Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Part It Out or Fix It?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottK66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Part It Out or Fix It? Reply with quote

Just discovered that new users can't send a private message for one day. Will have to wait until tomorrow, or if you can send me a PM with your number, I can call you.

Scott
ScottK66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Part It Out or Fix It? Reply with quote

Here are the photos as promised. By the time I took these, the cruise-in was over and most everyone had gone home. It was funny because when I pulled in, I was behind a Squareback and a Porsche 914. I have no idea who they were. We all just happened to be pulling in at the same time. It was amazing how much attention the car got. Every time I tried to walk away to go get dinner, someone would approach me and start asking me about it. Within an hour and a half of arriving, I had a buyer for it. It was the fastest I'd ever sold a car in my life!

Scott
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Part It Out or Fix It? Reply with quote

I'd be curious as to how that beautiful, stock bug survived those harsh winters in Ohio without rusting out? I'd assume it wasn't driven in the winter on the salted roads?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rekbender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Part It Out or Fix It? Reply with quote

ScottK66 wrote:
Here are the photos as promised. By the time I took these, the cruise-in was over and most everyone had gone home. It was funny because when I pulled in, I was behind a Squareback and a Porsche 914. I have no idea who they were. We all just happened to be pulling in at the same time. It was amazing how much attention the car got. Every time I tried to walk away to go get dinner, someone would approach me and start asking me about it. Within an hour and a half of arriving, I had a buyer for it. It was the fastest I'd ever sold a car in my life!

Scott

Scott's list of previous owners (provenance a la Antiques Roadshow) adds the human element to this old VW. The original owner's name (Tom Montgomery) appears in the front of the owner's manual so the chain of ownership is complete. I never expected to have this information, especially since the State of Ohio no longer offers any help through their records. Thanks again Scott, both for the history and the pictures of the Super Beetle in it's original condition. Wow!
I removed the cover from the rear seat cushion. In order to straighten the frame, I had to detach the springs along the back bottom edge. It was impossible to bend the frame with all that tension. I clamped it to a piece of plywood - that became the frame rack. Same principle - rigidly hold the good part and apply force to the bent part. The spring frame had torn the cover at the bottom corners, so I sewed patches on the inside to take the stress. I straighten the original bumper brackets - I just couldn't throw them away. The last thing I've done was to paint the area around the left quarter window above the crease. I had the glass out for new bright trim. The quarter glass is back in on both sides, and the interior is together. It turned out the right seat backrest was bent. I straightened it and now the reclining mechanism works again. It's time to repair the fan shroud, replace the leaking vacuum advance on the original distributor, time the ignition, adjust the carb, and see how well it runs.

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1491453.jpg[/img

rekbender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Part It Out or Fix It? Reply with quote

I finally took the '72 outside this afternoon to wash the dust off take a test drive around town. The past week has consisted of multiple, unrelated tasks. Replacing the rear window gasket with it's bright trim took an entire day - it had to be EXACTLY centered in the opening. While the glass was out, I replaced the cowl board backing and padding behind the carpet below the window and behind the seat. The window had leaked a some point, and the cloth binding beneath the window had deteriorated and the carrot was loose and puffy. I still have my Pfaff upholstery sewing machine from 40 years ago, so it wasn't hard to replace the binding. James, from our local Oreilly's, found a reman dual chamber vacuum advance for the original 205AN distributor (which came with the car), so I replaced the engine's Pertronix SVDA (with it's non-working vacuum advance) with the original distributor after I dis-assembled, cleaned and lubricated it. I went through my VW junk box and found a new bubble pack Bosch points and condenser from the '70's. After studying the manual for about and hour, I finally figured out how to time the thing at 5°ATDC at 800RPM. I even found some old, green vacuum retard hose in the junk box. It starts, idles, and runs great. I replaced the missing fan housing heater hose snout with one from an old housing, installed the un-molested tin breast plate, and changed the oil. The aftermarket headlamp switch had melted and partially come apart, and the Chinese dimmer relay had like wise failed. Renowil had a used OEM switch and I found a used relay in my box of old VW relays. I added two relays (high and low beam) at the fuse panel to keep the current through the ignition switch, dimmer switch and dimmer relay as low as possible. The last thing that needed immediate attention was the fresh air ventilation system. The control cables were disconnected when someone had the radio out. I couldn't stand it any longer, so I broke down and out a Brazilian reproduction rear bumper on for now. I'd still like to find a nice, used original bumper.
I've now spoken with all the previous owners except the original owner (he passed away in 2013 at age 87), and have a fairly complete history for the car. The second owner, Bob Patton, had kept the original 1972 Ohio license plates that were on the Super when he bought it in 2004. The first owner had put them back on the car at some point when he stored it with just 40,000 miles on the odometer. Bob knew the first owner well, and i spent e few hours on his front porch talking about the '72, his '59 Panel VW Micro Bus, and things in general. Thanks, Bob. I now need to gently polish the old paint, and maybe re-paint the left front fender which was re-painted some time ago.

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Part It Out or Fix It? Reply with quote

Rek - amazing. Belongs in the hall of fame of builds, rescues and restorations. Enjoy the ride!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Part It Out or Fix It? Reply with quote

This is definitely one of the best restoration threads ever! Absolutely brilliant work.
rlutterb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Part It Out or Fix It? Reply with quote

I feel very fortunate to have been able to buy this great example of a 72 from rekbender today. The car is everything he said it was, his repair work as depicted in this thread is incredible, and the car drives as solid as any bug I've ever driven. I'm so lucky to have been in the right spot at the right time! Finally back in the bug world after a few years without!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Part It Out or Fix It? Reply with quote

Awesome!

3 million rpm? Well there's your problem! No wonder it blew up!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Part It Out or Fix It? Reply with quote

WOW, what a thread, amazing work done by rekbender and nice to know it has found a new home of a fellow samba member. Congrats to all on keeping another VW on the road!

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Part It Out or Fix It? Reply with quote

Mr. rekbender, is that a Hillman in the garage?

rlutterb- hope you got some good drives in your new acquisition before the SNOW and salt came down.
rekbender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Part It Out or Fix It? Reply with quote

Yes, that was my 1965 Sunbeam Minx. Another whole story!
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Part It Out or Fix It? Reply with quote

Wow, incredible work.
You sir are an artist.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Part It Out or Fix It? Reply with quote

Congratulations on scoring this sweet bug. Smile. I'm glad you posted and bumped this thread up. It's a great build. All we need now is Springtime!!! Enjoy.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Part It Out or Fix It? Reply with quote

This thread is every ACVW person's dream.

A old beat up VW (with lots of life left) gets mended properly by a man who knows what to do, has the tools, and the time.

Owner lineage and car history is confirmed.

Sold to a fellow lover of ACVW to live out it's days scurrying around town and running down the road- as it was always meant to be.

I'm new to ACVWs (been a Mopar guy all my life) but have an affinity for classic cars (which is uncommon for my generation). This thread represents all that classic car ownership and motoring is about.

Well done Mr. Rekbender. I tip my hat to you in your skill and devotion.

And well done rlutterb. You are truly lucky to have this bug.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Part It Out or Fix It? Reply with quote

This thread is insane. Shocked

I love that this car was given a second chance at life.
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
rlutterb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Part It Out or Fix It? Reply with quote

I drove the bug quite a bit over the weekend. I don't think I've driven one in my life that drives this nice for never having been restored. The collision repair work is insane and the patina match is dead on.

And the heat, oh the heat! No exhaust smell, just HEAT and plenty of it.

Rekbender preserved a gem. Had a guy pull up to me in a parking lot and ask if I wanted to paint it.....no, I think I'll leave it as is.
The only changes planned are adjustable struts to bring that front end down (never slammed, just even with back or slightly lower) and maybe some polished aluminum 8 spokes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rlutterb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Part It Out or Fix It? Reply with quote

Got that high floating super beetle front end under control with the installation of some adjustable struts. Doesn’t detract from the original look but fixes that high front end. Never installed adjustable struts by myself before. First one took 4 hours. 2nd one good one hour!!! Also had to replace the master cylinder this weekend.

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Part It Out or Fix It? Reply with quote

It looks good Smile
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Part It Out or Fix It? Reply with quote

Thanks for making my day by posting this!

You have some serious skills-I am assuming you are in the body repair field.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: