Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia SO23 rear hatch wood panel washers-screws
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
delx23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Westfalia SO23 rear hatch wood panel washers-screws Reply with quote

Hi guys I'm finally at the reassembly time om my 61 SO23 and I have all the hardware and screws originally on the camper.. however I wasn't the original owner and even if the bus was in great conditions when I acquired many years ago I need to check a couple of details...
The washers on the rear hatch interior wood panel are the comon aluminum ones like the one holding door panels on standard and deluxe up to 63 or the different style metal with smaller screws in the pictures..?
I have both style in the pictures..and found the aluminum one on rear panel and on the cargo doors interior panels..
I found steel chromed metal ones in several spots like the infamous rear vinyl mat ..
Fabio
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia SO23 rear hatch wood panel washers-screws Reply with quote

All the cargo area interior panels used the smaller size 2.9x13mm screws with no washers. The rear mat and banana piece used the small washers with a longer 2.9x19mm screw. The small washers were used in a couple other places too. If you have original panels you should see the impression in the wood. The holes for the small screws were slightly counter-sunk as well.

The aluminum washers were used with the 3.5x13mm on all the cab area panels.

Westfalia reduced the number of panel screw they used in 61. I have seen a few pics of 61 and later buses showing the aluminum washers used on the cargo door panels and would not be surprised if they were original to the interior.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
delx23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia SO23 rear hatch wood panel washers-screws Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
All the cargo area interior panels used the smaller size 2.9x13mm screws with no washers. The rear mat and banana piece used the small washers with a longer 2.9x19mm screw. The small washers were used in a couple other places too. If you have original panels you should see the impression in the wood. The holes for the small screws were slightly counter-sunk as well.

The aluminum washers were used with the 3.5x13mm on all the cab area panels.

Westfalia reduced the number of panel screw they used in 61. I have seen a few pics of 61 and later buses showing the aluminum washers used on the cargo door panels and would not be surprised if they were original to the interior.

Thanks Doug i do have the original panels including the cargo doors with the formica and the right side with wood and with the rear wood panel.. they all show a light marking for presence of a washer under the screws..
it would be nice to hear other westfalia owners too..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: