Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help choosing mudflaps
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Need help choosing mudflaps Reply with quote

I'm on the fence on which mudflap set to pickup, and lookin for a little feedback, pro/con, good prices also welcome.

I've read some were hard plastic, some dont mount right..

Wanted to do it right. Trying to make an order this morning...

I think I'm going to have to steer clear of the Hard plastic ones.. but lack physical contact with the products I'm sure many of you own, or have some experience with directly.

So far, I've been lookin on CIP1, Van-Cafe, Gowesty, Busdepot to name a few..

I'm lifted a tad with larger tires that throw a lot of crap up.. trying to knock that down a tad, perhas keep the debris on my tanks to a min..

As my next major project I begin this weekend is to cut out the driver side rockerline/ I'm going to be right up in that.. ordering up some flaps seem like a good idea while I'm workin down there.
Curious to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Al

Last edited by dubbified on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
scobax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with the OEM German rubber flaps that mount into the side of the van. Couldn't be happier. Yes, the thought of drilling into the body did give me pause, but I got over it. They work wonderfully and look like they belong there.

Cons? Well, they sit back from the wheel arches about 4" so some mud will make it onto the sheetmetal. That part I don't get, but the durability flexibility and OEM look do appeal. Gad they're expensive.

Bus Depot had them a couple of years ago when I bought these. I actually only bought three since my van still had the driver side front one in place.

“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong, that's when adventure starts” -Yvon Chouinard

"It's not expensive, its priceless" -Unknown
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mounting hardware that comes with the SA mudflaps are kind of crappy. You'd be better off
using your own HW. The width isn't any thing to write home about either. If you are running wide tires
they will work but only so much. The front is were any flap will have it's limitations keeping spray
off the van. I'm not knocking these flaps, but they are what they are.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be a tad full of sh*t, but here goes.

I also have a 2wd road queen, so experiences are different.

My thought would be that if the van is lifted, you are doing 'some' off road? That means more likely throwing larger pieces? Wouldn't a flexible rubber flap work better than a solid hard flap? I have the stock Wolfsburg flaps, but I will have little pieces to kick up, just road crap.

Just my thought, only a tad though. Smile
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha.. Fancy that.. Me too! Atleast we're havin fun, or.. workin toward that end eh?

Until today my interest in choosing a flap was skin deep..

A primary decision driver for me, I didn't want a generic look (one size fits all) unless tasteful. keeping cost down is ideal.. hell they're just flaps.. but I wouldnt mind some 'dub logos.

Hard plastic is gunna be an issue. I'd prefer rubber/softer so they dont break when I take this on light trail..

So, yea.. best ideas or sources for softer flaps is ideal.

Thanks!
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help choosing mudflaps Reply with quote

What's the best set of mudflaps you can buy? Will be going on a 2wd Westy. I would prefer to use stock mounting holes but if not that' ok
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help choosing mudflaps Reply with quote

We bought the stock-fit rubber ones for up front, with the aluminum bar running level through them. Fits the standard left-side holes, right side needing drilling but it was painless.

Only downside is if you roughhouse enough to drag them on occasion, the bar can bend but is easy to straighten out again. Four years' full-time use and counting...

No part number, sorry!

The rears are a flexible plastic with a VW logo on them, also four years old and doing well.

Not much help, Sorry!

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Need help choosing mudflaps Reply with quote

Two individuals I respect the knowledge and understating very much. These seem to be very helpful suggestions. I dream of Terrawagen wheel arches some day...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&p=8147914

IdahoDoug wrote:
I've always had mixed feelings about mudflaps. I prefer to have them, but various original mudflaps I've had were poorly designed. Too long so you can back up over them. Shaped so they capture snow and the hard frozen slush of a northern climate and end up with so much weight suspended they do body damage. Shaped like a rigid potato chip so they crack when flexed, etc. The best mod I ever did was to have large flexy mudflaps so they were effective, and a hole at the bottom and a cable with S hook permanently attached behind and above them so I could pull them up out of harms way for offroading. I made them by purchasing a pair of HD semi truck mudflaps and cutting to shape with this extraordinarily tough material. I got 3 auto size flaps from each.

I also like the ones with the saw shaped lower edge for spray reduction that you see on flaps in Europe where they have legal standards for such things. Europe is not ahead of us on much, but their mudflap standard are!!!!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=687916

msinabottle wrote:
Winston loves his. They completed his 'two tone' look when we installed 'em. Ecce:

They are a tremendous product, and Winston's have held up well.

Best!

RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Need help choosing mudflaps Reply with quote

dubbified wrote:
I'm on the fence on which mudflap set to pickup

Al, you could do what the rednecks do and roll your own from some conveyor belting. Done correctly, they can be durable and not unsightly.

I gave a 5 foot length of new mine belting (all of 5/8" thick!) to a guy who made some hellacious mudflaps out of it for his Chebbie pickup. He was happy as a pig in slop with the results. I think he even cited them in his will to be passed on to his son.

Richie (near The Burgh)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help choosing mudflaps Reply with quote

Brandon, the front mudflaps shown on "Winston" two posts up are the ones we have.

These are the rears we have:
http://www.busdepot.com/j10884

— Colin Chapman
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help choosing mudflaps Reply with quote

Lots of folks around here kvetch about them, but I've had the SA mud flaps on my van for nearly a decade and haven't had any problems. I consider flaps to be a necessity up here in the PNW

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: