Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear fenders for 1973 beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClareSutton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Rear fenders for 1973 beetle Reply with quote

My understanding is that the rear fenders on a '73 standard beetle are a one-year only item. Does this mean a set of '74 rear fenders won't fit? Does anyone know what the difference is? My rear fenders are toast but I have access to a pair of '74 fenders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Rear fenders for 1973 beetle Reply with quote

Never heard that before-- however the 73 rear fenders WERE the first to use the oversize "elephant's feet" taillight assemblies. But I would think anything from 73 up would fit and be the correct style.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rear fenders for 1973 beetle Reply with quote

The bumper bracket holes might be different.

at least on a super, the 73 has slots the 74 has bigger openings.
this side of the pond at least.

3 million rpm? Well there's your problem! No wonder it blew up!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rear fenders for 1973 beetle Reply with quote

hobbybob517 wrote:
The bumper bracket holes might be different.

at least on a super, the 73 has slots the 74 has bigger openings.
this side of the pond at least.

Hmm- if true, that WOULD make the 73 a 1 year only, as it would be the only year to have the slot style bumper bracket holes and the elephant's feet taillights.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rear fenders for 1973 beetle Reply with quote

the bumper mounts changed around that time. later bumpers have the energy absorbing shocks, these mounted thru large holes in the rear fenders. early bumpers mount thru narrow smaller holes 1974 was start of the late bumpers

see photos here for differences in bumper mount hole

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ear+fender

Note several 73 fenders are for sale, post 73 bumpers show the large bumper mount hole.

good luck, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rear fenders for 1973 beetle Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Never heard that before-- however the 73 rear fenders WERE the first to use the oversize "elephant's feet" taillight assemblies. But I would think anything from 73 up would fit and be the correct style.

incorrect, the 74 and up has different bumper mounting hole on fender.

Good Luck Bug On

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022

Last edited by bluebus86 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rear fenders for 1973 beetle Reply with quote

whoo needs full fenders any way Shocked Rolling Eyes Wink funny story, I have a set of used fiberglass fenders that some moron cut the tail light holes with a jigsaw/sabresaw thingy and the holes are about big engiugh for the elefeet lights to fall right through..just some tiny places for the studs and a bunch of wacked up fiber glass....you cant fix stupid. if you need fenders and cant fins the right ones get some with smaller holes and transfer your holes.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rear fenders for 1973 beetle Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
sb001 wrote:

incorrect, the 74 and up has different bumper mounting hole on fender.

Good Luck Bug On

Actually the 74 is one year only also.

75-79 had a fuel injected engine which had a different rear apron to clean the muffler. The fenders were actually bowed to meet up with the apron.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ClareSutton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear fenders for 1973 beetle Reply with quote

Thanks for your input, guys. I don't want to buy new as I have heard lots about the quality (paper thin). I think I might buy the '74 fenders (local seller) and make the changes I need.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear fenders for 1973 beetle Reply with quote

74 would work with some mods. Weld up the large opening and the cut slits for the 73 bumper mounts. But, 74's are hard to come by, as well.

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear fenders for 1973 beetle Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Actually the 74 is one year only also.

75-79 had a fuel injected engine which had a different rear apron to clean the muffler. The fenders were actually bowed to meet up with the apron.

Actually a 74 rear fender will mount on a 75-79. The difference is the hole for the bumper mount. The hole on the 74 fender is closer to the rear apron by about 1/2". I have a 74 fender on my 78 and it will get changed when I repaint the car.

I bought a new fender for my 74 and feared the "thin metal" claim. The new fender isn't as thin as what I was expecting so I wouldn't worry about that, but what was a problem was the mounting holes. I had to enlarge quite a few of them to make it fit. I would advise that if you opt to buy new fenders buy them in a pair so your tail lights are even. Every new fender should be trial fitted and make sure all holes line up before painting.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: