Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ball joint ideas
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Ball joint ideas Reply with quote

So I was looking into converting to a link/ king pin front beam and it looks like a big expensive pain in the add. I had a thought I'd run by you guys since I'm fairly new to the bug world but not to off road. Seems to me like the travel limitation to the ball joint is the ball joint itself. Has anyone built longer arms with heims and misalignment spacers to solve the travel problem? I think longer arms with heims would be the way to go vs a king pin setup or am I missing something? Probly make a lot of money if someone put together a kit with the arms, heims and a reamer for the spindles. Are the factory arms forged? Might try this experiment myself with a little help from a friend or 2.
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ball joint ideas Reply with quote

It's been done, but limited success. Claimed travel was 16".
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Ball joint ideas Reply with quote

You can take a LP beam and cut the chassis mounts out so you can spread the tubes and make new mounts so it bolts to a BJ frame head. Your arms won't be parallel but they aren't parallel on a stock LP beam anyways.
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint ideas Reply with quote

If you want increased suspension and are planing on fabrication work, why not go full out and A-arm it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2973456
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint ideas Reply with quote

Fenix wrote:
If you want increased suspension and are planing on fabrication work, why not go full out and A-arm it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2973456

I was planning on building some trailing arms, not the whole front of the car lol. If still like to keep it torsion and use a regular shock. Funds are very limited and I would like to just widen the from just a bit and improve the travel. If you seen my car you would understand, father in law built it 30 years ago and it's just now getting some updates. Just spent a bunch of money on the motor and getting it driving right. Next will be the suspension.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint ideas Reply with quote

I get the sentimental thing. Rebuilt a deceased friends rail twice in the last 5 years. Now I have his 4runner, small journal 327/350/205. Don't think santa is bringing my superduty axles this year. The first step towards curing this sickness is to share spme pics Very Happy
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint ideas Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
I get the sentimental thing. Rebuilt a deceased friends rail twice in the last 5 years. Now I have his 4runner, small journal 327/350/205. Don't think santa is bringing my superduty axles this year. The first step towards curing this sickness is to share spme pics Very Happy

Another reason is that the old lady still wants it to be the same car mostly, I told her it will be repainted someday because I have some rust spots to take care of. Other things like the screwdriver jammed into where the blinker switch arm broke off has to stay and the "rolling gas pedal wheel thing" has to stay lol

The motor now

Empi stage 1 cnc wedge ports with solid shaft rockers

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint ideas Reply with quote

After handling a set of stage 3 at my flaps, we agreed on stage 2 for my build. Dang the luck, I was dragging my feet when a set of nib scat hand ported 043 w/intakes became available at a price I could not pass up. What cam are you running?
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint ideas Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
After handling a set of stage 3 at my flaps, we agreed on stage 2 for my build. Dang the luck, I was dragging my feet when a set of nib scat hand ported 043 w/intakes became available at a price I could not pass up. What cam are you running?

W110, it needed to still be reliable and I didn't split the cases. I got these heads at a great price to but when I went to pick them up they were 94mm not 92 like I wanted and that led to new pistons and cylinders. I almost went with 94s cut to 92 at the skirt for a 1915 but I found 94s that were 92 all the way through so I guess there thick wall 92s?
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint ideas Reply with quote

If those heads really flow 170, your going to leave a lot of power on the table with that 110 cam.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint ideas Reply with quote

SamT wrote:
If those heads really flow 170, your going to leave a lot of power on the table with that 110 cam.
yeah i know lol hopefully build a bigger motor soon but that will probly have to wait till summer. In the mean time i might throw some 1.25 of 1.4 rockers on it but I'm not sure yet.
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ball joint ideas Reply with quote

Vanillagurilla wrote:
SamT wrote:
yeah i know lol hopefully build a bigger motor soon but that will probly have to wait till summer. In the mean time i might throw some 1.25 of 1.4 rockers on it but I'm not sure yet.

I think the 1.4’s would destroy the valve train and guides
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Ball joint ideas Reply with quote

The add on the back of db@hvw shows 160 @600 lift, iirc. A 100 won't lift near that much.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: