Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New engine build by ladies
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joannekay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

If I’m not mistaken your #4 rod is upside down. Hopefully this was corrected before assembly.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Joannekay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Yes..fixed b4 case closed..thank u..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, what all did you do? What size was it originally? Did you rebuild it to factory or increase displacement? Did you rebuild the heads or just clean them up and put them back on? In the circled area it appears you are missing the plate that belongs there. Helps cool the heads. I also don't believe you're supposed to use sealant between the jugs and the case. What condition was the case? Were the align bore or thrust out of spec?

Also, looks like the crankshaft pulley may be smaller and result in the fan turning slower and increase temperatures. Did you rebuild any of the components or just buy new? Looks like you put an aftermarker SVDA on, what are your plans for carburation? Some of the OG carbs don't play well with the SVDA as the vac signal is incorrect. You may be better off cleaning up the OG distributor and carb and using those. Check the fuel pressure on that fuel pump. A lot of the aftermarket ones put out too much pressure. Again, you may have been better off cleaning up and using the old one instead of spending money on new. More information on what all you did would be great if you're looking for input. If you're not we can all bugger off.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Most of the women mechanics I’ve worked with over the years have done better than the men. They take time double check and are detail oriented, especially in metal working or that which requires a good eye.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Most of the women mechanics I’ve worked with over the years have done better than the men. They take time double check and are detail oriented, especially in metal working or that which requires a good eye.

I don't doubt it at all. I'm impressed that they tackled this as I'm still looking at my stack of parts trying to get the courage to jump in.
Joannekay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Thanks guys 4 comments.
We bought all new parts.same size case.1600 standard..happy 4 comments.
Joannekay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

The extra fin on heads was in the way of thermostat rod..we filled it for 5 hours careful not to bend rod..heads new ..bad aftermarket..
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Joannekay wrote:
Thanks guys 4 comments.
We bought all new parts.same size case.1600 standard..happy 4 comments.

Seriously, you may have been better off rebuilding components and saving the cash. May be worth your time to muddle through the rest of my comments and check some things.

Here's a good article and diagram of all the tin that you should have:

http://www.vw-resource.com/engine_tin.html
Joannekay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Joannekay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Sharp I’m not sure what u are saying..we decided 2 purchase all new & build..hard 2 check if crankshaft is balanced..case had small cracks..heads had done there time..thank u 4 comments but I don’t find them helpful .
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

bugger off it is then. Good luck.
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Nice work going on in your shop. Please keep an eye on that new style thermostat, I've heard and read they can be sketchy at best. Keep the pic's coming
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

lovethatconvertible wrote:
Nice work going on in your shop. Please keep an eye on that new style thermostat, I've heard and read they can be sketchy at best. Keep the pic's coming

new style wax thermostats are known to fail with flaps closed. original types fail with flapsnopen. which do you want??? the new types only have to fail once to ruin the motor. source a good used orignal type.

see link below on safety wires and engine fires.

good luck, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

As mentioned Looks nice and clean assembly...Do source out a stock thermostat.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Joannekay wrote:
Sharp I’m not sure what u are saying..we decided 2 purchase all new & build..hard 2 check if crankshaft is balanced..case had small cracks..heads had done there time..thank u 4 comments but I don’t find them helpful .

I think he was trying to say it’s standard operating procedure to measure the parts for tolerance and wear, that and a little non destructive testing will tell you if parts are serviceable.

This may be hard to do if you don’t have the measuring equipment and experience and know what to look for. This is where a machine shop comes in.
The crank may have just needed polishing and they don’t go out of balance with use. They are either balanced or within spec from the seller, or maybe not it’s up to you to check. In fact it only gets slight mention but it’s a great idea to take all the rotating parts in for balance prior to assembly, you can exceed factory specs for a really smooth long lasting engine with a little effort here.

Looking at your pic make real sure that tarboard is secure, it would be a real shame to suck that into the fan and cook a new engine. Have fun and congrats on tackling that project. Few here know the feeling of DIY. Very Happy
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

I'm pretty impressed.

Looks like you stayed with non-doghouse, and used the Brosol Solex 30/31 PICT carb. I use that carb on my 1600cc engine, and have been OK with it.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I'm pretty impressed.

Looks like you stayed with non-doghouse, and used the Brosol Solex 30/31 PICT carb. I use that carb on my 1600cc engine, and have been OK with it.

But what distributor are you running it with?
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Looks like you're doing a great job! Keep the pics coming

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Good stuff. I'm always trying to get my wife involved.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 29

Jump to: