Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

electric fuel pump and regulator
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1972 Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: electric fuel pump and regulator Reply with quote

Looking for some advice when it comes to location of electric fuel pump and regulator. Fuel line comes in on the right side of the engine. Should I mount the pump and regulator to the back of the engine bay (fuel tank cover) or run the fuel line all the way to the left side of the engine bay where I can mount both of those away from the engine and then run the fuel line back to tee for dual carbs? New to buses but thinking mounting above engine isn't a good idea due to heat but running a fuel line all the way to the left side of the compartment and back doesn't sound too good either.

I know with bugs, you could mount both in the front by the tank but that isn't possible with buses. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: electric fuel pump and regulator Reply with quote

The fuel feed spigot from the tank is on the left, the fuel line from the right
rises up from the mechanical fuel pump mounted real low on the case,
just ahead of cylinder #1 (the one furthest forward on the right side).
Deleting the mechanical VW pump changes the routing alot.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: electric fuel pump and regulator Reply with quote

I have my pump mounted high to get it above the level of the tank and use steel tubing on the supply side of the pump. This way if I had an engine fire the fuel from the tank would hopefully quit flowing once the pump quit running and the rubber line between the pump and the carb burned off. I can also change the filter without having to crawl underneath and will loose very little fuel when doing so.

Most people here seem to freak at the idea of having a pump in the engine compartment, but I have not heard of a single verifiable problem because of that. You do want to use hose clamps on the hoses and I would avoid the little filters without swages to hold the hoses on.

You want to use either 30r14 or 30r9 fuel line as they can handle the alcohol in today's fuels. 30r6 and 30r7 fuel lines should not be used no matter what the poorly guy at the autoparts tells you.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A rotory pump may need to be mounted low, beneath the bottom of the tank, as they don't suck all that well.

Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: electric fuel pump and regulator Reply with quote

I have the fuel pump outside the engine bay and my regulator on the firewall.

Fuel pump mounted using these to help with the vibration

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: electric fuel pump and regulator Reply with quote

Terminatez wrote:

just as an FYI - the metal on a piece of pipe is only as thick as the valley where the threads are cut. We had a gauge sender about the size of your gauge break at the base that cost us an engine - looking at the big brass tee you have along with the gauge weight it concerns me. Ours was carrying oil and not fuel. Had it been fuel we would have lost the car. When I showed the failed parts to a friend who had been in racing for many years, thinking it was a once in a lifetime kind of failure, he informed me that he had seen that many times before. The weight of a gauge, sender etc., is too much for the threads and the pipe eventually breaks along a thread.
1972 Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: electric fuel pump and regulator Reply with quote

thanks everyone. I was thinking about mounting fuel pump below engine bay also. Lots to think about. I appreciate it!!
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: electric fuel pump and regulator Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Terminatez wrote:

just as an FYI - the metal on a piece of pipe is only as thick as the valley where the threads are cut. We had a gauge sender about the size of your gauge break at the base that cost us an engine - looking at the big brass tee you have along with the gauge weight it concerns me. Ours was carrying oil and not fuel. Had it been fuel we would have lost the car. When I showed the failed parts to a friend who had been in racing for many years, thinking it was a once in a lifetime kind of failure, he informed me that he had seen that many times before. The weight of a gauge, sender etc., is too much for the threads and the pipe eventually breaks along a thread.

I don't think I catch what you're saying.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying that the weight of the tee + gauge can eventually be too much for the small connection between the regulator and the tee and can snap?
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: electric fuel pump and regulator Reply with quote

Yes that is what SGKent is saying,both parts should the supported to take the weight off of the fitting.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: electric fuel pump and regulator Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up.

Going to see a way to support both so this doesn't happen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: