Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil light flickering
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony1210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: Oil light flickering Reply with quote

HELPI need some information about the oil light flickers
In my case the oil light in some cases sometimes flickers when idle after 7 minutes and then once im accelerating it goes away but then when i see a red light ahead i apply the brakes as i need to. And the oil light becomes bright and brighter. Flickering of course, so the harder I apply the brakes the brighter it becomes, and once I come to a stop) it flickers with a very very low red and not as hard as when i was braking. Im confused in whats happening do i use a different oil? Or what im currently using turbo diesal truck oil which was recommended by the previous owner and i appreciate your time Smile 1900cc engine single carb... HELP
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Oil light flickering Reply with quote

It sounds like your bug wants a heavier oil or just needs idle speed turned up a bit? Depending on you location/climate, you might experiment with 20w50 high zinc oil (usually called racing or hot rod oil). My bug is stock, 2-1/2 quarts of oil doesn't cost much, so I changed oil more often until I found the one I liked.
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Oil light flickering Reply with quote

seems the idle speed needs to be upped.

cool pic btw
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sokyjeepster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Oil light flickering Reply with quote

[quote="bhartwell59"]seems the idle speed needs to be upped.

x's 3.... the rpm's are too low
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Oil light flickering Reply with quote

I just have stock 1600cc sp engines.

But are you keeping your engine cool enough? You appear to have a louver-less deck-lid.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil light flickering Reply with quote

Tony1210 wrote:
i apply the brakes as i need to. And the oil light becomes bright and brighter. Flickering of course, so the harder I apply the brakes the brighter it becomes, and once I come to a stop) it flickers with a very very low red and not as hard as when i was braking.

Sounds to me like either the oil level is too low in your crankcase or the pickup tube may be a loose fit in the case, causing it to suck air when the oil sloshes forward during braking.
Tom Butler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil light flickering Reply with quote

mascrappo wrote:
It sounds like your bug wants a heavier oil or just needs idle speed turned up a bit? Depending on you location/climate, you might experiment with 20w50 high zinc oil (usually called racing or hot rod oil). My bug is stock, 2-1/2 quarts of oil doesn't cost much, so I changed oil more often until I found the one I liked.

inb4 "you use that SLUDGE" and "20w50 is WAY to thick for our bugs" Laughing

Proud Member Pata De Perro Vw Club

iowegian wrote:
Instead of converting your car to a different color, why not just buy one that is a color you like?
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil light flickering Reply with quote

Tom Butler wrote:
mascrappo wrote:

To each their own my friend, it works for me! Smile Thanks for the response, sometimes I think my comments simply go to the Twilight Zone.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil light flickering Reply with quote

Tony1210 wrote:
HELPI need some information about the oil light flickers

Cool car! And nice upgrade, with a 1900cc I'm sure you really get to enjoy driving.

You asked for help and information.. here it is.. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/73bug/73T1-24.jpg
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

according to the owner's manual.. an oil light flicker is acceptable. Yes we all agree that it's not ideal, and I think everyone would like to never see the red light except when the key is in and engine off. There has been some discussion on the oil pressure relief plunger bore in the case needing to be sleeved at rebuild, but no definite answer on if that fixes the hot idle flicker or not.

Don't get in to a discussion about oil on this topic or the thread will be locked. I will state facts and leave it at that: The VW engine was not designed to run 50 weight oil. There are several technical reasons NOT to run a high viscosity and most have to do with the oil cooler bypassing at certain pressures, causing higher oil temperatures.

The Bentley recommends idling about 950 RPM.. you can set it there, but if you kick the idle up to somewhere around 1050 or 1100 RPM, the red light won't flicker as much, if it concerns you.

I would recommend doing a good bit of research on oil types. There is a lot to read and more opinions than facts, but it's critical to the life of your engine to service it with the appropriate oil type and weight, with appropriate additives. Maybe check out 'performance engine transmission' here, or click over to shoptalkforums.. if you see ANYTHING written by Jake Raby, take it into consideration over anyone else, because he excels in the aircooled field.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Butler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil light flickering Reply with quote

mascrappo wrote:
Tom Butler wrote:
mascrappo wrote:

To each their own my friend, it works for me! Smile Thanks for the response, sometimes I think my comments simply go to the Twilight Zone.

I know the feeling. I actually use 20w50 in my 71 super. Ive just noticed there are alot of people on here who will say those things.

Proud Member Pata De Perro Vw Club

iowegian wrote:
Instead of converting your car to a different color, why not just buy one that is a color you like?
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil light flickering Reply with quote

Tom Butler wrote:
mascrappo wrote:
Tom Butler wrote:
mascrappo wrote:

I know the feeling. I actually use 20w50 in my 71 super. Ive just noticed there are alot of people on here who will say those things.

I knew you were ribbing me, yes they come out of the wood work condemning me. My dad used 20w50 Valvoline racing in our bug back in the 1970's, worked good then, still works for me now!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil light flickering Reply with quote

Consider WHY the light is coming on… If the engine is old, it's telling you it needs a rebuild.

If it's not old, a light means low pressure. So you COULD have overly thin oil, or you COULD have overly hot oil, which would then thin the oil out too much. Or you COULD have a faulty oil pressure sender. Or you COULD have an idle speed so low that the oil pump can't build enough pressure. Or you COULD have an idle mixture that is on the verge of too lean or too rich, and the braking force sloshes the fuel in the carburetor around just the right way that it tips the engine into the unhappy zone.

All of those are easy fixes. There are more possibilities, but those are difficult and should only be attempted if the above course doesn't yield satisfactory results.

One poster above noted your deck lid, which does not have louvers, or vents for cooling air to enter. Propping your deck lid open with a tennis ball and going for a drive will allow more air in, and solve the problem if the oil is getting too hot and thin.

Going up one weight in oil will thicken the oil and solve the problem if the oil is too thin.

Adjusting your carburetor idle mixture and speed according to the factory service manual or Volkzbitz page (link below) will solve the problem if the mixture/speed is causing an unusual drop in speed and pump output.

Which one is it? That's the fun part! You get to decide which route to take, and promise your car that you won't try everything at once. I usually shoot for the easiest and cheapest first, and go from there. For me, this would be: carb adjustment, deck lid venting, oil weight swap, pressure sender replacement, and then looking for something more complicated.

Good luck, and make sure to keep us updated with your progress!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Oil light flickering Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Which one is it? That's the fun part! You get to decide which route to take, and promise your car that you won't try everything at once. I usually shoot for the easiest and cheapest first, and go from there. For me, this would be: carb adjustment, deck lid venting, oil weight swap, pressure sender replacement, and then looking for something more complicated.

Good advice Robbie... methodical and thoughtful.

It'll be a PITA to track the problem down but very satisfying when solved... then on to our regularly schedule program!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil light flickering Reply with quote

Do you have the stock oil pressure sensor, or an after-market version? Some of the after-marker versions turn the light on at higher pressure than the stock part.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil light flickering Reply with quote

Depending on what the problem is adding a 1/2 quart of heavier oil might help.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: