Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

your successful "crank-start" checklist of procedures...
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: your successful "crank-start" checklist of procedures... Reply with quote

For those of you who have and occasionally use the "crank start" set-up on your early 36hp Transporters, can you describe the checklist you go through to get ready to crank-start your Buses for all of us. Add any tips. I bet Lind can coach us all on this! You know, something like:

1. Set hand brake.

2. Ensure the gear shift is definitely in neutral.

3. (Any particular choke setting?)

4. (do you pump the gas pedal once, twice, three times or not at all?)

5. Open engine compartment, and insert crank handle into position to engage the "starter dog nut". Do not yank the handle yet. (In preparation, do you prefer to start with the handle down and yank upward, or up and spin downward?)

6. When ready, turn the ignition key to the start/run position and head back to the crank handle.

7. Yank up?/down? on the handle.

8. Smile!!!

I'll bet there are not many of us who have even done this. So it'll be nice to hear from the few, the proud and the brave on their preferred technique. Perhaps discuss the differences between the procedure for crank-starting a cold or a pre-run warm engine?

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: your successful "crank-start" checklist of procedures... Reply with quote

I remember hand cranking the engine in my '57 cold & had to pull the choke half way to keep it running. I never pumped the gas though, the little 36er just fired up every time with one light crank. If the engine was warm it barely needed a full "cranking" just lightly flicked it over.

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: your successful "crank-start" checklist of procedures... Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
For those of you who have and occasionally use the "crank start" set-up on your early 36hp Transporters, can you describe the checklist you go through to get ready to crank-start your Buses for all of us. Add any tips. I bet Lind can coach us all on this! You know, something like:

1. Set hand brake.

2. Ensure the gear shift is definitely in neutral.

3. (Any particular choke setting?)

4. (do you pump the gas pedal once, twice, three times or not at all?)

5. Open engine compartment, and insert crank handle into position to engage the "starter dog nut". Do not yank the handle yet. (In preparation, do you prefer to start with the handle down and yank upward, or up and spin downward?)

6. When ready, turn the ignition key to the start/run position and head back to the crank handle.

7. Yank up?/down? on the handle.

8. Smile!!!

I'll bet there are not many of us who have even done this. So it'll be nice to hear from the few, the proud and the brave on their preferred technique. Perhaps discuss the differences between the procedure for crank-starting a cold or a pre-run warm engine?

Bill Bowman

I wired in a spade terminal connector in line to the 15 terminal on the coil, so I can leave the ignition on up front, and then just hook it up/unhook it at the back so that I don't have to go back and forth between startings. A good crank starting session involves allowing the spectators to crankstart it themselves, which is even more fun than just watching.

I roll the crank up to the top slowly, then attach the wire to terminal 15, and then quickly push down. Depending where TDC is in relation to the dog nut, it should start before you hit bottom. When you are rolling the handle up to the top, it confirms that you are not in gear. (if your bus starts rolling away from you at this step, you might be in gear). When I am setting it up for a spectator, I roll it to the top, and just let them push it down.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: your successful "crank-start" checklist of procedures... Reply with quote

I think that, like with Model T's, it's better to pull up on the crank rather than pushing it down. Should the engine decide to kick back, it rips the handle out of your hands rather than breaking both arms...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: your successful "crank-start" checklist of procedures... Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
I think that, like with Model T's, it's better to pull up on the crank rather than pushing it down. Should the engine decide to kick back, it rips the handle out of your hands rather than breaking both arms...

if anyone ever had a broken arm from a VW, we would have heard about it. The VW engine does not turn backwards unless maybe your timing was so terrible that you could not have driven the bus to begin with.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: your successful "crank-start" checklist of procedures... Reply with quote

Link

It's best if your engine is in good tune. Otherwise, you can do a fair amount of hand cranking to no avail.

It is without a doubt MUCH easier to hand crank from the top of the stroke headed down. You keep your center of balance that way. The only time mine ever kicked back was when I was slowly setting it into position. The pulley nut is designed so that it throws the drive dog at the end of the handle out of the way of the crankshaft nut.

I usually start with no 5 above. Open engine lid. flip the breast plate cover to the open position, insert handle, guide the drive dog into position, slowly crank the handle around until it is at the top of the stroke, move to the front of the bus.

Choke setting depends upon the temperature of the engine it really doesn't /shouldn't effect hand cranking any different than normal.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: your successful "crank-start" checklist of procedures... Reply with quote

My 58 is a little different in that it is dual carbed. I've been using it a bit because my starter has been acting up. Anyway, I work the throttle a couple time since to shoot some juice in and then position a thing the top and push down. If the engine is hot I usually have to turn it over a couple times before it fires. I love having that option, so much easier then having to get someone bump start you.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: your successful "crank-start" checklist of procedures... Reply with quote

Hi all,

I almost forgot about adding this video clip shot by a buddy named Chris Walsh. My starter isn't turning very fast, sometimes making start-up a pain in the ass. Then I remembered that I had the entire set-up for crank-starting this 36hp engine. The one-year-only crank handle has been stored away since the restoration under the back seat pedestal. At our recent "Buses By The Arch #32" event back in September, the starter was having trouble turning the engine over fast enough to let the DC fire-up. I had a "DOH!" moment! I realized I could just get the one-year-only extra long 1959-only crank-handle out and crank-start this old girl up! I have done this before on other folks VWs, both Split-Beetles and Buses, but I had not ever tried the process on my own Double-Cab! I even own a 1956 Ziegler-built fire department water pump (with a 1956 36hp Industrial engine with magneto) used back in the day for fire-fighting that has a crank-start feature and that I have started up quite a bit. A great friend Brian Holcomb (RIP) taught me how to best set-up and pull on the crank handle in the safest and most successful way to start the engine. So a few BNNTA attendees gathered around to check it out, and thankfully Chris caught the my first "crank-start" experience with the 1959 Double-Cab.

I only have the link to his post on his Facetube site (I don't do the Facebook thing) so hopefully you can view it via this link. If Chris ever sends the video clip in a format I can store and read, I'll post it up to Youtube and then the Samba.com for your enjoyment. If you can figure out how to post this better to theSamba.com, please feel free to do so.

Enjoy my "happy moment"!

Bill

https://www.facebook.com/chris.walsh.1426876/videos/1435598723216083/

Link

Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: your successful "crank-start" checklist of procedures... Reply with quote

Link

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: your successful "crank-start" checklist of procedures... Reply with quote

Link

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: