Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hard Start Relay Fuse Keeps Popping
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OLDveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Hard Start Relay Fuse Keeps Popping Reply with quote

Here is a little background info.

About a year or so ago I installed a 6 volt hard start relay from Wolfsberg West. Works great, car starts most of the time except after a long drive (starter gets pretty toasty). I end up having to take a drink break, walk around a bi,t and it usually cranks over.

Now after two long tripsI have had the following problem. I will get to my destination after about 2 hours of driving. The engine is a 1600sp w/ PICT 30/31 carb, SVDA dizzy, running oil temps below gene berg light indication, rpm is about 3200 most of the time.

When I get to my parking spot I shut the car down. Then I go and try to start it up again just to see...nothing happens. The dummy lights dim a little but the starter doesn't even remotely turn over. I've narrowed it down to the 15 amp fuse on the hard start relay. The question is...why does it keep blowing? All the connections are good and tight. The ground wire is attached to a screw on the inspection plate.

Weird thing is the last time I put a fuse in the next morning...started up fine when it was cold. Worked for about a week then I went on another trip...blew again. Any ideas? I'd hate to have to push start everywhere!
"Perfection through inspection."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuses that come with the hard start relays are too small. Even the 12V kits come with a 15 amp fuse. If you ever read the specs on the starter solenoid pull-in current, you'll see this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The pull in current is momentary, but can be enough to pop a fuse - just look at the rating for the 6V - 89 amps on the Bosch starter. Which I think HAS to be a misprint, I think 39 amps is more likely. Still, that's a lot. Momentary loads won't necessarily pop the fuse, but the steady "holding current" of 18-23 amps will. You can see that's not matched for a 15 amp fuse.

Even on the 12V the 30-35 pull in amps can be enough to pop that 15 amp fuse, even if the holding current is only 11 or 12 amps. When we would install the 12V kits into customers cars we'd always put 25 or 30 amp fuses into them.

andy

Last edited by glutamodo on Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OLDveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tip. i had a couple extra fuses that i tried earlier today (bought some after the first problem, 15a) and they did the same thing. so i will look for a 30 amp fuse tommorow. thanks again!

if there are any other comments let me know!
"Perfection through inspection."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pfc J
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with the 15A.

The 20A I have in there now has never given me a problem, even in the winter.
codubdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: starting problem Reply with quote

Glutamodo is correct. When he worked with me 6-8 years ago he was the shops' electrical tech. We did opt for the 30 amp maybe more for washboard roads but I believe a previous responder went for the 20 amp. Either way, the 15 amp was incorrect from the get go for most of us. Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting fact is that the original starter circuit did not have fuse protection. You have added one to the relay tripping circuit, and that's what's blowing?
DaBraink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is the starter? Is the bushing possibly worn? If the armature is riding close to the stator, heat may aggravate the problem by allowing it to drag.

I had a Chevy starter that was too close to the headers and had to wrap the header and starter to insulate them. After that I never had a problem with high current draw. It was so high the fusible link would burn.

There's never enough time to do things right, but always enough time to do them over.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
The fuses that come with the hard start relays are too small. Even the 12V kits come with a 15 amp fuse. If you ever read the specs on the starter solenoid pull-in current, you'll see this:

The pull in current is momentary, but can be enough to pop a fuse - just look at the rating for the 6V - 89 amps on the Bosch starter. Which I think HAS to be a misprint, I think 39 amps is more likely. Still, that's a lot. Momentary loads won't necessarily pop the fuse, but the steady "holding current" of 18-23 amps will. You can see that's not matched for a 15 amp fuse.

Even on the 12V the 30-35 pull in amps can be enough to pop that 15 amp fuse, even if the holding current is only 11 or 12 amps. When we would install the 12V kits into customers cars we'd always put 25 or 30 amp fuses into them.

andy

So, when adding a hard start relay to a 6v system, which fuse in the fuse box should be replaced with a 25 or 30 amp fuse? #1 (furthest left) or #8 (furthest right) or both of them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard Start Relay Fuse Keeps Popping Reply with quote

None of them.

Your hard start relay circuit should add its own fuse on its line from the main power/battery to the starter.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard Start Relay Fuse Keeps Popping Reply with quote

Yep, if the car is still wired as per the factory, the current goes straight from the voltage regulator to the headlight switch, then from there via a junction at the fusebox to the ignition switch and out from there to the starter without a single fuse in between.

Now, Low Voltage Relay kits usually add an inline fuse, but not always, as I have seen them before where it was just a relay socket with wires coming out and no inline fuse holder.

Blast from the past, this thread is. I see a dead image link above from me, that was because I had a very small amount of images on a different FTP server that got taken down. Although the image isn't essential, as I discuss the pertinent specifications in text, I do have that image available elsewhere:

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Hard Start Relay Fuse Keeps Popping Reply with quote

Thanks Andy.

Yes, the car ('64 Ghia) is wired as it came from the factory. The relay I got from WW has no provision for an inline fuse.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Hard Start Relay Fuse Keeps Popping Reply with quote

Okay, so it's WW, I looked it up and that's the kind of kit that I've seen before that was not assembled with an inline fuseholder. The Bosch WR1 (12V) kit was the one where it had a harness with a fuseholder and the too-wimpy 15A fuse.

It's up to you if you want to get an inline fuseholder and splice it in there.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hard Start Relay Fuse Keeps Popping Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Yep, if the car is still wired as per the factory, the current goes straight from the voltage regulator to the headlight switch, then from there via a junction at the fusebox to the ignition switch and out from there to the starter without a single fuse in between.

Now, Low Voltage Relay kits usually add an inline fuse, but not always, as I have seen them before where it was just a relay socket with wires coming out and no inline fuse holder.

Blast from the past, this thread is. I see a dead image link above from me, that was because I had a very small amount of images on a different FTP server that got taken down. Although the image isn't essential, as I discuss the pertinent specifications in text, I do have that image available elsewhere:

Thank you...
For the excellent info on current draw. It may be used when selecting a relay. I add one to my 12 volt van, a 30 amp relay, holding up so far, but it appears it is marginal with a vw solinoid, and under sized for a Bosch. I think I will upgrde to a higher current relay based on this info.

Keep a Buggin!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Hard Start Relay Fuse Keeps Popping Reply with quote

Pull-in current is momentary, so not nearly as big of a deal as the holding current, which is constant while the starter is in operation.

Although, if you're around parts cars, the "horn relay" that VW used for many years as a power supply relay, those are commonly rated at 40A. In the watercooled era they even grew ginormous power in/out terminals.

herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Hard Start Relay Fuse Keeps Popping Reply with quote

Current Values posted by glutamodo I think shall be divided by ~2 in normal cars.

They are measured with 135A/h batteries; with a normal 55Ah or 66Ah battery voltage drop should cause a proportional current drop.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Hard Start Relay Fuse Keeps Popping Reply with quote

Just because you have that kind of available electrical potential doesn't mean that the device in question will actually USE it. Also, the type 2 6V testing procedure mentions nothing about that kind of power source.

herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Hard Start Relay Fuse Keeps Popping Reply with quote

The matter is that under load a normal battery drops a lot of voltage, so the calcuation should take into account (Ohm's relation) the actual voltage to which current flow is directly proportional.

Measuring with 2 or 3 battery in parallel is not for their capacity (measured in Amperes per hour) but for the parallelizing of their internal equivalent resistance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: