Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Byron's '63 Camper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

A 3m paint and rust stripper wheel followed by a wire wheel should get it pretty clean. That's what I did on my roof, I only have a had a couple small spots come back through, mostly where the paint was a little thin.

This was during the process:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A spot sand blaster setup can be put together pretty cheap at harbor freight if you decide to go that route. Spot blasting is ideal because you can really get the pits good and clean.
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
A 3m paint and rust stripper wheel followed by a wire wheel should get it pretty clean. That's what I did on my roof, I only have a had a couple small spots come back through, mostly where the paint was a little thin.

This was during the process:

A spot sand blaster setup can be put together pretty cheap at harbor freight if you decide to go that route.

Did you then do ospho or something like that? I don't want to do all this work if it's going to flash rust again the next day. i have no way to spray paint now so it will have to be brush on or rattle can. Thanks for all your help, pinetops!

byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Yes, I used a product that contains phosphoric acid. If you don't want to tackle that roof just yet with paint and the whole deal, it will be ok for a while. It is true that "rust never sleeps" but it's not going to get dramatically worse over the course of a few months. I would just plan on giving it some attention at some point. You could also just treat it with some phosphoric acid or naval jelly for now just to try to get the rust to convert and neutralize to some extent.
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

I know I'm getting waaaay ahead of myself but I couldn't help it; I had to see what's under all this paint and red primer. Some lacquer thinner and a little elbow grease and here we are:

I'm excited! Like having presents under the tree for the whole year; you know there's something good wrapped up under there but you can't look yet. Or maybe I could just clean off little spots as I get discouraged to keep the momentum going....

And isn't it great that all you need to move an old vw is a riding lawn mower? Here's her home for ever how long it takes.

Going to pick up my mig welder (CL find-a Hobart 140) tomorrow and next week I start learning how to weld (NOT on the bus). Have a great long weekend everyone.

byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Love the Christmas analogy. That gray looks strong. Enjoy the build and thanks for keeping us posted.
camhead39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

i have a camper like that fully restored.it is an alabama made for mongomery ward or colman mine has valances over the windows. and is a 1967. can send pix to your phone [send phone no.]
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

camhead39 wrote:
i have a camper like that fully restored.it is an alabama made for mongomery ward or colman mine has valances over the windows. and is a 1967. can send pix to your phone [send phone no.]

please post them to the gallery so everyone can enjoy! thanks for reading. byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

camhead39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

yes there are more to the awning framethose are the ends of the frame.the little brackets are for the vertical post.the canvas is also correct.
GERMANAIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Very Nice Find!! Some nice goodies in there to. That elbow grease will come in handy on that grey. Keep posting the progress on that paint removal I cant wait to see whats under there. Thanks for sharing, Peter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Spent some time at the rear end today. Went from this:

to this:

Took the pic while the engine cleaner was doing it's thing. Gunk and then the pressure washer before I put in on my engine stand-I hope that will help keep the shop somewhat clean. Cleaning up engines and greasy parts is fun but what a mess. I plan to rebuild the top end and do a good cleaning. I won't mess with the bottom unless something comes up. And I am stoked to see all the tins there; you all know how these things get hacked over the years. I got lucky finding this unmolested bus. Oh and always check that the heater cables are disconnected before you spend 5 minutes tugging on the motor trying to get it loose. I just assumed both cables would be rusted away; one was still there holding on for dear life. But this is only the third engine I've ever pulled so i'm still a novice; laugh away.

And I've spent some time on the rusty spots on the roof-very mild flapper disc and then some rust converter on the bad spots. I'll take some pics of that later. Thanks for reading.

byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Nice original bus pressure plate.
Headliner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Hi Byron,
Nice bus,
Grey color will look killer!
easy to dust in some color around the rust repair areas.
Keep up the awesome pics cant wait to see the progress
VW Logo
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Can someone tell me if this cylinder head is toast or not? And if not what can I do? Thanks!

1971 Baywindow Bus

Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

The guys in the engine/performance forum told me not to worry about it. ^^^ But I sent the heads to be machined and the guy is going to fix that along with the exhaust manifold studs that are broken off and I get new valve seats. So I'm waiting on those to get back.

In the meantime I've been busy cleaning cleaning cleaning:

A trip through my cheap Harbour Freight media cabinet (works great with my cheap HF compressor), then some rustoleum primer and semi-gloss black and I have a complete set of engine tins ready to go back in:

Got a rebuild kit coming for this but the membrane looks pretty good so I'll try to stay with that one since everyone complains about the new ones. I'll probably just use the gasket from the kit:

These were just toast.

Was looking to spend big bucks on new ones but I found a couple in my stash that were covered in a half inch of oily grime that was the perfect preservative. An entire Saturday afternoon spent scraping, cleaning, and priming later:

There wasn't one bit of rust on these; one even had og paint in places. Happy I found these; my wife was not impressed until I told her how much money I saved cleaning these up.

A fairly clean engine waiting for heads and new parts:

My carb cleaned up well. Rebuild kit on the way:

Same for the distributor-I think it turned out pretty good:

And then there was the day I got tired of cleaning parts and took off a little yellow paint and red primer:

I'll update in a couple of weeks or so. Thanks for watching!

Byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

I've made it to page 140 in the Wilson book! Installing the cooling tins and exhaust. And then I found this:

<loud scream>

Why did I remember to install one but not the other? I'm such an idiot. So let's take this side of the engine apart and put things right. Only took a half hour or so. I was able to get this far because i finally found the correct size piston rings: 83x2.5x2.5x4 :

And my loving wife got me this for an early Christmas gift:

One of my vw friends said "at least that won't rust" Proud of my oil stained thumb and first finger too. Happy Holidays samba community!

byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Gwdghiaguy wrote:
And then I found this:

<loud scream>

Sheesh what a drag. I found mine in the bottom of the parts cleaner tub after the engine was back in in the past.

I like to add this piece of monel wire to them so they don't rattle loose which they tend to do.

You just go up and over each bottom stud then twist the ends to tighten.
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

I like to add this piece of monel wire to them so they don't rattle loose which they tend to do.

You just go up and over each bottom stud then twist the ends to tighten.

NOW you tell me! Laughing That does look like a good idea; i'll try to remember that for my NEXT engine overhaul! thanks for reading!

byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Lacks eleven days being a year since my last post; oh well, you all know that life happens. My 77 Honda 550 has taken up some of that time; messing with my baywindow bus has used up a little and a ruptured Achilles tendon killed June, July, August and most of September. So now I am ready to get back on the camper!

The engine is still on the stand and I took the transaxle out last week to start clean up (this is after several hours of scraping and purple stuff):

I learned that years of grease and grime are the perfect protective coating when I got my baywindow. Should I take the reduction boxes apart and clean all their guts or just go with it?

And since I had everything out I started cleaning up the rear end (it helped that it was 72 and sunny today):

I should have done a before pic. It was pretty nasty. I will try to update things more often now that I have some time. Thanks for reading!
1971 Baywindow Bus

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

darn, also had 72 degrees, but i spent my day raking 2 acres worth of pinestraw and leaves

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Got an early Christmas gift today:

and it only took me three pages to find out what I've been doing wrong all these years:

I've been wearing the wrong clothes. who knew?
1971 Baywindow Bus

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: