Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I GOT MY BUS! How do I remove it with out incident?( plz poll)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Restoration cost?
0-$5,000
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
$5,000-$10,000
9%
 9%  [ 7 ]
$10,000+
89%
 89%  [ 68 ]
Total Votes : 76

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: I GOT MY BUS! How do I remove it with out incident?( plz poll) Reply with quote

Not sure how much background you have on buses, but that's a pretty valuable bus there potentially and its value lies in originality of the camping kit, it completeness, it's condition and originality meaning have the seats been recovered, the panels stained or painted, etc.
My advice would be to post pictures and ask questions before you do anything you might regret.
For example, the paint, if it is the original paint most guys would kill for that and would buff it out and blend in any repairs.
So, post up some pictures, Che k to see if the tent, cot and cooler are In there and if not ask gramps about them.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I GOT MY BUS! How do I remove it with out incident?( plz poll) Reply with quote

Get the tires aired up, trailer it home, not tow dolly.

Get it put up where it is out of the elements to stop any further rust issues. Don't sell it or trade it for something running that's not as cool. Campers are hard to come by these days especially if its complete.

Everything can be fixed with enough time and money, but the part people forget is the patience involved. Most people lose interest or want something now. Don't succumb to this, resist the urge to make a quick buck or trade it for a running bay window. you will never replace it for what you get in return. The PM's you have probably received will let you know just because you have cash doesn't mean you can find what you want.

Work on it when you can and eventually it will get done who cares if it takes ten years to finish, you will still be young enough to enjoy it.

Was your grandfather the original buyer of the bus, if so that's really cool and you can never get back the family history ignore the temptation to sell this bus ever.

Awesome gift from him though!

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I GOT MY BUS! How do I remove it with out incident?( plz poll) Reply with quote

Its worth nothing compared to the worth of the next 6-7 years of your life training yourself to have a career. Find a relative to keep it dry, get the foundations of your life dug and the basement walls poured, start building your life on top of that, and come back to it in 10 years.You can do cheap things and enjoy it, but you aren't in a position to be spending money right now.

10k spent on Bus parts at age 20 will cost you 100,000s in retirement. By the time you get there, the social net will be gone and you will be on your own. Thats where that 1/4 paycheck has to go.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: I GOT MY BUS! How do I remove it with out incident?( plz poll) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Its worth nothing compared to the worth of the next 6-7 years of your life training yourself to have a career. Find a relative to keep it dry, get the foundations of your life dug and the basement walls poured, start building your life on top of that, and come back to it in 10 years.You can do cheap things and enjoy it, but you aren't in a position to be spending money right now.

10k spent on Bus parts at age 20 will cost you 100,000s in retirement. By the time you get there, the social net will be gone and you will be on your own. Thats where that 1/4 paycheck has to go.

That's a lot of money to spend. There's no guarantee you will get it back. Classic car prices can flip at a moments notice. Take that 1/4th money and put it into a 401k or Roth. Unless you enjoy the restore part only, spend a few dollars getting the bus running and drive it without a full restore.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: I GOT MY BUS! How do I remove it with out incident?( plz poll) Reply with quote

If you're not already, consider getting in touch with/becoming a member of the Michigan Vintage Volkswagen Club. Great people and resource. Hello from a fellow Michigan bus driver!

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I GOT MY BUS! How do I remove it with out incident?( plz poll) Reply with quote

don't paint it..please
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I GOT MY BUS! How do I remove it with out incident?( plz poll) Reply with quote

aguythatisthis wrote:
hazetguy wrote:
so you asked how to move it, and then the poll is how much it will cost to restore? Rolling Eyes
hahahahaha, $0-$5000, it's not 30 years ago!

i bet this shows up in the classifieds within 6 months, after 'restoration cost sticker shock' sets in.

If I was not able to do body work myself maybe. But this is not a one day project for sure. I work at a C.A.D. engineering corp. as a designer, the plan is 1/4th of my check goes to restoration.

As others have said, don't systematically drop that 1/4 paycheck on this project - put your money in a lame boring retirement fund. It's easy to get excited and go crazy buying parts - been there done that. Tackle one thing at a time, spend a few hundred bucks every so often on parts, and then learn on installing those parts. Repeat as necessary.

Don't buy new tires/rims first. See if a local tire shop will sell/give you some worn out tires or watch Craigslist. Swap them out with a harbor freight tire mounter tool - that will save dough and get your project rolling. Buy new tires before you g on your first test drive.

Also, keeping things "stock" will save some money and be helpful as you learn since you can easily reference the Bentley Book (which should be your first purchase).

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I GOT MY BUS! How do I remove it with out incident?( plz poll) Reply with quote

to remove the bus, jack it up and put good tires on. or fill those with air and jack the bus out of the hole.

This is where you jack the bus up:
front:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The big tube ^^^^ is where you put a rope to pull the bus onto a trailer.
Do not pull by the front bumper unless you want to bend it up and buy a replacement.

back:

or here:

odds are your drums are rusted stuck, especially if the parking brake was left on, so do a search for stuck drum threads. Wink

Show us pics of the camper kit!!

cool find, have fun! Welcome to the samba!
CR23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: I GOT MY BUS! How do I remove it with out incident?( plz poll) Reply with quote

Don't let that bus go, you'll regret it when you can't find another one. I just turned 20 and bought my bus a year and a half ago when I was 18 as well. In just that amount of time it has a brand new motor, tranny, brake system and interior. That's all from waiting tables on weekends and selling VW parts. Get It home focus on running gear and enjoy it as you further the restoration

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8116483&highlight=#8116483
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I GOT MY BUS! How do I remove it with out incident?( plz poll) Reply with quote

Quote:
For example, the paint, if it is the original paint most guys would kill for that and would buff it out and blend in any repairs.

Thats the problem, they will kill for it, but they don't have any money for it.

Dont paint it, just preserve until the project fits your life.

In about 2 weeks, anyone on a W2 income is about to receive the beatdown of a lifetime, so you need to think future so you don't end up selling your Bus to eat.

Quote:
Take that 1/4th money and put it into a 401k or Roth.

The person who said this loves you.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: I GOT MY BUS! How do I remove it with out incident?( plz poll) Reply with quote

A velvet green SO42, that's a great model.

I would get it in dry storage and slowly work on it over the next 5 or 10 years. The advice to focus on your future and start investing money now is great. Just spend your extra time and a little money here and there getting the body right on this bus. Can you post pics of the floors and frame?

If you just have to have a bus now you could get it rolling and cleaned up and probably trade it outright for a decent running bay camper.
brad2thabone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: I GOT MY BUS! How do I remove it with out incident?( plz poll) Reply with quote

I know this bus all too well. It’s pretty crusty, the rear hatch has some of the worst hatch rust I’ve ever seen. Interior needs help too, it’s going to be a fairly expensive one to restore. There is also some goofy things going on with the steering. It’s a great bus, just needs everything! I’ve spent many hours talking with your Grandfather about the bus. He’s been everywhere in it, been through explosions (long story). Good luck with it, I could never get him to part with it even with very good offers. He was still attached to it, makes sense he would hand it down.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6992647&highlight=#6992647
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aguythatisthis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I GOT MY BUS! How do I remove it with out incident?( plz poll) Reply with quote

brad2thabone wrote:
I know this bus all too well. It’s pretty crusty, the rear hatch has some of the worst hatch rust I’ve ever seen. Interior needs help too, it’s going to be a fairly expensive one to restore. There is also some goofy things going on with the steering. It’s a great bus, just needs everything! I’ve spent many hours talking with your Grandfather about the bus. He’s been everywhere in it, been through explosions (long story). Good luck with it, I could never get him to part with it even with very good offers. He was still attached to it, makes sense he would hand it down.

He has told stories about the explosion, the worst part is the lower engine hood. The rear door is not as bad as you are making it out to be. Please please share stories of where he has been in it! I’d love to hear!
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: I GOT MY BUS! How do I remove it with out incident?( plz poll) Reply with quote

If the Westy interior is complete and nice condition please don't change anything. The value is in the westy parts.

You could cleanup get driving and flip it for a profit and buy a plain jane bus and convert it to camper of your liking. Laughing

Looks like a Nice starting point for sure.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: I GOT MY BUS! How do I remove it with out incident?( plz poll) Reply with quote

Trust me on this.

If you flip Grandfathers Bus you will regret it for decades of your life.

Poll the family and find a place you can store it free, keep it dry, and let it come back to you after you get your career set, late 20s or so. Drive it in the meantime for pleasure and preservation.
60freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: I GOT MY BUS! How do I remove it with out incident?( plz poll) Reply with quote

I'm just waiting to see what it's like underneath. I think a lot of you guys are forgetting this is in the Midwest sitting/sunk in the ground for years. Most buses like this one usually fall apart structurally, even if they look "good" from the outside. And with the knowledge of funky rust issues, I'd be very concerned and not getting my hopes up on saving it just yet until a thorough inspection is done on it by a knowledgeable bus person experienced with rust repair. Just my .02.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: I GOT MY BUS! How do I remove it with out incident?( plz poll) Reply with quote

If you have a place to work on the bus then I say go for it. Pay someone to fix the big things yourself and learn how to do the smaller stuff on your own. Get it structurally solid, get it braking, get it running. Drive it around the country, hell drive it around the world. Life isn't always going to be awesome like it is when you are in your 20s. Your bus could be your home on the road while you figure out the path you want to take in YOUR life. One day you can tell your kids or your grandkids about that year or two or three or whatever you spent seeing this amazing country and meeting some really cool people along the way. One day you might pass that bus down to your grandson.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aguythatisthis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: I GOT MY BUS! How do I remove it with out incident?( plz poll) Reply with quote

My aunt found photos of my grandfather in a clown costume (he was a clown for hire) and his other bus. My grandfather had 4 or 5 busses at the peak according to my aunt but my mom says 7 busses. My Grandmother says 13.

Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: I GOT MY BUS! How do I remove it with out incident?( plz poll) Reply with quote

I love it!
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: I GOT MY BUS! How do I remove it with out incident?( plz poll) Reply with quote

I agree with a couple of others on this. I wouldn’t remove, change or paint anything on this bus. Simply go thru the mechanicals and clean it out as best as possible. This is great score!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: