Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Making thin film RTV gaskets
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Making thin film RTV gaskets Reply with quote

I think I posted this at one time but I cannot find it...so since it came up in a couple of posts this week I decided to do a better one.

I originally started using this to seal 004 transmission cases.....and it worked pretty good....and now use it with Permatex gear oil specific RTV which works MUCH better
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0023GM2KK/ref=asc_df_B0...6710904314

I have used this method for numerous engine case joints...and it seals perfectly. Very uniform.

It is also perfect for refurbishing the phenolic block intake manifold gasket sets on type 3 and 4....after you carefully sand off the original gasket on a sheet of glass with 800-1200 grit paper and degrease them.
I use Permatex gray or black on those.

But here is the basic method:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So for this how to...I just used a semi-clean case I had on the bench and wiped the cases edges with MEK. This is just a sample for the camera and not a real build

A sheet of cheap plate glass with the edges taped (or you can Dremel them smooth). The "X" is marked on the backside wit ha Sharpie marker so I can show how thin this is for the camera...and I use it this way as a visual gauge for me as to how even the RTV is in thickness.

Run out a couple of thick strips of RTV on the glass.

Start rolling it out. At first the roller will just ski across it until it thins out. Then use even and overlapping strokes.

The roller is called a "brayer" it is for rolling out block printing ink. This is a cheap one with a plastic body. They make them in widths down to about 3/8". They are available in the $8-20 range at most hobby and craft shops like Hobby Lobby.
I have a 1/2" wide one for working around studs and couple of wider ones. The harder the rubber the thinner it will roll out any liquid or paste.

These work by""shearing" the paste using its natural viscosity and tack.

WARNING: DO NOT do too much at one time. This method makes the RTV cure about 10X faster. So your working time is about 8-15 minutes. After that the RTV will be nearly dry to the touch (still needs to cure for hours though). After that I immediately clean the roller with MEK or acetone and I razor blade the glass clean for a new batch.

In about 15-25 strokes...and its speed and pressure dependent....it thins out to a VERY even layer and is transparent or translucent its so thin. You can see the "X" on the back side of the glass through the RTV.

This took less than 1 minute

Just for this demo....I am using one of my precision wet thickness measuring tools to see how thick this RTV is.

This tool has an NIST certificatiin to accuracy of 1 micron (1/25,400th of 1 inch). For reference.... .001" = 25.4 microns.

You can see that this RTV layer is right at 1.9 microns thick.

So roll across the flat sealing surfaces just like you rolled on the glass. Make a pass on an area and then reload the roller on the glass...work quickly. Make two quick transfer passes to all areas and look for uniform color.

I put X's with sharpie marker in strategic areas so I can see that it is rolling on thin and evenly.

You can see from these close ups...how smooth and of uniform texture this method is.

You need to let this dry completely...and typically for a case parting line...I run a second layer. I do this to both sides of the case. The total build is usually about 4-6 microns per side for a total of 8-12 microns...so about 1/2 of .001".

These go together dry and the there is just enough interlacing surface texture and crush to give perfect sealing. In some cases I have built them out to a total of right at .001". I do that for the phenolic blocks because the machine kerfs in both manifold and head are deeper. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Making thin film RTV gaskets Reply with quote

Nice input Ray, did not know of this method before!

How hard is it to split and clean a case after it has been seald with this method?

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Making thin film RTV gaskets Reply with quote

Lars S wrote:
Nice input Ray, did not know of this method before!

How hard is it to split and clean a case after it has been seald with this method?

/Lars S

Thanks Lars!

Its actually very easy. You are putting the case together after the RTV is dry. You are really just making two very thin compressible gaskets...one on each side of the case.If you keep them thin like this....about 2-4 microns on each side...your total is maybe 8 microns. That is .00031" thick. So its just some compressibility but makes the gap between cases halves actually nil. Its really just to fill the very fine machine and lapping marks that a case may have.

In some situations when a case sealing surface is less than perfect I may apply an extra wet application to the side with the least protrusions/dowels etc....minutes before joining.

Its a way to produce gasket thicknesses that are just otherwise not available. It works very well on the intake gasket blocks.

The way these also work....is that the gasket is thin enough to compress only to the limits of its thickness...if that makes sense. By this I mean...for instance.....take a look at the red, hard fiber gasket ring that goes on the fuel tank outlet under the large nut.

That is a very special gasket. It has to be a GASKET...because a flat rubber ring ....or an o-ring....would keep compressing as the nut torqued down. They will not get to a point where they load up enough to make the nut like down tight. It will always either work loose...of if you tighten it down until the nut has enough load to lock...it squishes the rubber flat ring or o-ring out of the way and it leaks.

Many other gaskets between hard machined surfaces are this way. A thick layer of anything between case halves is not good. You do not want to make distance between the case halves on the one hand...but also you do not want to squeeze material out of the way. Same with the intake gaskets. This is why they are gaskets and RTV applied wet always begins to leak or makes a mesh. But applying the RTV evenly to make a gasket of it....without a tool or method....is difficult. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Making thin film RTV gaskets Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that. Another tool for the toolbox.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: