Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Estimated worth of a 1971 super beetle?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grantimoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject: Estimated worth of a 1971 super beetle? Reply with quote

New to the VW world. What's a 1971 super beetle worth? Very clean condition 80k miles.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Estimated worth of a 1971 super beetle? Reply with quote

1- Depends on where you live
2- The "modifications" reduce it's value
3- Need more info on the common rust areas and running condition
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Estimated worth of a 1971 super beetle? Reply with quote

Not sure what state Everett you are located as there are many. Did you want us to give you an estimate based on the photos. 2500~3000 for starters. More info, test drive etc.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Estimated worth of a 1971 super beetle? Reply with quote

Here's what multiple '71 supers in various states of repair/disrepair are running for on the Samba.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...1971+Super

Your search results may vary.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sokyjeepster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Estimated worth of a 1971 super beetle? Reply with quote

Just as an idea...

Location: South Central KY (just south of Bowling Green KY, just north of Nashville TN)

I bought a '71 SB in Aug.2016. The body was pretty straight (a few dents and scuffs) and had a decent respray with the original color, it ran fairly poor, interior was in good condition, and it was completely rust free. It was original and mostly complete (missing rear bumper) without and mods. I paid $4,500

After a good tune up, a few adjustments and replacement parts, it is a daily driver.

At the end of the day, its worth what its worth to you or what someone is willing to pay. Was mine worth $4500? Will I get back what I have in it if I sell? I dunno, but I enjoy driving it and working on it so its worth it to me.

Hope this helps!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Estimated worth of a 1971 super beetle? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Here's what multiple '71 supers in various states of repair/disrepair are running for on the Samba.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...1971+Super

Your search results may vary.

I have a 1971 Super Convertible , I listed as $10K value with Hagerty insurance. This listing from the above link confounds me, been listed 2 months now, wonder what's fishy? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2102182
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Tom Butler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Estimated worth of a 1971 super beetle? Reply with quote

wouldnt pay more than 3 grand.

Its Lowballing season (Christmas season) Laughing

Proud Member Pata De Perro Vw Club

iowegian wrote:
Instead of converting your car to a different color, why not just buy one that is a color you like?
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Estimated worth of a 1971 super beetle? Reply with quote

Based on those photos it'd be really tough to give any kind of estimate. Outwardly it looks alright, but so did the bondo-buggy that I drove in the 80's... and that car was 50 percent popcans and bondo.

I'm somewhat concerned about the engine running without an air cleaner... how long has that been going on?

Looking at the "mods" that have been applied to the car makes me wonder what's there that we cannot see. Obviously someone's tinkered with it... but to what extent?

The price wherever you might be is further driven (right or wrong) by demand and selection. How many people are looking and what's available to buy.

So sure, the car looks alright to start with from the photos, but you'd really need to dig deep if you were serious to see what's behind the curtain! What you find, and all those other factors will really dictate the price.

Then only you will know if it's worth it to you!

CWAVE
914turboford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Estimated worth of a 1971 super beetle? Reply with quote

I say $4000 assuming it is running well and there is no major rust.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Estimated worth of a 1971 super beetle? Reply with quote

Sheesh, are those sheet metal screws holding that rear air thing on?

If so, I would hesitate on that super. Sheet metal screws are the easy, lazy way out. Consider that's:

#1 Not how that's suppose to be done
#2 probably done in a flurry/hurry of work
#3 introducing new holes to the body (probably un protected from rust/water intrusion)
#4 Shows a lot about the 'type' of work the previous owners have performed (half-effort) So I would really wonder about what's underneath as far as 'improvements' or 'maintenance' work goes and the possible low quality of said work

Just my 2 cents

Edit: plus those holes are realllly close to that dreaded 'death foam' too. that's a notorious rust out area anyways
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Estimated worth of a 1971 super beetle? Reply with quote

Everett, TX: $2000- easy to find car in better condition
Everett, WA: $2500- hidden rust and petuli(sp) oil smell to abate
Everett, MS: $3000- it's been underwater at least 4 times
Everett, MA: $3800- cause there is more paint than rust- no hippie oil
Everett, OH: $4000- but you can't drive it because that isn't orange paint- it's rusty white paint holding the rest of the car together.

Those are the only ones I know- please make corrections/additions as needed.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Estimated worth of a 1971 super beetle? Reply with quote

First off, no air cleaner? That's scary. Secondly, the oil-filler is missing a hose for blow-by (the hose is supposed to fit to the air cleaner). Next, the Shepherd's crook is not doing anything for the distributor diaphragm. The distributor seems to be out a bit (no big deal). The missing air cleaner is the big deal. Then, you have an svda knock-off distributor, coupled with an H30/31 carburetor (not a good combination).

The body looks pretty good from the photos, but a thorough inspection will tell the tale.

That air sucker-upper over the rear engine vents definitely has to go. It rains back there in Kentucky, right? You don't need a rain gutter for your primary air intake.

The rear fenders appear to be custom, so the car has lost some of it's stock appeal. Some people like the look, howeve

But all in all, the car looks pretty good. I'd ask the seller why there's no air cleaner, though--and how long has that been going on.

$3500. Maybe $4500 if not rusty in the pans and heater channels--since its back east where it rains and snows.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: