Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Floor Plan Options
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjzwissler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Floor Plan Options Reply with quote

I'm preparing to replace floor pans in my 71 Ghia. Done some searching, watched the My Friend Pete videos... doesn't look too bad. (I have British cars so have done lots of rust repair).

I see the IAP pans at RockAuto for a good price but can't find much info on them. Anybody have good/bad experience with them?

Thanks, Ben....
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Plan Options Reply with quote

What gauge are they? You want pans that are at least as heavy as stock. Thin pans can make for wobbly seats.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
bjzwissler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Plan Options Reply with quote

I haven't found any info on the sheet metal gauge. Will try to call IAP this week. They don't list any mfr for them so I'm assuming they have their own supplier.
smuenchrath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Plan Options Reply with quote

My understanding is that all Ghia Floor Pans are made by one company (JP Group out of Denmark). They may be labelled with Dansk or Klokkerholm, but ultimately came from the same source.

Gauge seems to be around 18 or 19. Fitment is ok - some trimming is required. You will need to weld on new seat rails, seatbelt anchor points, brake stop bolt, floor mat pegs. I did mine a few years ago and haven't noticed anything new come into the market.

Klassicfab used to make a very good reproduction pan, very accurate, heavy gauge but as i understand it they stopped producing them a few years a go due to demand.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630289
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Plan Options Reply with quote

smuenchrath wrote:
My understanding is that all Ghia Floor Pans are made by one company (JP Group out of Denmark). They may be labelled with Dansk or Klokkerholm, but ultimately came from the same source.

Gauge seems to be around 18 or 19. Fitment is ok - some trimming is required. You will need to weld on new seat rails, seatbelt anchor points, brake stop bolt, floor mat pegs. I did mine a few years ago and haven't noticed anything new come into the market.

Klassicfab used to make a very good reproduction pan, very accurate, heavy gauge but as i understand it they stopped producing them a few years a go due to demand.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630289

I agree with this. It has been my finding also.

Shop around shipping varied greatly.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Plan Options Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:

I just went to Rockauto.com . . . put 2 Ghia floor pans in the cart . . . the shipping is $10.99 . . . . unless I select "Two-Day" shipping for $36.99!!!!!!! Shocked
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Plan Options Reply with quote

If you can, measure the thickness of the pans when you get them. I am sure many will appreciate the information.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Plan Options Reply with quote

BIGMIKEY wrote:
If you can, measure the thickness of the pans when you get them. I am sure many will appreciate the information.

Mike T

If you are asking me . . . sorry . . . I put them into the cart for the sole purpose of discovering the shipping cost . . . I was surprised!
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Plan Options Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
CiderGuy wrote:

I just went to Rockauto.com . . . put 2 Ghia floor pans in the cart . . . the shipping is $10.99 . . . . unless I select "Two-Day" shipping for $36.99!!!!!!! Shocked

If that's true I just go with those. Very good shipping price.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything

Last edited by CiderGuy on Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total
bjzwissler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Plan Options Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments. If they are all the same then RockAuto has the best deal, though CIP1.com isn't far behind at $440 for a pair with free shipping. RockAuto is $373 with the 5% discount and their surprisingly cheap shipping.

Ben....
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Plan Options Reply with quote

I have buying my brake parts from Rockauto.com for a while now, but until you started this thread, I was unaware that they sold floor pans . . . so, thank you Ben! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: