Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can Anyone ID This Mystery Fiberglass Truck kit ? -See Pics-
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

butch27 wrote:
Damn; I thought I'd seen EVERY kit but that one has me stumped! It is cool though.Get It!

Yeah, I'm still looking for clues as to what it is or who made it... and still working on getting it. Gonna have to bolt a beam on the front since all I have is a tow bar and suv. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72lowridebuggy
Mr. Ryan Coke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although similar...I do not think it is a minor. Your front fenders flatten into the door surface. The minor door humps out to extend the line of the fender back.

my $0.02

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i217/72lowridebuggy/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull The body off that POS chassis load it up in the suv and call it a day. It doesn't look like it uses the VW pans anyway from the pictures.!

I've thought about doing something along those lines with one of the various fiberglass hotrod bodies and just modifying the fire wall and body area to fit a bug chassis.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
247vws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

risk wrote:
Here are some pics. It looks like it's made for a vw pan.... shifter, pedals and steering column all look like they fit.

I don't think it's made for VW pan.
Look at all the bracketry under it with holes where they are rigging it up.
Also why would you need vent holes in the nose??? To let water in on the wiring.
This looks like someones sick aborted pile of parts.
No kit in the Dune Buggy Archives records like this one.
Interesting idea though.
Drag it home and get more pics.
It looks like fun.

John
1966 VW Beetle "Rose"
1974 VW Beetle "SunBug"

The best FORUM for dune buggy information worldwide is.... www.dunebuggyarchives.com
http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/forum/forum_show.pl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still looking to id this? anyone??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lazybonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well heres my 2 cents
Try looking for the vin# from the pan if its a vw it will be on the tunnel
then you will know for sure it on a vw pan.
by looking at the pictures it looks cool but for me its a few days to old
Smile Thats more then a project.

http://s475.photobucket.com/albums/rr118/LongIslandManx/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at the pictures. There's no question it's on a VW pan. It's very obviously a type 1 VW Frame head, torsion bar rear suspension, obvious VW shifter and tunnel. The question is, was the body actually made to be on a VW, or something else. Smile

Looking at the under hood picture, it sure looks like the fire wall was molded to fit over the front cross member of a VW. lots of kit cars were up to the builder how they fastened the rest of the body together. Have you ever seen two kit cars exactly alike? that also looks like a super beetle windshield

That would already be flat black primered and rollin on a fresh chassis if I knew where it was Wink
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
247vws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote:
look at the pictures......it sure looks like the fire wall was molded to fit over the front cross member of a VW...

......That would already be flat black primered and rollin on a fresh chassis if I knew where it was Wink

I don't think it was ever meant for a VW for 3 reasons....

1. I get the idea from looking at the first and second picture that there is a couple of large pieces of rubber matt type material fastened to the fiberglass body cab, and bolted to the tunnel hump where the VW body would be sitting on.

2. Also the rear view has a squared hole above the tunnel instead of it being shaped like a tunnel on the pan.

3. the vent holes in the hood for a front radiator.

I DO think that you are right though, that this thing should be in a garage somewhere getting built! If the original poster isn't in, he should let someone else swoop it up!!!
John
1966 VW Beetle "Rose"
1974 VW Beetle "SunBug"

The best FORUM for dune buggy information worldwide is.... www.dunebuggyarchives.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course a broom and better pictures would help, but that hole offset on the top of the hood sure looks like it would line up with a fuel fill location for an early Beetle tank. The radiator inlets? Gotta keep up the illusion. I'm still seeing a molded in flange going over the front cross member, though that could have been meant for bolting in a fiberglass transmission tunnel. One of my buggy bodies doesn't line up with a VW pan worth a crap except for at the front cross member. The square tunnel exit, nothing special there to be honest. I've come across many kit cars that were made for a VW chassis or a custom chassis. Poor builds by previous owners can account for a lot if strange things in a neglected kit, but I agree it probably wasn't made exclusively for a VW.
Machette Speedster
247vws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where is it so one of us can go get it!!

John
1966 VW Beetle "Rose"
1974 VW Beetle "SunBug"

risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

247vws wrote:
So where is it so one of us can go get it!!

John

Can't tell you that, but it may be up for sale soon since so many have an interest in wanting it without even knowing what it is or what its worth... Rolling Eyes

Theres lots of shit in the way too... it's gonna take at least a full day of work moving stuff and getting it in a good spot without messing it up too bad.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever happened to this truck kit?

Did you ever get it out and find out what it was?

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still haven't drug it out.. but i plan to this winter when the snakes and bugs are gone. still haven't found out what it is.... anyone?
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of kit cars, both VW-based and based on other vehicles, but this is new to me. Definitely a Super Beetle windshield, and it's close to but not the same as a Minor. Where the Minor looks like a Morris Minor, this looks like a smaller version of a late-50s International Harvester pickup. This would be cool restored to a hot-rod truck look on a VW pan, although I would build it to look like a shrunken International pickup, on a VW pan, of course.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Can Anyone ID This Mystery Fiberglass Truck kit ? -See Pics- Reply with quote

Laughing *

Last edited by risk on Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
nelson845
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Can Anyone ID This Mystery Fiberglass Truck kit ? -See Pics- Reply with quote

8 years..... Very Happy
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Can Anyone ID This Mystery Fiberglass Truck kit ? -See Pics- Reply with quote

Late in 1975, when I became interested in buying what has since been my Mini-Camaro, the original owner show'd me the catalogue he bought its fiberglass shell out of. There were several other body styles available (or, maybe plan'd), including a Mini '57 Chevy, a Mini Van, and a Mini '55 T-bird. There very well may have been a Mini Pickup Truck too. If so, your very unusual find might have one of their business cards glass'd in where I found such on my Mini-Camaro. It's been a long time since I last saw it, and I've done a lot of remodeling in that area; but it seems to me, the card was in the top part of the front right fender, back toward windshield. You'll probably need to sand off some of the paint, dirt, milldew, etc. Then, with bright sunlight shining thru from above, get down under and look for a business size card saying something like...

- KAR Mfg.
Monson, Mass
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Can Anyone ID This Mystery Fiberglass Truck kit ? -See Pics- Reply with quote

I'd drag that home even though my wife would probably make me sleep in it. Shocked
aquavette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Can Anyone ID This Mystery Fiberglass Truck kit ? -See Pics- Reply with quote

Settlement Rd.
Just NW of Maumelle, AR.
(Which is just NW of Little Rock.)

Has anyone drug it out yet???
Mopar2u426
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Can Anyone ID This Mystery Fiberglass Truck kit ? -See Pics- Reply with quote

Get That Sucka and make it right!! Dont skimp on stuff...My truck/car..is going through its first phases of glass work and sanding... Shocked
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: