Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1980 Gas Caddy wiring issues
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bhenry2192
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: 1980 Gas Caddy wiring issues Reply with quote

Hi there forum. I hope there is someone that can give me some guidance.

Back Story -

I bought a 1980 Caddy because I have always wanted one. I have had numerous VWs but the Caddy is too cool. The old man I bought from had owned in for 22 years but, at 85 years old, had not had it on the road in 3 years. He said his "body" guy said that $300 would have it looking perfect again. UH HUH!!! It needs pans and a few other little areas. Needless to say, I am already way higher than $300. It cranked but would not start. Turns out the gas was bad, the fuel pump was bad and the fuel filter was bad. All have been replaced. It runs ok but my mechanic thinks, in order to be a reliable driver, I should replace the distributor......

So, back to my question. I am trying to wire the tail lights. I have only the passenger tail light working. I took the working bulb and put into every socket (driver and passenger side) and nothing lights up anywhere else. I stripped the passenger side wires, made a new ground, hooked it back up....and....nope, just the tail light works again.

Question 1 - I can't "follow" the wires to see where they go. Where do they start?

#2 - Are there new "pigtails" that can be purchased or a work around?
#3 - I actually bought NOS light sockets but only my tail light has a 3 circuit, and these are 3 circuit but my other sockets are 2 circuit. How, if possible, can I make this work.

#4 - Where is the "cab to tail light" harness located?

I have hundreds of questions but will start with these. Thank you for reading and answering, if you can add value!!

Brian
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Gas Caddy wiring issues Reply with quote

I would purchase a good repair manual before you get too much more into it. But until that happens, try this.
http://chris.chemidl.in/vw-wiring-diagram-pdf-1982-1983-1984/
Bhenry2192
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Gas Caddy wiring issues Reply with quote

Thank you!

First, I do have a repair manual, and yes, it does provide wiring diagrams. Unfortunately, they might as well be written in Chinese.

I was hoping for a little more practical approach to figuring out where things start, finish and how it all should work.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Gas Caddy wiring issues Reply with quote

Bhenry2192 wrote:
Thank you!

First, I do have a repair manual, and yes, it does provide wiring diagrams. Unfortunately, they might as well be written in Chinese.

I was hoping for a little more practical approach to figuring out where things start, finish and how it all should work.

If you have a Bently Manual or one that has copies of those diagrams, that is not chinese, that is a current flow diagram and is relatively easy to read. They do not, however, show you were the wires run in the vehicle. But it does give you color coding and were those color coded wires go to.

And those mkI vehicles were notorious for leaking at the base of the windshield directly onto the fuse box. That would be the first place I'd look if you are having strange electrical issues.
Bhenry2192
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Gas Caddy wiring issues Reply with quote

Thank you. I have a Bentley. I guess I need to attempt to make sense of them
again. I will look at the fuse box too. Of all the things I can do, wiring is my least favorite to try.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Gas Caddy wiring issues Reply with quote

If you look at the diagram, the top is power and the line along the bottom is ground. The lines are labeled for their source of power and the verticals are color coded with loads and such on them. A lot of the time, the fuse panel will be indicated at the upper part of diagram.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: I w Reply with quote

Many people have issues with electrical systems but spending time understanding how the diagram works will get you where you are going. It's no harder than a road map.

As for sockets, go to your local parts store and you will you will find the electrical section, typically you will find something that works. The USA pickups sourced many of the parts locally [ie, US suppliers].

My pickup is gutted [no dash, carpet, headliner, etc]. PM me your phone/email address and I will send you some pictures.
G60ING
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: I w Reply with quote

Yes, learn to understand the wiring schematics. The numbers across the bottom are current track numbers. When a wire ends in a box with a number that means that it jumps to another page with that current track number.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: