Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Soundproofing a 1972 Karmann Ghia
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bdm351
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Soundproofing a 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

I have a 1972 Pan off Restoration project that is coming to an end.
I am looking for solutions to soundproofing the rear quarters that lead to the engine compartment. There is a hole along the inside behind the upholstery panels that leads to the engine that I can stick my arm through. Has anyone soundproofed this area before? If so with what?

I am looking for advice

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by bdm351 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing a 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Stuff with an old blanket or other like object.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing a 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Do you have the proper engine bay sound deadening that originally came with the car? Most cars have the firewall pad, but have lost the side panels. If the side panels are in place, and your interior panels are in place, there shouldn't be much noise transmission through the rear quarter. You could add some additional adhesive mat to the back of the interior panels.

https://www.karmannghia.com/FIREWALL-/-SOUND-ABSORBER/folder/4923
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing a 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

bdm351 wrote:
There is a hole along the inside behind the upholstery panels that leads to the engine that I can stick my arm through.

That shouldn’t be possible. There is supposed to be a small panel on top of each wheel tub that closes off the gap between the firewall, wheel tub and top of the guard. Sometimes it gets forgotten after collision repair..

The top edges of the panel marked in the red circle are supposed to have a felt liner mating against the inside of the rear guard. It's meant to stop rubbing and provide some sort of seal. The cabling to the engine bay runs through a grommet in the centre of it on the left side (66 onwards). The oppositie side has the same panel but no hole.

The engine noise will easily get through this hole even with the seats down. Further, the engine will suck air through the gap if the panel is absent. That can either suck air through the cabin or worse blow oil and exhaust smoke back the other way.

Nicholas
Edit: I found a better picture from the gallery

Last edited by sputnick60 on Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Figment
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing a 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Driving around this summer with no interior panels, I got a LOT of engine noise via that hole, even with the grommets and engine bay tarboards in place.

I stuffed a moving blanket into the fenderwell, which made a dramatic improvement.

I haven't yet decided what to use in place of the blanket when I install the interior panels over the winter. I'm open to suggestions.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing a 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
bdm351 wrote:
There is a hole along the inside behind the upholstery panels that leads to the engine that I can stick my arm through.

That shouldn’t be possible. There is supposed to be a small panel on top of each wheel tub that closes off the gap between the firewall, wheel tub and top of the guard. Sometimes it gets forgotten after collision repair..

The top edges of the panel marked in the red circle are supposed to have a felt liner mating against the inside of the rear guard. It's meant to stop rubbing and provide some sort of seal. The cabling to the engine bay runs through a grommet in the centre of it on the left side (66 onwards). The oppositie side has the same panel but no hole.

The engine noise will easily get through this hole even with the seats down. Further, the engine will suck air through the gap if the panel is absent. That can either suck air through the cabin or worse blow oil and exhaust smoke back the other way.

Nicholas

I've just realised that I can make my Ghia even quieter. Thanks Nicholas.

Next is a quieter exhaust. But oh, where to find?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing a 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Here are pics from the inside where originally there was a small stuffed sock between wheel well and outside car body.
More than just the small stuffed sock will help quiet engine noise. A moving blanket seems to work better than foam eggshell material.

NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing a 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

bdm351 wrote:
I am looking for solutions to soundproofing the rear quarters that lead to the engine compartment. There is a hole along the inside behind the upholstery panels that leads to the engine that I can stick my arm through. Has anyone soundproofed this area before? If so with what?

I am looking for advice.

On my last car I used heavy felt under the carpet. It was very effective in reducing noise. I also had the original tarboards in the engine bay.
bdm351
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing a 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
bdm351 wrote:

I am looking for advice.

On my last car I used heavy felt under the carpet. It was very effective in reducing noise. I also had the original tarboards in the engine bay.

Thanks.. I have the tarboards but wanted a little more insulation.
bdm351
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing a 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Here are pics from the inside where originally there was a small stuffed sock between wheel well and outside car body.
More than just the small stuffed sock will help quiet engine noise. A moving blanket seems to work better than foam eggshell material.

This looks to be exactly what I have in mind for my Ghia..
I will take the moving blanket idea and see if that is where we can muffle a littel more noise.. Thanks..
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing a 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

bdm351 wrote:
NOVA Airhead wrote:
bdm351 wrote:

I am looking for advice.

Thanks.. I have the tarboards but wanted a little more insulation.

I actually removed the tar boards during the restoration. I found the heavy felt padding to be very effective with respect to noise...much better than the tar boards as I had tar boards on an earlier Ghia.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing a 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

I used this in the cavity of fenders, panels and doors.

http://www.eastwood.com/lizard-skin-sound-control-formula-1-gal-pail.html

Obviously i don't have the perseverance that Daryl has....

Then I used the Mat on larger areas followed by closed cell foam in the rear firewall. Still loud, but with warming quality.......

Last edited by swavananda on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing a 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

If you are not running heater hoses under the rear seat....don't forget to plug those holes. They will let in tons of engine noise.

Quote:
Obviously i don't have the perseverance that Daryl has....

Thanks, I just had a lot of Rattletrap....check that, noise OCD. Smile
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing a 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Keep in mind that dynomat/etc add a lot of weight to the car overall. You could be adding the weight of a second person just with it.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing a 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

My stereo is super important in my car, as I mix professionally and listen to mixes in the car when I go for drives.

The sound deadening makes a huge difference in making the ghia feel plush, like a new BMW when you shut the doors and stuff. People comment on it when they ride in it.

Of course dynamat - but I use brown bread, as it's cheaper. The real trick is Mass Loaded Vinyl you can get it with foam backing that can then be glued with contact cement. This stuff is amazing, and makes all the difference in the world. We use it in studios to control bass transfer. Dynamat (stick stuff) is for stopping resonance. MLP is true deadening.

Here's a pic when I was building my ghia with the MLP:
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing a 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Is it really necessary to cover all the bare panels with the silver foil covered mats? I think you need to make a difference between vibration damping and sound deadening. Vibration damping is what you do with the silver foil covered mats as they change panel vibrations by adding weight and frictional damping (changing the natural frequency of the panel).

The sound insulation is done by thicker mats made of foam like materials that kills sound transfer.

In my ghia I used Silent Coat to kill panel vibrations but just in the middle of the big panels. I did not cover the whole panel. Then over the Silent Coat covered panels I glued 10 mm thick sound deadening foam but now I covered the whole panel.

I cant tell how this worked out as the car is still not ready for the road though Embarassed Very Happy
--------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing a 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

bluedot... got a link for the Brown Bread deadener?

Since I have a vert there's only so much quiet I can achieve... if I can reduce the tinny-ness, that will make me happy. Modern car quiet just ain't gonna happen with a vert... but I'll try!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing a 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

bhartwell59 wrote:
bluedot... got a link for the Brown Bread deadener?

Since I have a vert there's only so much quiet I can achieve... if I can reduce the tinny-ness, that will make me happy. Modern car quiet just ain't gonna happen with a vert... but I'll try!

I didn’t do much more than stock sound treatment for the same reason. With the top up or down its a cabriolet and its noisy. For long drives I wear ear plugs so my ears don’t ring. So does adding deadener like brown bread really bring any improvement? How would one measure that?
Nicholas
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing a 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

As you know - my car is a convertible.

It's actually quieter with the top down than with it up! Now I'm not saying it's quiet at 60mph - but it is quiet on the roads up to 45mph.

I'll have to take you all for a ride at the next show. My doors shut with a thud, no resonance and the floor and luggage compartment is covered with mass loaded vinyl. The inside of the doors are done with the deadener, and a sheet of mass loaded vinyl behind each door panel. I used mass loaded vinyl and deadener inside the deck lid as well.

I did this in my Subaru too when we put in a new stereo and speakers. It's pretty standard in the high end audio circles.

I will say that my transaxle is unfortunately my noisiest part of my car, and I think of swapping it out one day - but when I talk to mechanics, they say it's normal.

Looks like they changed the name of Brown Bread - but here's the company that does the deadener and mass loaded vinyl. It's called B-Quiet Ultimate now.
https://www.b-quiet.com
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing a 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Going through my past orders - when I did our Forester, I found a better source thru Amazon for the deadening, and MLV without the foam to use behind the door panels.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JHE1P6/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00URUIKAK/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: