do#convert-your-bus

let me know if you have any questions

John

Have you visited GrumpysMetal.com Lately?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 23-Window conversion kit Reply with quote

John,

I've been curious about what tooling you've developed to stamp the windows into the roof. I've been messing around with this myself for my own bus. I imagine you have a form, brace and die with some sort of pressing method. Any information you're willing to share would be much appreciated.

I also tried hammer forming these sections with some degree of success but yours look way too clean to have been done that way.

And to contribute to this thread, I've bought several parts from grumpys metal and they are all top quality. Better than factory in all cases.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 23-Window conversion kit Reply with quote

I wonder if they add the belly pans too???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nubby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 23-Window conversion kit Reply with quote

Loren wrote:
I wonder if they add the belly pans too???

They sell the belly pans if that’s what you’re asking.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 23-Window conversion kit Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
John,

I've been curious about what tooling you've developed to stamp the windows into the roof. I've been messing around with this myself for my own bus. I imagine you have a form, brace and die with some sort of pressing method. Any information you're willing to share would be much appreciated.

I also tried hammer forming these sections with some degree of success but yours look way too clean to have been done that way.

And to contribute to this thread, I've bought several parts from grumpys metal and they are all top quality. Better than factory in all cases.

I wish they would have shown them doing the stamping in the video.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 23-Window conversion kit Reply with quote

I'm guessing a milled billet of aluminum or steel with a portable hydraulic punch to draw them together. That's how I would approach it.

Considering they are the only ones doing it and everyone wants to know how, it's proprietary. KFC isn't letting that chicken recipe out either.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: