Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Member... New VW owner... Total Rookie...
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poohbair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: New Member... New VW owner... Total Rookie... Reply with quote

New to the VW scene
New to The Samba forum
New to the air cooled world

Picked up my first VW a few days ago... purchased as a vehicle to run the Gambler 500 with.

I know 0 about VW's
I know 0 about this VW
The guy I bought it from knew 0 about it... so he could not tell me anything.

After trying to do some reading over the past few days along w/ work and my kids sports, I have basically figured that for a 72 VW in the PNW it is virtually rust free. The best I can tell the front beam is cut and turned. It is dual port, 12v, and has a 4 point cage. The front has baby limiting straps, and the rear has the shocks mounted to the cage.

It leaks oil, fires right up and idles great... runs bad with any throttle... farts and pops... haven't had time to look into it yet. Carb issue? Timing? Points? Vacuum leak? Who knows...

Eager to learn more about VW's and what I have, don't have, need to do, and don't need to do!

On the flip side, I am not a rookie to the car / truck / off-road scene... My current "baby" is a 68 Cougar that has an injected 5.0, T5, 8.8, 4 wheel discs, etc... My other rides are an injected 91 Samurai (for sale), pretty clean 77 F150 that I just purchased, an all original 73 Chevy G30 camper van, a 2000 Mustang for my daily driver / work car, and a few boats.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member... New VW owner... Total Rookie... Reply with quote

Welcome to Samba.

Please post pictures of your engine.

Regarding the hesitation, it could be many things so start with the basics:
Clean/fresh fuel @ 3psi.
Clean, vacuum-leak free distributor properly adjusted.
Valves set at .06
New plugs
New wires
Cap
Rotor
Set/clean points
Timing set correctly per distributor specs.

This should get you started.

Last edited by joey1320 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member... New VW owner... Total Rookie... Reply with quote

In brief, a complete tune-up is in order.

Get a Haynes, and Orange Bentley, and John Muir's "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive".

The former and latter will acquaint you with the beast you now own. The Bentley is a bit more for the professional, but you'll be able to understand it.

You can also Google VW Resource for many How-to's.

As Joey stated, show some pictures. Especially show the upper and lower engine. But you can include the exterior and interior. We never tire of that Wink .

Tim

Richard O'Brien
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member... New VW owner... Total Rookie... Reply with quote

Welcome to the samba.

The Gambler 500 if I understand it correctly is a 500 mile race with $500 dollar cars, with at least 50% of the course off road. There's also a poker rune involved.

A couple buddies and I ran across the road portion of the race last month while out on a Gorge cruise. Looked like fun for all involved. We did see a Baja in the group. So it's doable for sure.

You might want to take a look at the off road forum to get ideas as to how to improve your chances of surviving the Gambler 500. From what you describe you bought an off road/rally car that needs help getting you across the finish line.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member... New VW owner... Total Rookie... Reply with quote

Welcome to the sickness! Reccomend two great references for your new venture. Every ACVW owner should have both on hand.

Volkswagen Service Manual Super Beetle, Beetle & Karmann Ghia: 1970-1979 https://www.amazon.com/dp/0837616239/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_b8FmAbTCMMZ23

How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot https://www.amazon.com/dp/1566913101/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_n.FmAb7E6RYS1

Enjoy!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Poohbair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member... New VW owner... Total Rookie... Reply with quote

... I have been linking pics from Facebook to forums for YEARS....

Can't seem to make FB pics link to here and show up?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: New Member... New VW owner... Total Rookie... Reply with quote

Poohbair wrote:

Is that the Baja in question?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: New Member... New VW owner... Total Rookie... Reply with quote

Quote:
Valves set at .06mm

Pooh, being a newbie, be careful here- joey certainly meant .006 inches, not millimeters. .006" = 0.15mm which is the correct factory valve clearance for a 1600 dual-port engine that would've originally been fitted to a '72 US-spec Beetle. Valves are set with the engine stone cold, each piston being at top dead center so that both valves are fully closed; using a feeler gauge.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: New Member... New VW owner... Total Rookie... Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:
Valves set at .06mm

Pooh, being a newbie, be careful here- joey certainly meant .006 inches, not millimeters. .006" = 0.15mm which is the correct factory valve clearance for a 1600 dual-port engine that would've originally been fitted to a '72 US-spec Beetle. Valves are set with the engine stone cold, each piston being at top dead center so that both valves are fully closed; using a feeler gauge.

Oops - correct.

This is my own picture from when I did my valves.

AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: New Member... New VW owner... Total Rookie... Reply with quote

If you have the hardrive space the OEM VW shop manuals scanned into PDF may be of help too: (fair warning the download is huge- 6GB if I recall correctly)

CWAVE wrote:
Let's try these links, see how long they last!

VW.Workshop.Manuals.Complete.1969-1976
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gRAruyQ0kgPByWlIiot63_60L4QRalsB

VW.Workshop.Manuals.Complete.1969-1976 ZIPPED
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H9uKNbDgqHx3DnxomZIb84zWzJcXYoKu

CWAVE

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Poohbair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: New Member... New VW owner... Total Rookie... Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Poohbair wrote:

Is that the Baja in question?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

Yup... that is it.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: New Member... New VW owner... Total Rookie... Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba! Love the baja man, but don't post photos from Facebook. Use the gallery here, they won't disappear and it's really easy to use. Here's how to use it- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6
Whats the plan?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Poohbair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: New Member... New VW owner... Total Rookie... Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

Whats the plan?

I want to get it running good, do some cosmetic work to it, clean up the wiring, fix the dash, finish welding the cage, change the tires (thinking about a 7.00-15 all the way around), build a roof rack for a spare tire and fuel... and then run the Gambler in July.

After that, not sure Smile
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: New Member... New VW owner... Total Rookie... Reply with quote

Well you better start working, there are gonna be at least a few surprises, but I like the plan. Good luck!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: New Member... New VW owner... Total Rookie... Reply with quote

you may wish to make sure the gasoline has not gone bad if car sat for a long time.

The vw is very sensitive to having the correct dizzie and carb combination. VW changed these many times over the years, mix of these parts often leads to poor running. so check the part numbers of each.

If fuel pump is replaced, it is critical to check the fuel pressure (3 to 5psi) many time aftermarket pump have too high pressure, shimming the pump base is way to reduce pressure. also check the float bowl level, instructions on these is in the Big Orange Bentely Official VW Service Manual.

Valve adjustments are important also.

Good Luck, Bug On and big Fat VW welcome!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: New Member... New VW owner... Total Rookie... Reply with quote

And no "baby" pictures? I prefer the '70 because of the sequential trigger and thicker tail lights. LOVED the 351C my parents handed down to me way back when.

What I wouldn't give . . .
Poohbair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: New Member... New VW owner... Total Rookie... Reply with quote

unclewede wrote:
And no "baby" pictures? I prefer the '70 because of the sequential trigger and thicker tail lights. LOVED the 351C my parents handed down to me way back when.

What I wouldn't give . . .

See if this link to my Cougar pic works...

[img]https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21105994_10213898308273549_4728904712658988788_n.jpg?oh=452ed657e51f91e644a003384ee4678c&oe=5A88E025[/img]
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member... New VW owner... Total Rookie... Reply with quote

Had to copy/paste into new window. Yeah, the 68 is a bit more "angular" for my taste, but man. . . .

Mine originally was the pea soup green. Earl Schieb wasn't a great painter, but black was better than green.
Poohbair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member... New VW owner... Total Rookie... Reply with quote

unclewede wrote:
Had to copy/paste into new window. Yeah, the 68 is a bit more "angular" for my taste, but man. . . .

Mine originally was the pea soup green. Earl Schieb wasn't a great painter, but black was better than green.

Yeah, 67-68 are like mine and fairly square. 69+ they started getting a few curves.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: