Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

early build 1967 window crank
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxThe67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: early build 1967 window crank Reply with quote

sorry if this has been covered, I searched but nothing came up for me.

My '67 was built in September of '66. It has the old style window crank with the white(?) Bakelite knob. I know some '67 only items were mid-year, is this the case or was the black plastic knob from the start? Unsure if maybe mine broke and they replaced them with what was available.

Also, if you have a favorite reference source for '67 only ( I know about the website 67 only) please let me know
Brian Anthony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: early build 1967 window crank Reply with quote

Have you checked this post?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187814&highlight=1967

I’m not old, but I once knew a man who was alive during the Civil War, and he once knew Revolutionary War veterans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MaxThe67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: early build 1967 window crank Reply with quote

Yes, thank you. I did read some of that post. Still looking it over (43 pages long)
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: early build 1967 window crank Reply with quote

99% positive it should have the black rubber type.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: early build 1967 window crank Reply with quote

Possible, but more likely to be that the original '67-only cranks, being hard to find, were often replaced by an older version when it broke. Like on my old '67 on the driver's side:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: early build 1967 window crank Reply with quote

the 67 only window crank was used from beginning to end of the 67 model year. it was not a mid-year change.

many many many many 67s have been retrofitted with 66 and earlier style cranks over the years for a variety of reasons - mostly coming down to availability of replacements....and fwiw the current repro 67 only window crank available from wolfsburg west and elsewhere is junk - knob fell off mine with 8 months daily driving use. look for good used...i've paid between $2 and $20 for various original 67 only window cranks within the last 5 years or so.
cyclehobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: early build 1967 window crank Reply with quote

Agreed. All 67's had the unique black plastic knob. I've been told the old, original, larger black knobs used to crack over time and fall off. So, many people simply installed the easier to find cranks from earlier years instead of replacing them with the correct ones.

My 67 had earlier cranks, but I replaced them with repros from WW. It's true that they seem not as well made as original, but for my use, they're OK. Around here, original 67 cranks are either very hard to find or very expensive when you do. Of course, original is always best - if you're up to it.

Eric has them on his Lane Russell site.
MaxThe67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: early build 1967 window crank Reply with quote

Thanks for the info gentlemen. I have looked at the reproductions 67only.com (out of stock) and CiP1 ($29). I didn’t look at WW, but am surprised to here they are not of good quality. I purchased some sun roof cables, which have served me well, from WW.
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: early build 1967 window crank Reply with quote

Classifieds have a few
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
Mike
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: early build 1967 window crank Reply with quote

WW just sells what everyone else sells. People think they're different, but unless it says made by them, you can normally get it elsewhere.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
AirCooledArtifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: early build 1967 window crank Reply with quote

cyclehobby wrote:
Agreed. All 67's had the unique black plastic knob. I've been told the old, original, larger black knobs used to crack over time and fall off. So, many people simply installed the easier to find cranks from earlier years instead of replacing them with the correct ones.

My 67 had earlier cranks, but I replaced them with repros from WW. It's true that they seem not as well made as original, but for my use, they're OK. Around here, original 67 cranks are either very hard to find or very expensive when you do. Of course, original is always best - if you're up to it.

Eric has them on his Lane Russell site.

We hope to have more soon. You can sign up on our site for the email alerts.

Very Happy
aircooledartifacts.com

Follow our restoration work on Instagram.
Our vintage VW story — featured by Volkswagen of America, Inc, VW Trends & HotVWs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: