Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installed Pertronix distributor and coil; now engine won't start
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin1957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Installed Pertronix distributor and coil; now engine won't start Reply with quote

I installed a Petronix distributor and compatible coil in my '72. The engine turns over but doesn't fire. No such problem before the installation. Any troubleshooting suggestions would be appreciated.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed Pertronix distributor and coil; now engine won't start Reply with quote

Photos? How did you hook it up? Is the pic-up magnet in place? What about the thing that mounts where the points did is it in place? Did you remove the distributor when working on it? Not sure how you time one of these? Probably need a powered timing light. Did you re-Time the engine? Don't forget the rotor!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed Pertronix distributor and coil; now engine won't start Reply with quote

If you have the correct pertronix for your dist the issue could be...
wired wrong
bad pertronix part
the rotor can stick on the dist cap
Did you move the dist and change timing?
Good chance you are not the first to have this issue....
oh, looky here, you are in good company. Its fairly common so someone had the same issue as you.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/search.php?q=pertronix%20wont%20start
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed Pertronix distributor and coil; now engine won't start Reply with quote

Check the timing. Keep turning the distributor little by little until it starts and then you can time it correctly.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed Pertronix distributor and coil; now engine won't start Reply with quote

Is the cap seated and secure?

Not trying to be funny but I did that once.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed Pertronix distributor and coil; now engine won't start Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
Is the cap seated and secure?

Not trying to be funny but I did that once.

Just check everything since anything can happen. Start at the plugs and work your way back until you find something that works.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kevin1957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed Pertronix distributor and coil; now engine won't start Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Hopefully I'll figure it out this weekend.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed Pertronix distributor and coil; now engine won't start Reply with quote

Kevin1957 wrote:
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Hopefully I'll figure it out this weekend.

We’d be keen to hear back about what you find.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
okie mopar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Installed Pertronix distributor and coil; now engine won't start Reply with quote

Just bought a 74 Ghia, the man had put a new petronix with a new not rebuilt carb. Car starts easy but seems to be missing as your driving it. It is really bad about picking up power at a stop sign and getting going. Help me, I know nothing about these cars. Thanks Question Question Question
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Installed Pertronix distributor and coil; now engine won't start Reply with quote

okie mopar wrote:
Just bought a 74 Ghia, the man had put a new petronix with a new not rebuilt carb. Car starts easy but seems to be missing as your driving it. It is really bad about picking up power at a stop sign and getting going. Help me, I know nothing about these cars. Thanks Question Question Question

Could be any number of things, possibly the timing is out of adjustment or it's not advancing sufficiently. Let's see a photo of the carb and distributor. If it's still the vacuum advance distributor check the vacuum line plumbing and that the carb port it's connected to is appropriate.
okie mopar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Installed Pertronix distributor and coil; now engine won't start Reply with quote

No vaccum on it , it is the new distbuter with the red cap. I'll have to see if I can get some pictures of them. not very good on this puter either.
satterley_sr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed Pertronix distributor and coil; now engine won't start Reply with quote

If you pulled out the stock distributor and installed a 009 style distributor, the number one wire is in a different location on the cap. Stock at TDC rotor is pointing at about 10 o'clock. 009 it is pointing at about 4 o'clock.
okie mopar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed Pertronix distributor and coil; now engine won't start Reply with quote

I think I found the biggest problem, the electric choke isn't opening on the new carb. and I think it probably needs the valves set. at least that is a start before I take it to a shop. Does this sound like a plan to you ?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed Pertronix distributor and coil; now engine won't start Reply with quote

Does the choke have power to it? Should have 12V as soon as the ignition is switched on. Valves should be adjusted whenever you get a new car. You dont know when they were done last.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
okie mopar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed Pertronix distributor and coil; now engine won't start Reply with quote

There is power to the choke, it is just not set right. Thanks for info !
satterley_sr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed Pertronix distributor and coil; now engine won't start Reply with quote

The choke being closed should not cause a no start. I would check for spark first. Pull a plug wire, insert a screw driver in the boot, hold the blade of the screwdriver about 1/8 inch from the engine case. Have someone crank the engine. You should see a good spark between the blade and the engine case. Make sure there are no gas leaks first!

let us know what you find.
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed Pertronix distributor and coil; now engine won't start Reply with quote

Set the valves with the engine cold.

Monkey around with whatever screws on the carb it takes to keep the engine running. Wind it up to 3000rpm using a portable tachometer - set the timing to 30 degrees at 3000rpm.

Reset all of the carb adjustments to the neutral starting point. Begin adjusting carb as per Bentley manual.

This should get you a decent running engine. Assuming you have good spark, in the correct order and you don't have any vacuum leaks. Once it's running smooth run it up to 3k rpm and double check the 30 degrees. As mentioned, the 009 mechanical advance distributor isn't the best option, but it can work.
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed Pertronix distributor and coil; now engine won't start Reply with quote

I just went through this exact issue. My problem was that I was not TDC on the #1 cylinder when I timed it. Once I verified TDC on # 1 by turning pulley with my left hand and watching the valves move, and static timed to 7.5* BTDC it fire right up and idled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed Pertronix distributor and coil; now engine won't start Reply with quote

hazmatty3614 wrote:
I just went through this exact issue. My problem was that I was not TDC on the #1 cylinder when I timed it. Once I verified TDC on # 1 by turning pulley with my left hand and watching the valves move, and static timed to 7.5* BTDC it fire right up and idled.

Static timing and 7.5 BTDC is correct for some VW applications, but not a mechanical advance 009 style distributor.
okie mopar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed Pertronix distributor and coil; now engine won't start Reply with quote

It starts good it is after it gets warmed up when it start running bad with no power. The choke doesn't open any while it is running.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: