Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

I fabbed up a bigger opening/area for my dual reservoir on my '64 bug. It's recessed because I didn't want the reservoir to protrude when installed. Also, the metal strap needs to be longer. If you go this route, make sure you don't have the new housing hit the gas tank.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hope this helps.
notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
bnam wrote:
jimdubs wrote:
Here's another pic that should help

Thanks!!

Thats exactly what I did on the 63 that we converted. Don't forget that you need a MUCH longer retaining strap. Was glad I remembered that before we painted the car..

Does anyone have dimensions for the hole? or be willing to lay a square of paper on it & trace it, mail it or scan it/email and let me have it?

Afetr a great deal of pain my front clip is ready to install, I would LOVE no to have to cut the hole more than once.

let me know if anyone is willing to help.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

Branston,
I just reinstalled the tank on my conversion. I stuck masking tape in that area and marked out the shape, eyeballing it and comparing the relative dimensions vs. the opening already on the car. Then cut it out. Tweaked it as needed. But, it came out pretty close on first cut.

If I happened to need to pull off the tank, I'll try to take some measurements.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

Stupid question...what was done on a 67 from factory? I ran through some pics I had of a 67 I did quite a few years ago and it doesnt look like there was a recess, but the angle and detail of my pics aren't real helpful...
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

Stupid question...what was done on a 67 from factory? I ran through some pics I had of a 67 I did quite a few years ago and it doesnt look like there was a recess, but the angle and detail of my pics aren't real helpful... Or is the entire recess just deeper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

No recess. The larger reservoir protruded out a bit further and was retained by a longer strap.

But, the setup also used (NLA) adapter hoses that was 6mm on one end and 8mm on the other to match the 6mm outlet on the reservoir to the 8mm inputs on the MC.

I followed a tip on the samba and cut the ends off the cheap plastic fuel filters to act as adaptors.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Stupid question...what was done on a 67 from factory? I ran through some pics I had of a 67 I did quite a few years ago and it doesnt look like there was a recess, but the angle and detail of my pics aren't real helpful...

looks like your answer (and mine) is here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2141889

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/7765330.jpg
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

This was interesting, but I have already done this on a 63 quite a while ago that I am wrapping up...Was curious if how much it protruded was "how they were" or not. I opened up the hose cut outs and made a longer strap. But I do like the recess idea.... However I would not do it unless I needed to do some serious work in that area for another reason. Its all hidden behind the spare anyway....
Mielke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

EMPIImp69 wrote:
Or just get rid of it altogether

That’s what I did on my 66! Hassle free going on 12 years now. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

On my 1965 right hand drive deluxe we used this bracket from CSP products in Germany:

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/wheels-brakes/bracket-...1522185383

Their description: "This stainless steel reservoir bracket mounts easily to two of the fender mounting bolts on the inside of the left front side panel. It is a ideal fitting solution for any pre 67 beetle where a dual master cylinder."

When I bought the bracket, I translated the PDF of the German data sheet on their site into English, it says:

"Holder for brake fluid tank
809 021 111
If a beetle is converted to a 2-circuit main brake cylinder before 1967, the brake fluid tank must necessarily be replaced. Since this is possible without welding work, we offer a special holder, which is screwed to the inside of the front left side part. The position is thus identical to that of the successor model 1968. For assembly, two wing screws are exchanged longer and the holder is fastened to the inner side of the side part. Can be used with an original brake fluid tank from 1968 or with our order no. 611 301 113L"

I also bought the CSP kit for a RHD car: https://www.vwheritage.com/113698700-dual-circuit-...e-vw-spare

Although the kit above is not listed on CSP's main site, you can make your own LHD kit up from the parts on there as well, or no doubt cheaper if you hunt about for the various different components elsewhere. The bracket sold separately is the neat thing.

The OEM Master Cylinder (made in Italy) supplied by CSP had on the box label that it was for a Golf/Jetta (Rabbit in the North American market), with another label on it saying suitable for a Type 1. It fitted fine, the project is ongoing so the Beetle is not on the road yet. However, the problem with the kit at the moment is the push fit fluid elbows that go into the open grommets/seals in the Master Cylinder are very slowly but persistently weeping brake fluid. We are going to try different grommets and elbows.

We didn't use all the flexible hose they supplied, instead running hard metal brake lines for the most part, and then using the flexible hose at the ends. Two small discreet holes were drilled for the metal lines to take a tidy and direct route to the cylinder. However, you could probably sneak them under the fuel tank with some persuasion without drilling, but the routing of the lines would not be as tidy.

I have kept the old single circuit reservoir in place for originality, so if I ever sell the car I will have to put a "do not use" sticker on it or something!
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beeniebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

I recently bought a '67 which needed a master cylinder, among other things. Since I was in the neighborhood, I figured I should also replace all the soft lines connecting the reservoir, hard lines, and mc. There were no leaks in any of the lines from the reservoir to the mc until I disturbed the lines. Then, when I filled the reservoir, I found that the rubber grommets sealing the lines inside the nuts were deteriorated and leaking. Ordered a new reservoir, which included the short hard lines, grommets, and nuts. Then found the same problem others have found: 2 different sizes of hard line, and no new soft hose to connect them. My fix was to cut off a short section of the old, larger hard line and silver-solder it to the new, small line, which happened to be copper. It works, so that's good enough. On to other problems, which are plentiful.

Stan

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

Fix this before you install the tank...That looks like fuel line from the reservoir and it WILL fail in a couple months and you will have brake fluid everywhere. You NEED to use hose that is compatible with brake fluid. If you are using silicone fluid, it may be OK, but I dont know for sure.
beeniebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion with 67 reservoir Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up, but it is brake hose. Black now, not blue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: