Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

M&H Front Runner questions
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrcade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: M&H Front Runner questions Reply with quote

I have some 3.5" Erco rims and I'm wondering which front runner size to get.
I've seen both 3.5/22.0-15 and 3.6/24.0-15 M&H pop up for sale on TheSamba and I'm not sure which is best for my Bug street/strip w/2 1/2 drop spindles. I assume the 22s are the most common run by everyone for more clearance.

Also what are the advantages of a true front runner over a skinny radial on the strip?
fabricator john
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true front runners are really really light weight as they are a drag only race tire we ran the 22.5 m&h on a pro street sandrail for several years without incodent but you could easily curl the front end car weight was 830lbs wet ,im not sure about running them on a street driven sedan you could roll one off the rim in a hard corner because they are pretty much treaded innertubes ....
fabricator john
rrcade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably safer to run Tubes hey?
fabricator john
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im say "not recomended for street use "
fabricator john
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT run front runners on the street. They are not heavy enough and will wear out quickly. They are also not a tire that likes to turn. They are meant to go in a straight line, period. I drove with mine on for a day testing my car on the freeway. They were downright scary if I tried to turn at any kind of speed. When properly inflated they have a VERY narrow contact patch.

brad
TyeDyeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front runners are a bias ply tire and shouldn't be ran with radial tires on the rear, it makes for some sketchy handling.
John
rrcade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyeDyeBug wrote:
Front runners are a bias ply tire and shouldn't be ran with radial tires on the rear, it makes for some sketchy handling.
John

I know old post but I always hear people say not to mix bias and radial, why exactly ?
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrcade wrote:
TyeDyeBug wrote:
John

I know old post but I always hear people say not to mix bias and radial, why exactly ?

I don't know the particulars, but each type of tire has different handling characteristics that don't play well together (and can be downright dangerous) if you try to mix them on the same car. I started driving in the early/mid '70's and it's something that's always been said. This is one of the few things I've never really questioned. I believe each type reacts differently as the weight transfers from one sidewall to the other. Al
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: M&H Front Runner questions Reply with quote

The belts in the carcass of the tire are aligned in different patters, so as the tire rolls down the road, they distort in different directions, a radial distorts more side to side where as the bias ply bulges front to back so as you go down the road, you have one axle (very slightly) squiggling side to side and one end tracking straight, if you have matched tires at both ends you won't notice the different roll of the tires it is so slight. with a radial/bias mismatch, the car start to act like a trailer with not enough tongue weight and starts whipping the radial tire end of the vehicle. Radial tires also roll over more in corners.

I drove a car and trailer 1 mile with mismatched tires before I stopped and let the owner drive. Appearantly he had the right rhythm on the steering wheel to keep it straight but I just about went in the ditch. We got to the race in Calgary, unloaded the car and drove to a tire shop to get to radial scrubs put on. It was frightening to drive.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: