Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I want studs on my Drum not lug bolts
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferris_bueller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: I want studs on my Drum not lug bolts Reply with quote

So my 62' VW Baja bug is kicking butt and taking names.......... except for a slight problem with the front passenger drum. It currently only has 3 of the 5 lug bolts on it because 2 of the holes in the drum are stripped. I was wondering if there is an easy solution for just drilling out those holes and adding studs on them so I wouldn't have to worry about lug bolts anymore or if I just have to replace the whole drum (hopefully not because I am a broke college kid now).
Any information is use full you guys (and girls) are the best!!!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: I want studs on my Drum not lug bolts Reply with quote

Do yourself a big favor replace the drum(s) a matched set for the front. Keep the old good one for a spare.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: I want studs on my Drum not lug bolts Reply with quote

Stripped is stripped, studs will not cure the problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: I want studs on my Drum not lug bolts Reply with quote

The answer is to use press in studs. Ream the holes to the correct size for the stud you are using and press them in. Depending on what drums you have, you may need to spot face the back side of the drum so the stud heads don't hit your brake parts.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: I want studs on my Drum not lug bolts Reply with quote

Not 100% sure but I believe the early drums require the backside to be milled flat at each hole so the press in stud will sit flat (90* to the drum face), and or to clear the brake hardware, that is after the five holes have been drilled/reamed to the correct ID for the press in stud.

Unless he is a broke college kid with a mill then at least replacing that one drum is a better deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: I want studs on my Drum not lug bolts Reply with quote

Take the drum to a machine shop, see if (1) it can be saved and/or (2) if it's worth saving.

gt1953 wrote:
Do yourself a big favor replace the drum(s) a matched set for the front. Keep the old good one for a spare.

This is really the best solution, and a good time to replace the brake shoes and maybe get new front wheel bearings while you have those drums off.
Notice the bold.

Also check those flexible brake lines !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I want studs on my Drum not lug bolts Reply with quote

The rear wheels on my dune buggy were using the stock lugnuts and aftermarket wheels. I had one on each drum strip so I grabbed a set of studs and was able to get them to hold. It’s worth a try.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: I want studs on my Drum not lug bolts Reply with quote

ferris_bueller wrote:
So my 62' VW Baja bug is kicking butt and taking names.......... except for a slight problem with the front passenger drum. It currently only has 3 of the 5 lug bolts on it because 2 of the holes in the drum are stripped. I was wondering if there is an easy solution for just drilling out those holes and adding studs on them so I wouldn't have to worry about lug bolts anymore or if I just have to replace the whole drum (hopefully not because I am a broke college kid now).
Any information is use full you guys (and girls) are the best!!!

I have a couple sets of rear drums avail.

one set with press in studs and another set with 14mm threads (larger lug bolt)

not sure what I have left for fronts...

PM ME
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I want studs on my Drum not lug bolts Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Not 100% sure but I believe the early drums require the backside to be milled flat at each hole so the press in stud will sit flat (90* to the drum face), and or to clear the brake hardware, that is after the five holes have been drilled/reamed to the correct ID for the press in stud.

Unless he is a broke college kid with a mill then at least replacing that one drum is a better deal.

People make stuff harder than it needs to be.
go to sway away and order two studs and two ball seat nuts.
drill a hole, make it flat, ream, press in to studs, repeat, move on with life.
https://swayaway.com/product/stud-14mm-x-1-5-48mm-long-starter-lead/
https://swayaway.com/product/lug-nut-14mm-x-1-5/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Or use Honda 12mm stud:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Honda 12mm stud fix for stripped drum lug hole
Quote:
From onetofixit
Drilled out stripped drum thread with 29/64" bit. Had to wobble the bit to get the hole large enough. Very tight!

Grind a slight amount ~1/32" off the head of the Honda 12mm stud to allow marginal clearance with the brake shoes.

Easy, inexpensive fix that turns out stronger than stock!

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: I want studs on my Drum not lug bolts Reply with quote

You could tap the stripped holes to 14mm and use bus/late bug lug bolts. Pretty simple, really.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I want studs on my Drum not lug bolts Reply with quote

No problem installing Lugs into drums. I did this on a front drum and balanced the drum, I then use the drum to balance wide five wheels.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: