Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Evaporative Emission Control EVAP/Charcoal, Carbon Canister
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Emission Control EVAP/Charcoal, Carbon Canister Reply with quote

avoll wrote:
So since its carberatored, where exactly does the big lines go out of the canister?
I have the smalled fuel line going from the T connection to the canister.
Then I think one of the big ones from the bottom goes back to the engine. Top one goes no where.

One of the large nipples gets connected to the nipple on your fan shroud (the location varies by year) and the other goes to the air cleaner.
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Emission Control EVAP/Charcoal, Carbon Canister Reply with quote

There is no air filter, except what's ontop of the carberator.
Its 78
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Emission Control EVAP/Charcoal, Carbon Canister Reply with quote

avoll wrote:
There is no air filter, except what's ontop of the carberator.
Its 78

The hose either needs to go into the air filter or be positioned just outside of the air filter so the fumes will be drawn into the filter.
sksamuelson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Emission Control EVAP/Charcoal, Carbon Canister Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Welcome.
That would work, it's how it was done in Europe. There is a small risk of fuel getting into the aircleaner on a hot day with an overfilled tank, but VW didn't seem to be too worried about it.

Wildthings wrote:
The air cleaner element acts somewhat like a flame trap so if one hooks the vent to outside of the element the fire risk is fairly minimal. Not forcing that last 1/4 gallon into the tank on a hot day is always good as well.

Thanks Busdaddy and Wildthings for the info! Much appreciated!
MaximumFinishes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Emission Control EVAP/Charcoal, Carbon Canister Reply with quote

Apparently some PO removed my canister and decided to do this with the fuel lines...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Should I worry about rerouting the lines where the are cut/bent over?
'98 Honda CR-V - Dee
'97 Subaru Impreza Outback - Dennis
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Emission Control EVAP/Charcoal, Carbon Canister Reply with quote

tank has to have venting and it needs to exit is an area where any excess gasoline dripping doesn't create a fire hazard.
KailuaVeeDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Emission Control EVAP/Charcoal, Carbon Canister Reply with quote

My 76 with weber progressive, is missing its charcoal canister, If I choose to continue without it should I somehow plug the outlet from the fan shroud housing it would typically be connected to? If so, any suggestions on what to use?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Emission Control EVAP/Charcoal, Carbon Canister Reply with quote

KailuaVeeDub wrote:
My 76 with weber progressive, is missing its charcoal canister, If I choose to continue without it should I somehow plug the outlet from the fan shroud housing it would typically be connected to? If so, any suggestions on what to use?

Just plug it with some high temperature RTV silicone. There is very little pressure so the silicone should never blow out. You will gain a tiny bit of additional cooling by doing this.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Emission Control EVAP/Charcoal, Carbon Canister Reply with quote

KailuaVeeDub wrote:

Hardware stores have little rubber/plastic "vacuum caps" or "screw protectors" that come in different colors for sizes. My local shops have white, green, and yellow, which are all around the 1/2" necessary to cap the hole snugly. They're also good for capping FI/vacuum components off for bypassing during diagnosis and troubleshooting.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KailuaVeeDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Emission Control EVAP/Charcoal, Carbon Canister Reply with quote

And this is why I love this forum. Thanks you
Daisy71Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Emission Control EVAP/Charcoal, Carbon Canister Reply with quote

So I'm guessing PO Installed the canister upside down. Would make attaching new hoses difficult and keeping them from kinking. Just confirming i need to turn over and shorten the hose since it will be straighter.

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Emission Control EVAP/Charcoal, Carbon Canister Reply with quote

I cleaned my canister today and I thought I’d share some pics for those who are thinking about doing the same. Mine is for a 77 with a type IV fuel injected motor and is plastic with the top being removable (I used a panel clip removal tool but a large screw driver would work as well).

I was more concerned about cleaning then I was about refreshing it. If I were to refresh it I would need activated charcoal pellets (steamed apparently) and I would want a new filler material to replace the two old filters. I would also need what looks like fuel safe foam that goes in the little cylinder part. Other than that it’s pretty straight forward.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Emission Control EVAP/Charcoal, Carbon Canister Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
I cleaned my canister today and I thought I’d share some pics for those who are thinking about doing the same. Mine is for a 77 with a type IV fuel injected motor and is plastic with the top being removable (I used a panel clip removal tool but a large screw driver would work as well).

I was more concerned about cleaning then I was about refreshing it. If I were to refresh it I would need activated charcoal pellets (steamed apparently) and I would want a new filler material to replace the two old filters. I would also need what looks like fuel safe foam that goes in the little cylinder part. Other than that it’s pretty straight forward.

I used chemical resistant scotch pads as the filter. There is one in there on the vent end somewhere that turns to gel. Make sure it is removed and replaced because it will be a melted solid goo. I forget where it is, maybe inside the circle.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Emission Control EVAP/Charcoal, Carbon Canister Reply with quote

Yeah it’s in the cylinder with the square plastic mesh attached.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Evaporative Emission Control EVAP/Charcoal, Carbon Canister Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Yeah it’s in the cylinder with the square plastic mesh attached.

I used solvent safe scotch pad. Red I think. It is solvent safe and if you get the right weave, lets the vapors thru. You can also trim it with a pair of scissors to get the size and shape you need. Auto body shop or paint supply will have them. I'd give you a part of one I have left but I have used it in the solvent tank for so long it is covered in ick.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: