Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

5.4 versus 5.5 rods
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: 5.4 versus 5.5 rods Reply with quote

Just curious in opinions, I got talked into 5.5 rods for my 2110 engine for my Thing, I was set on 5.4's, heads are Tims stage ones.
Other than, obviously I'll check the deck height whenever time comes to build it, But is there a benefit to the little extra bit of rod length?
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 5.4 versus 5.5 rods Reply with quote

Long rods are race engines and short rods are for street engines. Dan
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 5.4 versus 5.5 rods Reply with quote

No way you will tell a difference. More important is deck height and engine width but IDK if that matters for a Thing or not.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 5.4 versus 5.5 rods Reply with quote

MConstable wrote:
Just curious in opinions, I got talked into 5.5 rods for my 2110 engine for my Thing, I was set on 5.4's, heads are Tims stage ones.
Other than, obviously I'll check the deck height whenever time comes to build it, But is there a benefit to the little extra bit of rod length?

Why? I just finished a 2110 that I am about to fire up in 10min and with the 5.4" rods, I had negative .015" deck height to start with. I used .060" barrel shims and trimmed my chambers down to 53cc for 9.5 to 1 CR.

I only use the 5.5" rods on 1914's and 2165's so setting deck height isn't such a PITA.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 5.4 versus 5.5 rods Reply with quote

Seems like one of those where the only thing you need to consider is putting the piston in the right place at TDC... Whether it takes a 5.325/.4/.5/.6 for our purposes is seemingly irrelevant.

Although if you do need a 5.325 or 5.6 I would maybe question if you have the right combination of pin height/crank stroke and cylinder length.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 5.4 versus 5.5 rods Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Seems like one of those where the only thing you need to consider is putting the piston in the right place at TDC... Whether it takes a 5.325/.4/.5/.6 for our purposes is seemingly irrelevant.

Although if you do need a 5.325 or 5.6 I would maybe question if you have the right combination of pin height/crank stroke and cylinder length.

Exactly.

www.mofoco.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 5.4 versus 5.5 rods Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:

Shorter then what? Longer then what? You have no reference point.

Rod ratio has a reference point. Cause its short or long as compared to the crank stroke.

In relation to the crank stroke, the stock 1600 uses a "longer rod" then any 5.4 or 5.6 rod in any 82-84 stroke engine.

So you can say VW chose to use a long rod in their little non race engine.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 5.4 versus 5.5 rods Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:

Rod ratio has a reference point. Cause its short or long as compared to the crank stroke.

In relation to the crank stroke, the stock 1600 uses a "longer rod" then any 5.4 or 5.6 rod in any 82-84 stroke engine.

I agree with what you are saying here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 5.4 versus 5.5 rods Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:

OK I will get more specific. For a 6500 rpm street engine there is no need for anything higher than 1.62 to one. The pistons and cylinders will still last longer then the valvetrain and cylinder heads and and the power band will be better suited for a street engine. VW used longer rods than it needed. The Honda D16 had a 1.52 to Ratio and the Honda engine has proven to last far longer than any VW Air cooled engine.

On a race engine which revs are much higher than the street engine having the longer rod will add more top end power and reduce friction at those rpm’s. I say focus on the problems the VW engine has and not the ones that it does not have. Plus the short rod fits the VW engine better and fits the car better in street use.
Dan
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 5.4 versus 5.5 rods Reply with quote

what's most important to you?
getting the rod ratio you think you want?
Having the engine go together easily?
Having it fit the car (and exhaust, tin, etc) ?
You could argue different combinations of parts, depending on what you are doing..
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 5.4 versus 5.5 rods Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
jpaull wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:

OK I will get more specific. For a 6500 rpm street engine there is no need for anything higher than 1.62 to one. The pistons and cylinders will still last longer then the valvetrain and cylinder heads and and the power band will be better suited for a street engine. VW used longer rods than it needed. The Honda D16 had a 1.52 to Ratio and the Honda engine has proven to last far longer than any VW Air cooled engine.

On a race engine which revs are much higher than the street engine having the longer rod will add more top end power and reduce friction at those rpm’s. I say focus on the problems the VW engine has and not the ones that it does not have. Plus the short rod fits the VW engine better and fits the car better in street use.
Dan

Come on......you can't compare the longevity of a completely different design watercooled engine to an aircooled engine and come to the conclusion that the rod ratio is the determining factor. There are WAY too many variables.

The short rod does not fit the 1914 or the 2165 "better" at all. All other things being equal, if you just slap it together, the deck height is over .130" To correct it, you would have to cut the barrels or to just get it done, you have to flycut the head to the low 40's. This is going to change the width. You can almost keep a stock width by using the 5.5's.

As we started talking about on another post, getting the "right" rod ratio doesn't really mean much for a street engine. A race engine is a totally different debate.

www.mofoco.com

Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 5.4 versus 5.5 rods Reply with quote

I understand all that Roy and I agree on a street engine the ratio does not matter that much. You pick the rod that fits the best for what you are building. We agree more than you think. Just trying to dispel the gotta have long rod myth. I was a believer in my past.

Dan
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 5.4 versus 5.5 rods Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
gotta have long rod myth.

Wink
ha!
I'll show myself out..
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 5.4 versus 5.5 rods Reply with quote

You got me. Razz
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 5.4 versus 5.5 rods Reply with quote

Stock width is overrated, IMO. Narrower engines are "lighter and tighter"!

MConstable, I'm a fan of the 5.325" rod and 82 stroke combination. You'll have to likely trim your barrels a bit, but your pushrods will be lighter and stiffer, your studs will flex less, making your entire valvetrain more stable than a longer setup. If you can swing it, buy some pistons with higher pins too.

Another positive is your carbs will be easier to work on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 5.4 versus 5.5 rods Reply with quote

Unless you're worried about semantics, 5.4 rods are good with 82 cranks....5.5 with 78.....5.5 or longer with 84 or bigger cranks.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 5.4 versus 5.5 rods Reply with quote

I am working on a 84 mm with Porsche 5.352” rods right now. Will have a 1.62 ratio. I will have to clearance the underside of the piston for backside of the rod to piston clearance. This set up is old school and was very popular in the 80s and 70s. I guess I’m getting old school. Some of the new school ideas are better and some are worse. Dan
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 5.4 versus 5.5 rods Reply with quote

You would have to make a large difference in rod/stroke ratio to tell a difference in a street motor. That would take a lot more than a .1 change in length.
My preference?
As long as it is over 1.6 to 1 It is golden.
I have increased rod length in other motors to get them UP to 1.6
The vw has a really long rod to begin with around 2 to 1.
KB used to stay around the 2 to 1 for their nitro motors.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 5.4 versus 5.5 rods Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
I am working on a 84 mm with Porsche 5.352” rods right now. Will have a 1.62 ratio. I will have to clearance the underside of the piston for backside of the rod to piston clearance. This set up is old school and was very popular in the 80s and 70s. I guess I’m getting old school. Some of the new school ideas are better and some are worse. Dan

Mark Hebert built his like this. Torque
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 5.4 versus 5.5 rods Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
thats so funny....so....why did chrysler use a 6.125 rod in thier 273, 318,340,360 and more?my 340 has less stroke than one of my vw motors...and about the same as my 2332.. so...was it so we could race all those mopars to the track and at the track and back from the track? and like a 6.7 or is it 7.2?...rod in some of thier big blocks....I think my 241 cid v8 motor had 6.125...or possiably longer...could that have something to do with those motor lasting so long???and the short rod Chevy's&fords needing boring over size ...with half the mille's ??hmm now I wonder about that new nissan with the variable stroke&cr that has the piston &rid almost perfectly inline all the time when it;s running witch cuts massiave amounts of fricksion.... yes long rods work, yes longer rods are good. yes they have less cylinder wall fricksion, yes shorts rods are more prone to breaking...yes short rods are harder on cylinder walls and pistons...yes you did good getting the longer rods. no I doubt you can feal it with a butt dyno. yes it may move the torque band up or 50 rpm. yes it should also lower oil temps. no you dont need to over think it. yes I paid a lot of extra $$ for 1/2" longer rods in one of my personal v8's.yes I even bought a set about .200 longer than those.....shit I sure could of saves a lot of $$ on parts if i knew the way to go was so simple and short....lived
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: