Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automatic Transmission - Shifting Point, Kick Down, Etc.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
nepawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission - Shifting Point, Kick Down, Etc. Reply with quote

Same here. When I adjusted my cable night and day difference... Push on the rod that goes to the trans from engine till it clicks (Thats kickdown). Now have someone push the pedal, or yourself, and see if it clicks. If not take up more slack under the floor at the pedal.
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission - Shifting Point, Kick Down, Etc. Reply with quote

I wonder if there is any harm in pulling the cable through the pedal adjuster to the point that the screw / clamp is holding the cable, instead of the rod at the end?

If no harm, I could definitely get rid of some more slack.
Engine Conversion Thread (2.0 ABA Swap)
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Auto Trans Rebuild - Image Gallery
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission - Shifting Point, Kick Down, Etc. Reply with quote

h00drat wrote:
I wonder if there is any harm in pulling the cable through the pedal adjuster to the point that the screw / clamp is holding the cable, instead of the rod at the end?

Not 100% sure what you are talking about here, but if there is not sufficient adjustment I would have to wonder is something is bent, stretching, or otherwise amiss.
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission - Shifting Point, Kick Down, Etc. Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
h00drat wrote:

Not 100% sure what you are talking about here, but if there is not sufficient adjustment I would have to wonder is something is bent, stretching, or otherwise amiss.

The end of the cable has a metal rod on it. See image below. Prior to my adjustment, the very end of it was clamped in, under the pedal. I loosened the clamp and slid it through as far as I could, with the clamp still holding onto the metal post. I could have gone further, but the clamp would no longer be on the post, instead it would be on the cable.

I checked the transmission side of things and everything looked OK.

Again, I have a new cable that I will put on during my motor swap. I could put the new cable on now...but it's so cold outside, and I won't be driving the van much through the winter.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission - Shifting Point, Kick Down, Etc. Reply with quote

Before you put it in, compare your new cable to your old. Would like to know why things aren't working out correctly.
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission - Shifting Point, Kick Down, Etc. Reply with quote

Another thing...there’s a plastic piece that holds the cable housing to the van frame, in front of the auto trans. That plastic piece is broken. I didn’t think this would cause an issue...but maybe it does.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission - Shifting Point, Kick Down, Etc. Reply with quote

you need to secure (stop) the cable outer housing to properly operate the cable inside.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission - Shifting Point, Kick Down, Etc. Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
you need to secure (stop) the cable outer housing to properly operate the cable inside.

Alright. Looks like I need to install the new cable. I believe it came with that broken connector.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission - Shifting Point, Kick Down, Etc. Reply with quote

you may be able to fabricate a slotted bracket and an Mtn bike/motorcycle cable stop/adjuster to the frame outrigger if needed.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-METRIC-MOTORCYC...0913554604

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission - Shifting Point, Kick Down, Etc. Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
you may be able to fabricate a slotted bracket and an Mtn bike/motorcycle cable stop/adjuster to the frame outrigger if needed.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-METRIC-MOTORCYC...0913554604

Yeah, good point. Right now, I'm neck deep in this motor rebuild, and the throttle is working better than it did 2 days ago. Beyond that, it's vary rarely slipping on shifts now. So...unless I get bored, I'll probably wait to replace and make medications to the system until my motor swap.

For now, my improvements are already night and day.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: